Author Topic: I shot IDPA for the first time at Shiloh  (Read 7364 times)

Offline Eyeplink45

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
I shot IDPA for the first time at Shiloh
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:42:09 AM »
And I'm hooked!!! I really learned a lot and had a great time. I'm definitely joining IDPA.  :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
Re: I shot IDPA for the first time at Shiloh
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 08:38:14 AM »
Awesome, I hope to be in your shoes in the not too distant future.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline Adam

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Shiloh Tactical Shooters IDPA
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:24:56 AM »
And I'm hooked!!! I really learned a lot and had a great time. I'm definitely joining IDPA.  :th_thicon_idea:

I think we had 3 or 4 new shooters, can't figure which one you were from your username.   :wave1:

Glad you enjoyed it, it was a busy and hectic night.

Offline Adam

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »
I just added the videos to the website BTW.
http://www.shilohidpa.com/ViewGallery.aspx?id=48

Do me a favor, I couldn't remember everybody's name so if your videos don't have your name under them (in the "users tagged in this video" section) PM me.

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:03:06 PM »
I've never done any IDPA or anything.  Is there a class that teaches you the rules and the basics?

Offline Adam

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:28:22 PM »
I've never done any IDPA or anything.  Is there a class that teaches you the rules and the basics?

There are classes, but I don't think they're necessary unless you're wanting to perfect the techniques that all the masters use (that tends to be what the classes are geared towards). There's a video I link to on the Shiloh IDPA website here:
http://www.shilohidpa.com/Content/NewShooters.aspx

This video covers everything that you need to know to start with. We cover this in our new shooter orientation before IDPA matches at Shiloh, and all the other local clubs do the same (as long as you identify yourself as new).

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 04:47:04 PM »
OK, I had just finished watching that video right before you linked it.  I'm thinking about attending one in a few weeks.

How many people are usually at the range during the IDPA nights?

Offline Adam

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 05:08:34 PM »
If you're talking Shiloh, it varies between 15 and 25. Last night was 27 and was our busiest night since around this time last summer.

Offline Adam

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
If you're talking Shiloh, it varies between 15 and 25. Last night was 27 and was our busiest night since around this time last summer.

...though if you're in Huntsville, there are closer ranges than Shiloh that have IDPA matches. Aside from one in Conroe (Thunder) I have no recommendations.

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »

...though if you're in Huntsville, there are closer ranges than Shiloh that have IDPA matches. Aside from one in Conroe (Thunder) I have no recommendations.

Well the Shiloh range is kinda the Unofficial HGF range :p  Though I have not been there yet, I plan on going there for the IDPA.  I hear the HGF storefront will be near the Shiloh range as well.  I plan on doing all my business with ODG19 at the HGF store to help him out, so it's not a stretch for me to go to Shiloh.  Besides I will be starting a new job in a few months in Houston and will probably be going directly to the range after work.

I have a membership at an outdoor range that is only about 20 mins from my house, but they don't do IDPA.  I also hate going to Conroe for anything so I will be avoiding anything that requires me to exit I45 there like the plague.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Janitor
  • Administrator
  • Ammunition Expert
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »
Ill be there in two weeks. I need a magholder
I need a gunbelt too.

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 07:20:19 PM »
I made myself a mag holder, but I have to rework the design.  IDPA requires it to hold the magazine in when it is turned upside down and it doesn't.  gotta work on some form of retention that's not too tight.

Offline texshooter

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Loves the Feel of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 07:41:39 PM »
I want to start shooting IDPA too. I'm hoping to use the gun thats at the custom shop right now so when it gets back ill start. But maybe ill come out and watch next time! where can i find the schedule?
A 1911 Fanatic

Offline Eyeplink45

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 08:10:40 PM »
Adam, I was the big black guy.

Offline Adam

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 12:48:35 AM »

And yours was one of the names I forgot when I was putting titles to videos. I think we got two videos of you :)

Offline Adam

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 12:57:21 AM »
Ill be there in two weeks. I need a magholder
I need a gunbelt too.

Mag pouches definitely help. You can run stages with mags in your pockets, but you'll lose a lot of time doing it. Though on anyone's first few nights, they shouldn't be too worried about score anyway.

I made myself a mag holder, but I have to rework the design.  IDPA requires it to hold the magazine in when it is turned upside down and it doesn't.  gotta work on some form of retention that's not too tight.

We always say "shoot what you've got". For our club, we're not too strict, especially on the new guys. If you plan on shooting sanctioned matches you definitely want to eventually get proper equipment, but until then if you already have something, use it.

I want to start shooting IDPA too. I'm hoping to use the gun thats at the custom shop right now so when it gets back ill start. But maybe ill come out and watch next time! where can i find the schedule?

At Shiloh it's every Thursday at 6:30pm. New shooters should arrive by 6:00pm to go through a safety briefing. We shoot until almost 9 (we try to be cleaned up and done by 9).
http://www.shilohidpa.com/Content/MatchInfo.aspx

The only difference next week, is on months with 5 Thursdays, we do something different on the 5th Thursday. Our current "special" match right now is a back-up gun (BUG) match. Small semi-autos (3.8" or smaller barrel) and small revolvers (3" barrels). More info here:
http://www.shilohidpa.com/Content/ClubNews.aspx

The courses are 5 shots each, and we tend to get through 5 stages on a BUG night (especially in the summer when we're more crowded, winter might be 6 or 7). So it's not a lot of shooting, but if you don't get to use your tiny gun much, this is a good time to do it. Plus, this is a great way to get into IDPA as there are no reloads on the clock, limited stages, etc.

Offline SC-Texas

• Supporting Member
  • 3 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • http://Www.TexasGunTrust.com
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 01:06:35 AM »
Idea is fun and Shiloh is a great place.

Offline Pistolero

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
    • Pistolero Handgun Training
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »

Oh, no! A big black guy with a gun! :afraid4:      :P
God and the soldier we adore
  In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
  God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.
www.pistolerohandguntraining.com

Offline Pistolero

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
    • Pistolero Handgun Training
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
I wonder what other ranges have IDPA? I live far from Shiloh in the SW, and I think I'd rather go to a range where there isn't so much waiting. With 25 shooters, it seems like there would be a lot of waiting and very little shooting. But then what do I know, I haven't done this before.
God and the soldier we adore
  In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
  God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.
www.pistolerohandguntraining.com

Offline Adam

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
I wonder what other ranges have IDPA? I live far from Shiloh in the SW, and I think I'd rather go to a range where there isn't so much waiting. With 25 shooters, it seems like there would be a lot of waiting and very little shooting. But then what do I know, I haven't done this before.

All indoor IDPA I've been to tends to be like that. The best you can get is an outdoor IDPA event with multiple bays and squads. Then there's only 10ish people per squad (though that never seems to allow me to shoot /sooner/ as the stages are always bigger). If you're SW, perhaps WHIDPA (www.whidpa.com) at The Impact Zone would be a better choice for you? I believe they are Wednesday nights and 1st Saturday.