Author Topic: 1988 Bass Buggy  (Read 1377 times)

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
1988 Bass Buggy
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:08:20 PM »
When I was young my Grandfather had a 1988 Bass Buggy pontoon boat.  We spent alot of time out on the lake on this boat and I have alot of fond memories with it.

My grandfather passed away several years ago and the boat has been sitting in his barn collecting dust.  My dad took it to his house to try to fix it(the engine would not start and the trailer was in poor condition.) however he cannot afford to fix it atm.

He said it would cost around $2000 to rebuild the motor and fix/buy a new trailer.  Before I get any "you should just buy a new boat" comments please understand that this boat holds alot of sentimental value to my entire family.

My question to you guys with alot of boating experience is, would I be better of buying a new motor, or having the old one rebuilt.  It is a Mercury 60hp Outboard.

How much would a new motor cost me and how much would it cost to have the old one rebuilt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anybody here has any experience repairing boats and would like to give me some advice please let me know.

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
Re: 1988 Bass Buggy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »
Would love to help but am clueless with boats.
I can certainly understand your desire to restore the boat and relive the memories and wish you luck with it.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:40:58 PM »
My dad informed the that it was the Powerhead that was out of service.  I've seen several powerheads on ebay and other sites for much lower than what my dad said it would cost to rebuild the current one.

Does anybody know how difficult it would be to remove the old powerhead and install a newer one?

I know nothing about boats.

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Jbird

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:35:29 AM »
I'm by no means an expert but if you step up your scrounging abilitys you can get her going for a lot cheaper I see trailers for 300 all day on craigslist. As far as the motor goes I doubt the power head is toast I have to good boat motor guys I can refer you to if you want shoot me a  pm

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 05:23:06 AM »
Like 40K says, this boat has sentimental value. My dad (40K's grandfather) would tell you that there have been more fish thrown back into the water from this boat than most people even dream about catching in theirs. I can't even begin to tell you how many ice chest full of fish have been caught in that boat.
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.