Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Shotgun Thread!  (Read 80312 times)

Offline tenring

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
The OFFICIAL Shotgun Thread!
« on: July 30, 2012, 05:47:29 PM »
NOTE from ADMIN  - Here's the official Shotgun Thread  :thumbsup1: - Admin - 7-30-12

-----------------------

Don't see an official thread, maybe Ship'll move this and make one?

Anyhoo, here's my latest lil project, got kinda bored with 18.5 and 20" barrels and such, nothing wrong with them at all and I have one already, but wanted something a little different and broader purposed, as in something to hunt with too (with the proper plug of course, unless the S hits the F in which case all bets are off).

Bought this nice used Remmy 870 with a 26" barrel , and the guy had already purchased a 5 round extension but not installed it, so I did the dimple surgery and now got 9+1 capacity, added a cheapy mag clamp mainly to get a forward attachment point for the sling, added the Talon swivels. Installed a Blackhawk stock and fore-end ($44.00 w/free shipping on Amazon, best price I have found), I also swapped out the front bead for a small Hi-Viz greenie-glowy.

Internally, I swapped out the plastic mag follower for an aluminum one, replaced the carrier dog follower spring with the heavy-duty version from the 1100, replaced the MIM extractor with the stronger forged steel one, and added a set of Mesa Tactical anti-walk trigger pins. Only thing left is an extended choke, don't like the "breacher" extension as it's too long, but may buy it and machine it back a bit, just looking to even out the barrel length with the magazine length for aesthetic reasons.

Cycling is a bit stiff, but very very positive and reliable, it's a beast fully loaded, real crowd-pleaser and serious zombie medicine. :thumbsup1:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:57:31 PM by Shipwreck »
The internet sucks. Too many whack-jobs, i'm retiring to farm now, goodbye.

Offline Decoy71

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical shotgun thread?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
I just picked up an old 1100 for just the same purpose ($225). Hunting/Home Defense. What is the purpose of the anti walk pins? Is pin walking out a common occurence?

Offline beason

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:55:12 PM »
Mossberg 500 that started life as a JIC pistol grip.

Now has:

ATI Talon furniture including tri-rail foregrip, adjustable/folding stock, and scorpion recoil reduction system. Stock mounted side saddle, with custom cheek rest setup.

Mossberg Breacher barrel, with Hi Vis Sight

barrel shroud

Surefire M951 weapon light

black sling

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: The OFFICIAL Shotgun Thread!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 08:58:07 PM »
Ok, made it official for U guys and set it as a sticky too :)  :th_thicon_idea:

Offline tenring

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
I just picked up an old 1100 for just the same purpose ($225). Hunting/Home Defense. What is the purpose of the anti walk pins? Is pin walking out a common occurence?

Pure overkill, I have never even heard of any kind of shotgun trigger pins walking, never happened to me, but for 11 bucks, i figured what the heck, cheap insurance for the possible zombieclypse, bonus: I now have spare parts, which is always a good idea.

Beason: that Mossy is killer! :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »
How do you like that ATI stuff? I just ordered a side saddle for my Maverick which is just sawed off and has a pistol grip. Been thinking of going to either the ATI or Blackhawk grip/stock.

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline beason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »
I dont have a lot of trigger time on it, but it feels solid. The foregrip is nice. and the rails have metal inserts where they mount. The pistol grip part has a really nice smooshy backstrap. this is the scorpion recoil reduction part. The stock is solid. It comes with an adapter to get a couple of degrees angle on it which feels a lot better. The mounting took a little work. The bolt that holds it on was just a touch to long. It would hit the safety bar on the trigger. I put a washer under it, and then the hinge would bind when i tried to straiten it out. so i had to take the dremel and put a relief notch in the end of the hinge so it would clear the screw head.

I could have probably just sourced a shorter screw, but i was a man on a mission, and it was late... LOL

I would suggest going with a receiver mounted side saddle. The one on the stock is nice, but its hard to get to without lowering the gun/taking your eyes off the target. You also cant use the cheek rest with it on there, unless you do like i did and modify it to still work.

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
Well right now mine doesn't have a stock at all, so the side saddle I'm in for is receiver mounted.

My main hang up on the stock is I put a pistol grip on it for a reason, lol. I wish I had one to handle and see if I liked the adjustable stock or not. Next meet I'll probably ask Dom to play with his. Lol. 

Jeb
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

Offline beason

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »
I like the feel of the pistol grip setup I have. You can't hip shoot it, but it's very controllable. I've cleared the house one night with it. Some stuff hanging from the ceiling in the garage let go in the middle of the night. Sounded just like someone coming through the back door. It was very manageable.

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »
I've cleared my place with my shotty when I first got it and it had a stock. Horrible. Put the pistol grip on it and cut it down and it is MUCH more manageable.  It's rougher on the wrist or course, but is still easy to shoot accurately.

Jeb

Offline tenring

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »
This piece intrigues me, all metal forend, you can bolt on rail sections on the sides, and I believe it has a permanent rail on the bottom, was thinking of trying it and using a Magpul AFG on it, has anyone tried an AFG on a shotgun forend?

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 06:46:11 PM »
I was wondering that very thing Ten

Jeb

Offline beason

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
i think you would be ok with a semi auto, but with a pump, you may have grip issues pushing the action back forward. I could be wrong though, ive never used a AFG, but just from looking at them, it seems they are made to pull, not push.

Offline Trinidad Kyle

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »
I just got a mossberg cruiser 500. How do the PGS' shoot? I have never fired it. It is my new HD gun. Gonna get an AK for the trunk.

Offline Lawdog1911

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »
Missing my 590

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
All those pics make me want to cut the rib off my barrel and get a shield. They look sweet.

Jeb

Offline Trinidad Kyle

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The OFFICIAL Shotgun Thread!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
Missing my 590

Woh woh, hold on here, where do I get that bayonet mount and knife? :D

Offline Lawdog1911

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 01:01:01 AM »
Mossberg 590 has the Bayonet lug and the knife can be found on Ebay for like $60.

Offline jared

• BANNED
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 07:30:31 AM »
so that was yours up at the shop last summer

Offline mesinge2

• Single Stage Reloader
  • NRA Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Safe Direction Firearms Instruction