Author Topic: Berettas  (Read 1922 times)

scap99

Berettas
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:37:19 PM »
You Beretta guys...how intuitive is that slide mounted safety?

I've not shot one, but from a 1911 standpoint it seems really odd to have it slide mounted and flip in the opposite direction to make it safe.

I've always kind of liked how the Berettas look, but the safety seems weird to me.  Talk me through this, and I might drink the Kool-Aid.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Berettas
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
I personally don't have a problem. I like that it is a gun I can "pull and go." Nothing to deactivate. Yet, that 1st shot is a bit heavier, unlike a Glock or XD. It's heavy enough to keep me from doing stupid if I was ever startled. However, with a "D" spring in it, the SA pull is down to 4 lbs, and the DA pull is 8 lbs. I have practiced a lot with the DA pull at the range, and I do well with it at 7 yards.

I only use the safety as a decocker - since that 1st shot is DA. I see no point in keeping the safey turned on with a DA/SA gun.

When I practice my DA shots for an entire mag - I shoot, decock with 1 hand, then switch my grip back and shoot again.

People gripe about the lack of a frame safety - but I've never had a problem. Unless you wanted to carry the gun cocked and locked, what does it matter...

Here, go get you 1... or 6 :) :)

Offline CougarTex

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Beretta Twins Club
    • View Profile
Berettas
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
It has never bothered me, but that is what I am use to. Most of the F models (safety/decocker) can be converted to G models (decocker only).
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :icon_wink:

"You need to have one of everything.
That's the only way you'll know what you need two of."

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Berettas
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »
Quote from: CougarTex;1922
It has never bothered me, but that is what I am use to. Most of the F models (safety/decocker) can be converted to G models (decocker only).

Not in the 92 series. WAL is trying to come up with a way. You can convert the PX4s to a G, but the 92s require a separate slide.

Offline CougarTex

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Beretta Twins Club
    • View Profile
Berettas
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:34:36 PM »
Quote from: Shipwreck;1923
Not in the 92 series. WAL is trying to come up with a way. You can convert the PX4s to a G, but the 92s require a separate slide.

You're right, PX4 and Cougars can be converted.
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :icon_wink:

"You need to have one of everything.
That's the only way you'll know what you need two of."

scap99

Berettas
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:11:26 PM »
Interesting.
Could you carry cocked and locked, if you were so inclined?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Berettas
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »
Quote from: scap99;1929
Interesting.
Could you carry cocked and locked, if you were so inclined?

No, I was pointing out that the lack of a frame safety wouldn't matter UNLESS you were a cocked and locked type of guy (like a 1911). It CANNOT be carried cocked and locked. Sorry.

scap99

Berettas
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »
Ah ok.  Prior to owning my own 1911, I never trusted a cocked and locked condition.  Now that I have one and I see the mechanics to get it to fire, cocked and locked does not bother me one bit.  

I just read the wiki page on the Beretta 92.  I'm liking these the more I learn about them.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Berettas
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:13 PM »
Quote from: scap99;1942
Ah ok.  Prior to owning my own 1911, I never trusted a cocked and locked condition.  Now that I have one and I see the mechanics to get it to fire, cocked and locked does not bother me one bit.  

I just read the wiki page on the Beretta 92.  I'm liking these the more I learn about them.

Well, I once carried an Hk USP compact 9 and 45 for carry guns. I never carried cocked and locked with them. I always preferred Da/SA. Typically, I only do cocked and locked with a 1911.