Author Topic: Conceal carry insurance?  (Read 22143 times)

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#!± Different Day
    • View Profile
Re: Conceal carry insurance?
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »
IF that bill passed then she would have had to go in front of grand jury.  REGARDLESS OF HOW OR WHY SHE KILLED SOMEONE.  Castle law or no, it wouldn't matter.  Now the Castle Law would have got her off the hook, but she'd still be there in front of a grand jury anyway. 

And if there was a general "Lawsuit Insurance" that would be a good idea there sir.  Seeing as how you have CAR insurance, and HOME OWNERS insurance, where does that leave me not insured?  Walking around in public.  What kind of insurance might I consider needing for this?  My GUN insurance.   :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:  We didn't say that EVERYONE will need it, and I'd hope to NEVER need it.  But it doesn't make it a bad idea.

Let's take the guy who fired his gun as a warning shot at that burglar and got arrested.  http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/nh-man-stops-suspected-burglar-20120222

Couldn't have hurt then to have a lawyer well versed in firearm laws ready. 

How about the WWII vet that GOT CLEARED by the grand jury, but couldn't get his guns back? 
http://texasgunforum.com/index.php?topic=5774.0  <--------our discussion on the topic

Couldn't have hurt to have a lawyer on hand who knew the ins and outs of getting his weapons back after he was cleared. 

Want some more "examples?"

Are examples of the need in such a lawyer without that bill being passed.  I understand I'll never make the whole "Civil Immunity" thing clear enough, so I'll just say we can agree to disagree.  Lol. 
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline seniledavid

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »

Are examples of the need in such a lawyer without that bill being passed.  I understand I'll never make the whole "Civil Immunity" thing clear enough, so I'll just say we can agree to disagree.  Lol.

YES! I saw and read your links the first time around... there is no need to make the font BIGGER and RED  :P

I agree, it's pretty screwed up in both instances. The NH law is pretty screwed up not to mention how unfair the poor guy can't get his guns back. I don't have an answer, it's pretty f-ed up situation, but these (especially the Houston man) could be freak cases. I'm sure that other people have shot a BG and weren't charged and kept their weapons not too sure about NH gun laws.

Having insurance is never a bad thing... but I'd buy it if i felt it was necessary not out of fear that "the sky is falling" .
Make dead... PERMANENT!

Offline Dreamliner787

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »
Sky isn't falling, but it's good to have a nice stock pile of AMMO!   :rocknroll2:

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 08:26:11 PM »

Well some people feel it is necessary.  So why does that make them ambulance chasers for providing this service.  And now you're acting like having insurance is never a bad thing, but just a few posts ago this -

Come on now, stay on topic and let's not go sideways.  What applies to all CHL holder is when ever we engage with our weapons we open the legal pandora's for both criminal or civil litigation.  Whether he's guilty or not he'll face a huge amount legal issues.  Again, these legal issues will apply to all of us CHL when we draw our weapons out and engage.

I don't believe that a Texas CHL holder requires "insurance" as long as he/she follows the Chapter 9 of the Texas Penal code and understands the law about using deadly force.
IMO, this is why I'd like to see other states adopt our standards, simply because it's clear in black and white with no room for vague interpretations.

If one is prone to illegally brandishing his/her weapon or feeling some false superiority over innocent law abiding citizens... then by all means, insurance is a great idea. For everybody else... put the money towards a gun to add to the collection.

Like that big letters?  Sometimes it's the only way to get a point across I guess.  Seemed to work last go around.   :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:

But that little comment made it sound like you thought anyone who felt they needed insurance was probably "prone to illegally brandishing his/her weapon, etc etc etc etc".  Meaning all of US that said that seems like a good idea are all idiots with a gun.  Just saying, there ARE instances that you can SEE that having that lawyer would have been a good thing, without being an idiot with a gun. 

Just my opinion though.  And although we are technically still on topic, I think I'm done with this discussion as it's going nowhere fast.   :th_thicon_idea: 

So, agree to disagree like adults?  Cool.  Let's move on.  We all know my opinion, and we all know your opinion, no point in

:th_thicon_surprised:
Jeb
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
Castle doctrine... in your car... in your home... on the street in a parking lot...whatever.

Even if in your own home... If you shoot someone in self defense, you are an idiot if you don't get an attorney before you talk to the police. Even police officers who shoot someone get an attorney before they sit down at the station for an in-depth interview.

This was discussed before - see here:

http://texasgunforum.com/index.php?topic=172.msg992#msg992

You say "I was in fear for my life" when he attacked me/tried to kill me.... when they (the police) ask what happens... Just so they know who is the good guy/bad guy. Then, say nothing else until you speak to an attorney...

And KEEP an attorney until after the grand jury... Politics, the news, race, etc... can all have the public deciding your guilt before you get to trial. Typically not - but sometimes, yes...

So, while I don't have that attorney insurance, I don't think its a bad idea...

I've seen people seemingly railroaded before... Don't NOT get an attorney and think you'll be okay just because you should be...

Offline seniledavid

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »
Sky isn't falling, but it's good to have a nice stock pile of AMMO!   :rocknroll2:

OH YEA!!! You got that right! Especially with these prices. Been seriously contemplating getting a reloading setup going.  :thumbsup1:
Make dead... PERMANENT!

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »
I've been thinking about the same thing.  Jared just took the plunge, I think I'll see how it goes for him first.   :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:  All of my calibers are common and pretty cheap to start, so I don't know how much that would actually help me.  I guess if SHTF you could have powder, primers, and bullets stock piled and police your own brass.  Never a bad skill to learn either way though.   :th_thicon_idea:
Jeb

Offline seniledavid

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 08:46:12 PM »
I've been thinking about the same thing.  Jared just took the plunge, I think I'll see how it goes for him first.   :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:  All of my calibers are common and pretty cheap to start, so I don't know how much that would actually help me.  I guess if SHTF you could have powder, primers, and bullets stock piled and police your own brass.  Never a bad skill to learn either way though.   :th_thicon_idea:

Sounds like we need to morph or start a new Reloading - Ammo Stock Piling topic.  :th_thicon_idea: I have a few ideas on the subject. Start one up Jeb.
Make dead... PERMANENT!

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »
Roger that.   :th_thicon_idea:
Jeb

Offline seniledavid

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »

So why does that make them ambulance chasers for providing this service.  And now you're acting like having insurance is never a bad thing,....

i've explained why I see them as ambulance chasers, because IMO they milk off fears of the Martin/Zimmerman ordeal or other anti-gun news.

But that little comment made it sound like you thought anyone who felt they needed insurance was probably "prone to illegally brandishing his/her weapon, etc etc etc etc".  Meaning all of US that said that seems like a good idea are all idiots with a gun. 

Nah, I think you read too much into it.

Just saying, there ARE instances that you can SEE that having that lawyer would have been a good thing, without being an idiot with a gun

Most definitely, I just see the insurance as being overly redundant and lets be honest, for $131.40 a year for legal representation sounds a bit "too good to be true." 

So, agree to disagree like adults?

Yep, We mostly agree  :thumbsup1:
Make dead... PERMANENT!

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2012, 09:52:05 PM »

So why does that make them ambulance chasers for providing this service.  And now you're acting like having insurance is never a bad thing,....

i've explained why I see them as ambulance chasers, because IMO they milk off fears of the Martin/Zimmerman ordeal or other anti-gun news.

The Texas Law Shield business has been around since 2009 at least so this isn't something that popped up to take advantage of recent tension.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline seniledavid

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »

The Texas Law Shield business has been around since 2009 at least so this isn't something that popped up to take advantage of recent tension.

Even so....  At $131.40 a year for legal representation sounds like snake oil to me.
Make dead... PERMANENT!

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »
Like I mentioned before, it's just based on the insurance model, 10,000 members more than covers the 1 that ends up needing representation.

Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2012, 11:02:11 PM »
From the Texas Law Shield website
Our firm was founded in 1994. All of our attorneys are licensed in the State of Texas, holders of concealed handgun licenses, ardent defenders of the Constitution and all citizen's legal right to keep and bear arms. We are pleased to introduce our founding members and owners of our law firm, Walker, Rice & Wisdom, P.C.

Started in 1994
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »
Yeah I saw that CJ but figured that was the firm itself and not the Law Shield program as the texaslawshield.com domain was registered in 2009.

Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline lightskye

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Not the face!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2012, 12:59:09 PM »
I purchased Texas Law Shield primarily in the event I ever needed to defend myself in public with my CCW.  The fact that they'll assist in "castle" defense situations is an added benefit.

The primary question I pondered before deciding to go with Texas Law Shield was simply: Who am I going to call (particularly at night) if I wind up going to jail because I defended myself?  I don't know very many lawyers (and none of them experienced or specialized in defense proceedings) and calling my family just to have them stay up all night trying to find an attorney that'll answer the phone doesn't seem too smart neither.

I train specifically to defend myself.  Texas Law Shield is trained specifically to defend people like me.

Offline Dreamliner787

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
Since 1994 has Texas Legal Shield represented CHL either in a criminal or civil case?  I mean conceal carry related not DWI or other types legal issues.

Offline vitus

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
i took my CHL in march and bought the TEXAS LAW SHIELD...FYI i had a legal questions and called them up today and the got my answer for free as im a member.

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2012, 08:35:32 PM »
 :th_thicon_idea: :th_thicon_idea: :th_thicon_idea: :th_thicon_idea: :th_thicon_idea:
Jeb

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »
Just wanted to mention Armed Citizens’ Legal Defense Network
Sounds very good and affordable, and I particularly like their network experts that are available for trials.

Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony