Author Topic: Ultrasonic cleaner: Yes, no, which one?  (Read 750 times)

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Ultrasonic cleaner: Yes, no, which one?
« on: October 20, 2018, 10:16:53 PM »
Trying to clean some guns, I understand these can often do a better job than manual cleaning.
If you have one, what do you think, and which would you recommend?

Offline Babbalou1956

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
Re: Ultrasonic cleaner: Yes, no, which one?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 11:52:46 PM »
After some research I got this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html. So far I've only used it once but will use it on my other guns for deep cleaning as needed. Worked great. My Ruger MK 3 was gunky enough to malfunction a lot & the trigger was getting mushy. This is the one gun I hate cleaning so I put it off for months. Well, 8 minutes instead of 4-8 hours. Used diluted Simple Green HD Pro which is actually purple. A few minutes into the cleaning cycle it was dark gray. When it finished I wiped down the pistol, blasted it with a can of compressed air & lubed it. Trigger is crisp again (Volquartsen) bolt glides smoothly & inside parts look shiny & new again. One potential problem some people have with this cleaner: They get water into the electrical parts under the tub & it quits. So they make Youtube videos on how to seal the top with silicone glue. No need to do that. I dumped out the water & left it upside down until dry, then wiped it out. Anyway, it was $80 for this or spend money on a MK 4 & another $180 for the same upgrades. Happy with this choice. I'm not sure I got all the sticky Froglube out of my 2 Ruger LCRs so they're in next.
(2) Ruger LCR 38
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Taurus TX22
Marlin 795 .22 rifle