Author Topic: Crazy Night!  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Ironhorseromo

• Expert Shooter
  • How Bout Them CowBoys!
    • View Profile
Crazy Night!
« on: April 13, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
I was invited to go hunt some raccoons at a friends house what we thought was outside the city limits. We started a fire and decided to empty my (new) mag to see how it would hold up. My friend has already notified his 2 neighbors what were doing before we got there so there would be no trouble. I emptied the mag and about 10 min later Waco PD shows up and makes us walk across the field with our hands in the air like we're criminals. I had my sidearm in my leg holster and that was it. We get to the car and immediately he takes my sidearm from me and proceeded to put me n cuffs and search me. 6 other squad cars show up on the scene and I have to explain the same story to to cop after cop after cop. They put me in the back of the car and there I impatiently wait. After 15 min they figured we were telling the truth since how all of our stories match and we were about 1/2 mile within the city limits. And decide to let me go with a warning and My Guns. They were not very bright about the situation even tho we all checked out and were on private property. They were also kinda rude. I just paid all my tickets off and have my DL reinstated. I can feel everything I've worked hard for just going down the crapper along with my guns & $$! Luckily I made home with all my guns and $$. Had it not been for the veteran officer, I think the rookie would of hauled me off to jail. He kept telling how stupid we were for discharging a firearm in the city limits. I told him that I've never been in trouble with guns or anything aside from traffic violations, I was a responsible gun owner and there's a gun range membership in my wallet. I really didn't care for those guys. Why can't we hire some real crime fighters who know what their doing. The vet was the only real cop there IMO.
Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid!

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
Re: Crazy Night!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 11:43:08 AM »
Hate to say it man but it was y'alls mistake and you were lucky that the ranking officer decided on a warning.
While I am not a fan of such laws, if they are in place and you violate them, wouldn't you expect to be treated as if you broke them?
I'd take it as a fortunate lesson in committing fully to being a responsible gun owner and making sure that you are within the law prior to doing anything with guns in the future.

ps. Think of how the media would make it sound if they got wind of this "story". More ammo for the anti-gun folk to paint "responsible gun owners" as dangerous and not so law abiding as they say.

"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline Ironhorseromo

• Expert Shooter
  • How Bout Them CowBoys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
I understand that I ignorantly broke the law. Which is no excuse. Just didn't expect to be treated so poorly over a simple mishap. HARD LESSON WELL LEARNED!! And yes I will be more thorough in the future.

ps.  my apalogies for making my fellow gun owners look bad.

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
Ouch. That's pretty rough man.  If I was a cop and came up on a group of people armed that were braking the law I'd be pretty cautious as well.  Lesson learned at least.  I'd be very happy to make it home with just a warning.

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline Ironhorseromo

• Expert Shooter
  • How Bout Them CowBoys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »
I'm still shaking from last night.

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »
Without knowing the exact layout of the area you were shooting in, there's not much I can say for sure.  The bottom line is there is most likely a city ordinance prohibiting the discharge of firearms within the city limits.  There is a Penal Code violation of Disorderly Conduct for discharging a firearm in a public place which is a class b misdemeanor, but if you were on private property, then that should not apply.  I highly doubt that they would have taken you to jail for a city ordinance violation.  Those are usually class c misdemeanors(similar to traffic tickets).  However, anytime a firearm is involved, the police are going to be very cautious.  I am surprised they did not have their own guns drawn while you were approaching them across the field.  Not necessarily pointed at you, but drawn in low ready.

Speaking as a rookie cop, who has just finished his FTO program, It is very likely that the rookie wanted to arrest you.  You're always gung ho while a rookie because you are being judged at all times by your supervisor.  There have been a few times that I was planning on arresting somebody, when my FTO informed me that, while we could arrest them, we probably shouldn't based on the nature of the offense.

Bottom line is, always know your city ordinances, and where the property you're shooting on lies.  And anytime you're carrying it is a good idea to keep your hands clearly visible at all times anyway.  For example, if you get pulled over by an officer while you're carrying, its a good idea to keep your hands on the steering wheel after giving your IDs to the Officer.

Offline Ironhorseromo

• Expert Shooter
  • How Bout Them CowBoys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. I don't blame any of those guys for doing their job. They did have their guns drawn at a  low ready. Know the Law is what I'm taking out of all this!

Offline lightskye

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Not the face!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 08:30:36 AM »
Don't feel too bad, man (as long as you learn from it).

I know what it's like to have a bunch of cops swarming all over you (with guns drawn and pointed).  Several years ago, I had my car stolen (and reported it as such to the police).  A couple weeks later, it turned up abandoned and stripped for some parts so I had to tow it from the impound lot and took it to my local car repair.  A week after it was fixed up again, I was driving in a mall parking lot late at night to pick up my girlfriend who worked there (about 11PM or so...2 hours after the mall had already closed).  All of a sudden 3-4 cop cars and another unmarked car simultaneously converged on me like I was Al Capone.  There was half a dozen uniformed cops and a couple plainclothes (off duty or detective I'm not sure but they had necklace badges pulled out, too).  They started barking orders at me to GTFO of my car with my hands up.

That's when I realized I had my seat belt on and wasn't sure if I was okay to reach down and unbuckle it.  All but one cop was behind me and they were pretty damn insistent that I get out NOW.  I kept my hands in the air and slowly pointed at my seat belt to the cop in front.  He does a visible double-take and then yells to the rest of them, "HE'S GOT A SEAT BELT ON!!!"  They all pause for a second and then change their commands to, "SLOWLY REMOVE THE SEAT BELT AND STEP OUT OF THE CAR!"  It was almost comical if it wasn't so life-threatening (guess most bad guys don't wear seat belts...?!?).  I took my seat belt off and quickly threw my car into park (I wasn't going to drag things out even more and ask them if it was okay to do that as well).

As I stepped out, I told them calmly, "I know why you're pulling me over.  I reported this car stolen 3 weeks ago and got it back.  I am the rightful owner of this vehicle (including giving my name)."  They still made me sprawl on the concrete and cuffed me until they could verify my ID.  I never had my car stolen before so I didn't know I was required to contact the police when it was recovered (I figured the tow company that recovered it had informed them if anything).

At one point (after they had me on the ground and cuffed), I started to get worried about my girlfriend standing outside waiting for me so I asked them to pick her up while we got this all sorted out (usually I'm always waiting for her in the lot before she ended her shift and this was a very bad part of town).  When I told them she was white (after they asked for a basic description), one guy immediately jumped in his squad car and peeled off in her direction.  It kinda surprised me that they took her safety as seriously as I did so I calmed down and let them take their time with me.  Later on, after my girlfriend was picked up and brought to the local HPD station (also part of the mall), the guy who picked her up said, "We have your boyfriend and he's not too happy with us."

Actually, I do appreciate that they were trying to catch a criminal but man was that scary as Hell.  Aside from when I had to draw my gun on someone for road rage (we were trapped in non-moving traffic and he was rapidly approaching my car window with verbal threats), that was probably the scariest event of my life.

Offline Beerman

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »
If you learned from it, it was a good day. Like you said, if it wernt for the veteran LEO you could have been in serious poop..
Dont go Ninjin, nobody that dont need Ninjin.

Offline Ironhorseromo

• Expert Shooter
  • How Bout Them CowBoys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:02:51 AM »
Good day I reckon. I could of dealt with spending the night in jail or even a citation. But don't take my guns!! I have no idea how long or how hard it would be to get em back!

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »
Lightskye, you were the unfortunate participant in what is known as a "felony stop."  And that is pretty much the standard operating procedure when it comes to a stolen vehicle.  It is good that everything ended well for you though.  As I'm sure you learned, it is very important that if you ever report something stolen/lost to the police that you let them know if you recover it.  The same applies to runaway children.  I can't tell you how many times we've taken a report for a runaway and the child returned home later that day or the next day but the parents didn't let us know.  Then a few months down the road we run into the kid somewhere and take them into custody as a runaway only to find out they were not missing anymore.

Offline CenTex

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »
I was invited to go hunt some raccoons at a friends house what we thought was outside the city limits.

I am not sure of the exact wording of the law(s) involved but part of our land is inside the city limits and I can shoot on that portion of the land legally. It might have to be registered as agriculture land...

This was passed at least partially because of ranchers leasing out hunting rights, a significant income producer. The cities are taking in more and more open land in their attempt to prevent adjacent cities taking in the land first.

I am a volunteer with the local PD and one of the senior officers confirmed this when I asked about the law...
From the leading edge of the Texas Hill Country

NRA Endowment, TSRA Life, GOA Life

Offline Ironhorseromo

• Expert Shooter
  • How Bout Them CowBoys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 11:30:53 AM »
The guy who owned the land bought the land 20 yrs ago when it was out of city limits. 20 yrs later the city crept up and surpassed him and his land. His fault for not knowing, my fault for not investigating the legal matter myself! It won't happen again!!