Author Topic: Any Fishing Gear Gurus here?  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Any Fishing Gear Gurus here?
« on: March 16, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
Howdy Fellas!

I just bought three Penn 6/0 rods at a garage sale for $12 total. The rods they were attached to are all complete losses (all snapped off almost exactly 12" above the reel) so I'm not really interested in learning anything more about them, but what I want to know is how much are the 6/0 reels worth, roughly?

They aren't in the best condition, because saltwater corrosion along the metal surfaces have begun to set in. Mechanically, two appear to be sound -- they reel, release, and their drag spurs can be adjusted without many problems, and could benefit for some lubrication. The third one seems to have some of the 40-50 lb. test line caught inside the reel itself, which is preventing the reel from spinning (it appears to do so without problems otherwise though).

I already have an Excellent condition Penn 4/0 reel, which I was told was the older "Made in the USA" type reel, that was worth $50. What do y'all reckon these 6/0 reels are worth? I know a guy that repairs them at a Flea Market because he deals exclusively in all types of fishing gear -- he repairs reels for a fee, and I'm thinking if I sell him one or trade him one, I can finance the repair and restoration of the other two... But at roughly $25-$30 per restoration, would I be shorting myself by giving him one, or would that be an even trade?

Thanks!

Offline Ron M.

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
Re: Any Fishing Gear Gurus here?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »
Red or black side plates? The 114H (red) sell new for about $120 to $130 new, 114 (black) sell for around $100 new. If they have a Newell or Tiburon frame kit, spool, drag washers, and gears $350 to $400 is a fair price. Black Spools are the light weight versions and more desirable.

Hope this helps,
Ron M.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:03:25 PM »
Not quite sure I even know what I was talking about anymore, with all this mentioning of red and black spools and frame kits.... I should mention that I have absolutely no experience of any kind with fishing almost in its entirety, and to that end I've taken some pictures:

I'm willing to bet these three are the "red" variant that you were talking about, but I'm totally out of my depth (  :P ) with these frame kits you're talking about. I highly doubt they have them though, because they look almost exactly like big versions of my reel, which is pretty ordinary.

Seeing the pictures.... What (if any) is your revised estimate? Sounds like they'll probably be worth around $50.

Offline Ron M.

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »
I'd say $50 tops. They're in rough shape, one has bent harness lugs and badly corroded drag assembly screws, it may not even come apart to rebuild. They are chrome plated brass spooled 114H reels. The grease port on crank looks to be totally screwed too. The frame kits I mentioned would be 1 piece anodized aluminum replacing all the cross bars (except the top) and the base. One of the reels has ball bearing spools bearings, I can't tell about the others. Older versions used oilite bushings instead of ball bearings.

Ron M.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 01:17:14 AM »
I almost forgot: Thank you very much for your help with getting some info on these reels. It turns out that everything together had a trade value of roughly $60-$65 today, when I went to visit the guy. He agreed that restoring them would be a tough gig, but that they would still likely be worth roughly $40 once repaired and lubricated.

Long story short, after some haggling, I was able to trade up to a really 9'0" good medium-heavy salt/freshwater rod and reel combo for myself, and a second smaller light-medium rod and reel combo, both of which I'd really like to see tested out! :thumbsup1:

Offline Ron M.

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 05:21:12 AM »
Not bad, You did better than I would have expected. Enjoy your new gear.

Ron M.