Author Topic: When did talking/texting on the phone became part of driving?  (Read 4430 times)

Offline SpecOpsDocRet

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: When did talking/texting on the phone became part of driving?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »
I hate this too.  Texting while driving is my biggest beef after nearly rear ended a few time's I made myself a promise if I get rear ended by some bozo because he / she was texting they are going to have to see a proctologist to get their phone back !
" You can die like a Tiger or live like a pussy "

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »
Radio up, phone on hip.  I saw on Mythbusters they tested "drunk" driving and driving while taking a test I think it was.  Lol, but mentally engaging the driver was the most dangerous out of their tests. 
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline Trinidad Kyle

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »
Ive got a bluetooth stereo in my truck but I still have to dial numbers or click on a name. I also listen to my rhapsody on my iphone. I am bound to get a ticket saying I am texting at some point because I changed a song or dialed a number.  :sick2:

Texting while driving is extremely stupid and I dont do it but so is making something illegal that is such a grey area like this.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Janitor
  • Administrator
  • Ammunition Expert
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »
i read somewhere that onstar is going to do texting and facebook/twitter??? :thinker:
yeah right theres no way some weird womans voice is going to replace these peoples NEED to look at the screen.

also whats funny is almost everyone has a smart phone these days. but i NEVER see anyone using "voice to text".

i would say almost all of the posts i do here on the forum, from my phone, are using voice to text. i dont text and drive all the time, but i am guilty of doing it at red lights. but once again, voice to text. i only have to do a few clicks, then i say what i need to say.

personally i think the direction cell phones are going is once the accellerator notices you are going more than a certain speed for more than a certain amount of time, certain functions on the phone will cut off, and the only way to use those functions would be through bluetooth, such as linked to the car cpu, or bluetooth headset.

i imagine this will be a reality before my son gets his license (he is almost 4)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Janitor
  • Administrator
  • Ammunition Expert
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
also i would like to add--

in ny , where i was stationed the last 4 yrs, state law- no talking no texting while driving. no exceptions.

and they REALLY enforced it on the army base. i mean like if a person, be it soldier, spouse, civilian, yard guy, whoever- is using the phone, and a SGM or other higher up pulls up next to them, they will honk and make the person put the phone down.

the MPs would u turn and follow you to give you the fine.

So coming back to Houston was a culture shock for me. I remember when i came home from leave from Iraq i tried driving on the freeway and kept slowing down to 35 (fastest i went on patrols)... when you drive 12+hrs a day at 35mph it gets pretty routine lol.

so personally i would LOVE for Texas to adopt those laws, but i really dont think we have the manpower to be able to write all those tickets.

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
personally i think the direction cell phones are going is once the accellerator notices you are going more than a certain speed for more than a certain amount of time, certain functions on the phone will cut off, and the only way to use those functions would be through bluetooth, such as linked to the car cpu, or bluetooth headset.

I would love to see this happen but I don't expect it will since obviously every passenger in a car or bus would be prevented from using their phones.

I think cars that do the driving for us will end up being the solution even after every city/state/locale makes it illegal.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony