Author Topic: Survival Point Shooting  (Read 858 times)

Offline DoubleTap

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
Survival Point Shooting
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »
How many of you fellow forum members practice the P&S technique....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4kNmEYyEk

scap99

Survival Point Shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »
I point shoot for up close drills, but I still use a two handed grip and pull the trigger with my trigger finger.

A good friend of mine gives tactical classes, and he likes to set up his drills and scenarios using the statistical 21 foot distance for engagement.  

At this distance I don't focus on my front sight, but do watch it tracking up and down.  As long as it looks like it's somewhat close to being centered in the rear sight I pull the trigger.  When we are placing doubles and triples on a single target, I just try to see everything from an almost 3rd person perspective as if I am watching from a camera perspective.

Offline Pat-inCO

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
Survival Point Shooting
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
That sounds amazingly like something that some guy is looking to get credit for having "invented" rather than something that is effective.   :p

Several years ago I was watching a video demonstration by Bill Jordan (ex Border Patrol, RIP). He would draw the gun. fire from the hip and shoot aspirin tablets off of a table. He shot so fast it was a blur. The next time I was at the range during the middle of the week I decided to try it, but just using regular targets and NOT the aspirin tablets (I can shoot, but not NEAR at that level).

I tried at eight paces, or around 22-23 feet. Gun in the holster, just draw and fire "from the hip". First try was comical. :facepalm:  First round was in the dirt about a foot under the target carrier, second round was at the bottom of the target carrier. I stopped, holstered the gun, and asked a buddy that was there what I did wrong. He said you are in too much of a hurry, slow down and try again.  :nuts:  Turned out to be excellent advice.  :)

In about a full box of ammo, I was getting 100% in the black on three targets (no more than two rounds per target and no 1,2,3 or 3,2,1). I then proceeded to burn up another 100 rounds, because it was FUN!  :thumbs:

I disagree with the premise of the guy in the video. If you draw and have your index finger "in register" you will have part of what he says. You then curl the index finger on to the trigger and shoot. IT WORKS. You do that as part of your safety training, just finish the draw by shooting, USING THE INDEX FINGER.

If you are skeptical, see if you have a full length mirror that you can use. Pace off four steps (effectively eight because of the reflection). TRY IT without a gun in hand. You will find that you are pointing (with the index finger) right at where you are looking at the image. Presuming you get the same results that I did, try it at the range when you have that range to yourself or only with buddies that also want to try it.

BE CAREFUL!
YOU WILL EXPEND A WHOLE LOT OF AMMUNITION having fun with the exercise.  :rocknroll:
I\'m not afraid of terrorism, I was married, TWICE!  :scream: