Author Topic: How to make your own target for @ $20  (Read 1151 times)

Offline peroth

• Military
  • Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
How to make your own target for @ $20
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
I dont know if theres a lot of open land in the Houston area or nearby where you can do some SAFE non range shooting, but out here in Vegas theres so much open desert land that its easy to find a open spot and do some target shooting. A fellow forun friend had this awesome idea.

" I know that times are tight and people would rather spend money on a lot of other things than a target stand. But a good target is worth its cost to build in the ability to train better and make yourself a more confident shooter. Plus, for less than $20 and a little time behind a saw, you have no excuse to why you can't or don't have a quality target stand.

I have recently seen metal target stands selling for between $40-$80 at various local shops. So I thought that just for fun I would see how cheap I could build a quality target stand. I knew that my number one priority was I wanted it to be CHEAP. I also wanted it to be light weight, sturdy, easily portable, and easy to build. (sounds to good to be true... but it's not)

Here is a list of supplies, prices are rounded out.

$3 10' of 1 1/2" x 3/4" wood
$6 10' of 1 1/2" PVC pipe
$4 4x 1 1/2 PVC Tees

You can decide how wide you want it for yourself. I believe IDPA targets are 18-19" wide. I made this 22" wide so that I could use bigger targets.

Step one: Cutting out your pieces.
Cut the 10' of wood in half
Next take your PVC pipe and cut out one 20" piece, four 18" pieces, two 2" pieces, and just cut the remainder in half.
This is what you should end up with...

Step two:
You will take the 20" piece and fit a Tee one each end and then a 2" piece on the opposite side to connect to the legs. Your four 18" pipes will be used as legs to stabilize the stand. They will go into two of the Tees like you see in the picture below.
(If my instructions don't make sense to you just look at the picture, it's pretty self explanatory)

Step three: attaching (glueing) your pipes.
I already had PVC glue so I didn't count it into my cost, but it would probably only be a couple of bucks if you don't have any. I glued all the pieces together as you see them below.
DO NOT GLUE THE WHOLE THING TOGETHER, ONLY THE PARTS SHOWN. Keep the legs separate for a few reasons which I will get to.
I wanted it to be easily portable so by not glueing the whole thing together, I can just take off the legs throw it in my car and then attach them again once I get out to the range.

Step four: put it together.
Connect everything and slide the pieces of wood into the two standing PVC pipes.

Step 5: Drilling a few holes.
I wanted the stand to be sturdy in the wind and since it's not glued I needed a way to keep it from sliding around. I drilled holes through the Tee and connecting pipe. Then you can just drop a nail or screw through the holes to lock both pipes in place. If you want to be done at this point, you have just made a very durable, light weight, target stand for around $15.

However... if you have a few extra minutes and you want to really make this stand bitchin, then (with the stand laying flat on the ground as it will be) take the standing legs and rotate and drill them at 20 and 45 degree angles... This will allow you to place the target on a hill or uneven terrain without affecting the actual target angle. You can also set the target on flat ground, pin it in the 45 degree position and use it as someone kneeling or crouching down.
(Here you see it pinned in the 20 degree angle)

Lastly, I put caps on the front of the legs so that I could slide 1" rebar in the back of the legs to help weigh it down for a windy day. I also spray painted it OD green with Krylon camo and decided to clamp the target onto the wood instead of stapling it. This way I can adjust the height of the target and it's much easier to pack into a vehicle. But you can obviously do whatever you want.
This is what it ended up like.

I hope that this is useful and helps save some people a couple extra bucks. A good target it a great thing to have. Also make sure that the wood fits into the PVC pipe properly before you leave the store... "

Offline Pistolero

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
    • Pistolero Handgun Training
Re: How to make your own target for @ $20
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 04:20:45 PM »
Very cool!
God and the soldier we adore
  In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
  God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.
www.pistolerohandguntraining.com

BG1960

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
sweet

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »
Thanks for the wonderful how to.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline SpecOpsDocRet

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:00:21 PM »
I made 6 of the same type of stand.  I got the plans at a gun show a couple of years ago.  The only thing I added was I filled the base with lead shot for weight.  Works quite well if you shoot were it's windy.
" You can die like a Tiger or live like a pussy "