Author Topic: Need and AR15 Optic recommendation.  (Read 1988 times)

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
Need and AR15 Optic recommendation.
« on: December 12, 2011, 12:06:44 AM »
I have finally ordered all the parts required to assemble my AR15.  Except the sights.  Unfortunately I've run into a bit of a hickup.  My original plan was to put flip up sights on the rifle.  I'm putting a low profile gas block with no rail so the front sight would have to be attached to the handguard rail.  Unfortunately I've recently learned that the rail on the handguard I ordered sits 1/2 in higher than the receiver.  So now in order for my original plan to work, I'd have to get a 1/2 in riser for the receiver.

I have $260 to spend on this. 

My question is this:  Should I go ahead and get the riser and follow my original plan, or should I get a red dot instead?

If the answer is get a red dot, then can you recommend me one that will cost me less than $260?

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
Re: Need and AR15 Optic recommendation.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:47:42 AM »
I've also been told that if you mount your front sight on a hand guard that is not free floating, that it will not keep it's zero.  Is this true?

Here's the hand guard I'm using btw: http://www.abarms.com/AB_ARMS_MOD1_p/abam1b.htm

Offline Ron M.

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 06:07:51 AM »
It's true to an extent the zero will change, unless your handguards are completely immobile. 99% of that type of handguard has a small amount of side to side play.

Take a look at a Vortex Strikefire red dot. The AR15 red dot only model is a good sight at a very reasonable price. You can often find them for under $200 and at SWFA sometimes as low as $150.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-1x30-StrikeFire-Red-Dot-30mm-Sight-P44622.aspx

Ron M.

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »
It's true to an extent the zero will change, unless your handguards are completely immobile. 99% of that type of handguard has a small amount of side to side play.

Take a look at a Vortex Strikefire red dot. The AR15 red dot only model is a good sight at a very reasonable price. You can often find them for under $200 and at SWFA sometimes as low as $150.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-1x30-StrikeFire-Red-Dot-30mm-Sight-P44622.aspx

Ron M.

Thanks Ron!  That looks nice.  I might end up getting something like that and eventually replacing the low pro gas block with a YHM flip up block.  I want to make sure I have some iron sights on the rifle too eventually, and I want them out of the way until I decide to use them.

Offline tigerx2000tx

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
Check out primaryarms.com they have gotten good reviews on ar15.com on their red dot scopes.  You can get a setup with a quick detach mount for about $160 or so.  They are located in Pearland if you want to drive down to their warehouse during the week to play with different scopes.
I had social media growing up... it's called "Playing Outside"

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:16:09 PM »
I ended up buying a Vortex Strikefire off Gunbroker for $113 shipped.  Thanks for the tips guys!

Offline psiryd2000

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »
how do u like the Vortex?

Offline Dreamliner787

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »
For the value the Strike Fire is great.  It's hard to spend so much money get an optic that's half the price of the rifle, but if you have a good quality rifle then why not go with good optics.

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
I really like it so far.  I haven't gotten it to the range to get it sited in yet though.  I'll let ya'll know Monday how well it works out.

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 09:57:43 PM »
For me personally, I'm not too worried about a great quality optic at this point. My eyes are good and I'm not doing anything that requires precision yet.
When I get into any precision based usage, then I'll have to stop being a cheapskate and get good optics.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »
So how did it work out 40k?  I'm going to be ordering my AR soon, and I've been going through the optics at opticsplanet. Holy crap at all the options!!  I like the EOTechs, but I've never tried a holo sight. I've shot with some red dots and I've never been a big fan. Of course none have ever been great quality.  I like the idea that later you can get a magnifier for the EOTechs and AimPoints.  I agree some BUIS are always a good idea.
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
It worked out like this at 50 yrds

I'm happy with it.  I would definitely recommend it.  I'm thinking about trying out a compact 3 or 4 x scope next.