Author Topic: Internet Sales Tax Vetoed  (Read 2484 times)

Offline CougarTex

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Beretta Twins Club
    • View Profile
Internet Sales Tax Vetoed
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:16:23 PM »
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :icon_wink:

"You need to have one of everything.
That's the only way you'll know what you need two of."

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Internet Sales Tax Vetoed
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:24:45 PM »
I saw that yesterday.

A coworker took the other side about how it would be good for the budget. But, I'm sorry. I don't wanna pay sales tax on internet orders  :th_thicon_idea:

Offline CougarTex

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Beretta Twins Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:39:46 PM »
Texas Occasional Use Tax -

"All Texans are responsible for paying occasional use tax when they buy taxable goods and services for use in Texas and the seller does not charge Texas sales tax, or does not charge the correct amount of Texas sales tax. Use tax is reported and paid directly to the Texas Comptroller's office."

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/use/

I had never heard of this tax until about 2 months ago.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
Texas Occasional Use Tax -

"All Texans are responsible for paying occasional use tax when they buy taxable goods and services for use in Texas and the seller does not charge Texas sales tax, or does not charge the correct amount of Texas sales tax. Use tax is reported and paid directly to the Texas Comptroller's office."

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/use/

I had never heard of this tax until about 2 months ago.

What I meant to say is that I always send in my taxes on all internet sales...  :th_thicon_idea:

:th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • I'm the Lord of the Platypi. Seriously.
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »
I approve of this veto.
I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Offline CougarTex

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Beretta Twins Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:54:34 PM »

What I meant to say is that I always send in my taxes on all internet sales...  :th_thicon_idea:

:th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:

Of course, I'm sure we all do.

:jumping: :jumping:

Offline Castle

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »
Veto that baby!  :thumbsup1:

Offline lightskye

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Not the face!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 05:16:02 AM »
LOL @ Shipwreck

The main purpose of these internet tax laws is to keep brick-and-mortar stores competitive with online retailers.  It's already challenging for actual storefronts to maintain competitive pricing when they also have to pay rent, utilities and their customers have to pay sales tax (especially for states like ours that don't have a state income tax to allow for lower sales taxes).  Allowing online retailers to avoid a mandatory sales tax on top of all that is just another disadvantage (especially for Mom-and-Pop storefronts that don't even enjoy the option of bulk inventory purchasing).

Granted, all of this is moot if you're of the opinion that online retail shopping is the next evolution to replace brick-and-mortar businesses (aside from heavy service-related industries).  It probably is anyway but I still like to browse some items in person before buying (e.g. guns, books, electronics, etc.).

Offline Trinidad Kyle

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
Thanks Perry!!! This would have been horrible!!

To make Texas businesses more competitive with online sales, the sales tax should be minimized. Not pushed on internet companies. :facepalm: Spending should be cut to support the tax cuts.

This is exactly why I buy big ticket items online. I saved 70 bucks in tax alone on my Sig buying it online.

The thing that angers me is that most places really dont compete with or without sales tax. The same sig i got for 950 ish online i was quoted 1000 for at a gun store.

Offline Castle

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
Thanks Perry!!! This would have been horrible!!

:thumbsup1: :thumbsup1: :thumbsup1: :thumbsup1:

Offline 96fordsix

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
LOL @ Shipwreck

The main purpose of these internet tax laws is to keep brick-and-mortar stores competitive with online retailers.  It's already challenging for actual storefronts to maintain competitive pricing when they also have to pay rent, utilities and their customers have to pay sales tax (especially for states like ours that don't have a state income tax to allow for lower sales taxes).  Allowing online retailers to avoid a mandatory sales tax on top of all that is just another disadvantage (especially for Mom-and-Pop storefronts that don't even enjoy the option of bulk inventory purchasing).

Granted, all of this is moot if you're of the opinion that online retail shopping is the next evolution to replace brick-and-mortar businesses (aside from heavy service-related industries).  It probably is anyway but I still like to browse some items in person before buying (e.g. guns, books, electronics, etc.).

I have mixed fealings on this subject I work retail and understand the overhead part of the business. But I have had customers order stuff online and wait the resulting shipping time just to save 8.25% tax and have had the part in stock and in front of them. Sometimes I have offered 10% off to save the sales and then a few look insulted. What to do?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison