Author Topic: Who camps with their dogs?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
Who camps with their dogs?
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »
Anyone take man's best friend with you when you go?  Just curious.  Do the parks even allow it?  And if so what do you do with them when it's bed time?  Leash them to something?  They always sleep on the floor of my bedroom at the house, but a tent would be pretty rough to share with two 100lb dogs.   :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: I guess I could always get a bigger tent.   :th_thicon_idea:
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

BG1960

Re: Who camps with their dogs?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »
That's why we bought the RV.  Hard to take two LabraMutts and one PitBull with ya on an Electra-Glide. 

When we did tent camp we took the two Labs with us.  They freaking loved tent sleeping.  No Leashes, just dogs hoggin' up all the space.

Offline SpecOpsDocRet

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »
We take both of our Rottie's with us unless we go to a park the forbid's them.  As far as what they sleep on I bring a couple of poncho liners for them.
Both dogs are protection trained and certified search dogs which was handy 2 years ago when we were at Big Bend and they found a 4 year old that wondered off.
" You can die like a Tiger or live like a pussy "

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:01:08 PM »
That's awesome man.   :th_thicon_idea:
Jeb
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • I'm the Lord of the Platypi. Seriously.
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »
I occasionally do some very remote canoe camping up in Quebec with people from my college. Some of the guys who organize the trip own dogs and bring them along. One of them even has a pack for his dog and makes it carry gear on portages! We camp on islands in the middle of lakes, so the dogs usually just roam free when we get into camp. Some of them let their dogs sleep in their tents, others do not.

Even in August nights in Quebec can be cold, a few of these guys have jokingly referred to their dogs as PhDs, or "personal heater-dog." The dogs hate the canoes though. They just sit in them for hours at a time and whine at each other. Nothing quite so spooky as canoeing across a perfectly calm lake in heavy fog with the only sounds being your paddles and some whining dogs!
I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Offline Nate C.

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »
My dog weighs about 75 pounds. He is a participant on every camping trip. Texas state parks welcome pets; you just have to keep them on a leash at all times, and make sure they stay on the trails when you are hiking. At night, we tie him to the picnic table or the truck bumper. He normally sleeps on the bed at home, but my tent is pretty small and having the dog inside there would be a little cramped.
Every Texas gun owner should be a member of the Texas State Rifle Association.

Offline michaele

• Dreams of Owning a Gunshop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
Just got back from grandfathers out in the middle of nowhere.    The pups loved it,  swimming in nasty pond,  running in yards that never end.   About the closest to camping they will ever get,  we tied them up with cable leash.   

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
Who camps with their dogs?
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 09:18:29 PM »
Cool.

Jeb

Offline alexrex20

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Bullets are fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »
my dog goes with me most of the time. the only time she does not is when the park does not allow them on the trail (Big Bend Nat'l, for example). also, Big Bend terrain is not the friendliest on dogs paws. my dog stays on a long lead all day while we're at the campsite, and she sleeps inside the tent with me. whether it's just me and her in my 2-person tent, or in our "Taj MaTent" 8-person tent, she always stays inside the tent at night. keeps her away from the mosquitoes and other bugs.

my dog loves the water so i try to organize camping trips around her and which parks she would enjoy. when she's in the water i let her "loose" though she still has a short 3ft lead attached to her collar so she can be quickly apprehended if needed. she's pretty laid back though and will not run off, mess with other people or even other dogs. she's very obedient, but i still am very cautious when/where i let her loose because it is not allowed and if someone complains, i am entirely at fault.

Offline alexrex20

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Bullets are fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »
i wish i had photos, but my dog loves to go kayaking, tubing, paddleboating, canoeing, or just playing fetch in the water. she's a major chick magnet when she's just chilling on the front of the kayak as we paddle up/down the river. :D

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:29:05 AM »
 :rocknroll2: :rocknroll2:
Jeb

Offline jared

• BANNED
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
I dont camp, and never really have. Closest thing ive done was stay in an rv for a week. My dog is a retriever and terrified of water

Offline Colonel

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
My dog is a retriever and terrified of water

Wut?
Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie? - Josey Wales

Offline jared

• BANNED
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »
yup. big baby golden retreiver

Offline Rubberdown

• Can Pack a Range Bag
  • One shot.... One miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
I take my lab with me when I go camping. I don't bring the other two because they have a tendency to bolt after critters, where as my lab won't move an inch unless I tell him to.  The only thing that sucks is brushing him all off before you put him in the tent at night. don't want mud and stuff in there. I got him a pack and he carries stuff for us as well, I figure he weighs more than half what I weigh, he can carry a couple pounds.

Offline alexrex20

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Bullets are fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »
I sleep in a hammock and my dog sleeps beside/below me. I'm sooo over brushing off my dog trying to get her clean enough to sleep inside a tent. :D

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »
Never been camping seriously before, but I doubt I'd be able to take my pets with me. One of them's a Shepherd who's getting on in years so he prefers his pillow to wandering around mountainsides for days at a time.

The other is a Chihuahua dog that would probably chase, and then get eaten by the first garter snake we came across, unless I carried her. :th_thicon_lol: