Author Topic: Cheap leather work.  (Read 6413 times)

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap leather work.
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 08:16:42 PM »
I'll agree with Dom and let's get this back on track.

So 40k, if the general public can't order stuff do the inmates only have work when the employees want something?  Does that keep them very busy? I mean could you take orders from your family and such and have them do it?  Just wondering how it works.

I believe they can make things to send to their families.  They just have to pay for materials.  Their families in turn can go sell them or give them as gifts.  The craft shop inmates do it to keep busy so I'd imagine they find reasons to piddle.  Also it's not just officers that get to use the craft shops.  There are plenty of civilian personnel that work in the prisons as well as employee's families and friends that can place orders through the employee.

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
So one of the Majors at the unit I work at had an inmate paint this mural up and had it hung in the Officer's Dining Room.  This thing is pretty awesome.  The inmate said he would have charged $1500 in the free world, but only charges $150 in the prison.  These pictures were taken before the Navy seal could be painted on so it's missing that one.  Check it out.

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »
Oh man that's pretty awesome!
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline jared

• BANNED
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 01:33:10 PM »
wow that one gave me shivers. amazing work, that is awesome. hopefully if he gets out, he can get back on his feet and make money doing this.

Offline Lone Rider Leather

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Too Damn Old to fight.............with fists
    • View Profile
    • LoneRider Leather
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 08:51:13 PM »
There was an EXCELLENT leather inmate at the unit close to New Boston that was in for life. He made everything you can think of from Saddles to gunleather, beautiful stuff! He made alot of $$$. It went to his restitution and to his family. Too bad he got shived and died last year :(  One of the Cowboy Clubs I shoot at used him to make special items as awards. When he died the head of the club asked me if I could make the same things....No Way, maybe in 20 years of practice!! 
"Keep the Change Bob"
"You gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
"Buzzards gotta' eat, jus like worms"
"Dyin' ain't much of a Livin'"
Happy Trails

Offline Pistolero

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
    • Pistolero Handgun Training
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
Recently I was at a family gathering with a family that I go to church with. One of the older gentlemen in the family had on a baseball cap with the name and logo of a well known local holster company. I asked him if he wore one of their holsters and he told me that he was a leather worker at their shop. I asked him where he learned to do leather work, and some family members started to laugh. He told me that he spent some time in the pen and learned how to work with leather there!
Funny, he's a convicted felon, so he can't own a gun, but he's making the nice leather that some of you are wearing today!
I won't use the name of the company in order to keep things private.
God and the soldier we adore
  In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
  God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.
www.pistolerohandguntraining.com

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 09:28:59 PM »
 :th_thicon_lol:  A good case to show that those types of programs actually work for some! 
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........."