Author Topic: Help me pick my next handgun purchase.  (Read 2765 times)

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
Help me pick my next handgun purchase.
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »
I've been very interested in purchasing a Springfield XDM in .40S&W for my next handgun and would like some input.  When ODXD9 was on the radio today him and the guys with Guns Over Texas were dogging the XD pretty bad and promoting the Glock.  I'd like to know which you would pick and why. 

When I was first getting ready to take my CHL class a good friend and mentor of mine told me to make sure I bought a gun I enjoyed shooting or I would not practice enough with it.  If I didn't practice with it I might as well leave it at home. 

I had looked at both firearms, but I did not like the way the Glock felt.  When I held the XDM It felt like God had placed it into my hand personally and I believe if I had the $633.01 plus taxes on me at that time I would have bought it right then.(probably a good thing I didn't as my ole lady would have been furious...I don't think even God could put out that fire.)

So give me your input.  What are the pros and cons of each gun and which would you choose?

Offline gunlaw

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Help me pick my next handgun purchase.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:31:14 PM »
i've had a Glock 23 before and loved it in .40, it was snappy but predictable. there are also a bunch of great upgraded triggers you can buy for cheap that make it shoot a lot better. i've shot several XDs and never liked them as much as a Glock...it's definitely a preference deal, i just think they feel weird in my hand, but a Glock seems to sit much more naturally.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »
I have owned an Xd45 once, and several 9mm Glocks over the years.

When I was at the last gun show, I really liked the look and feel of the XDm guns. Especially with the stainless slides.

I'm just not much of a polymer gun guy (I used to ONLY own a bunch of polymer guns - tastes change sometimes) because of the lack of rubber grip options with the polymer frame

However, IF I was really into polymer guns again, and didn't have a preference for DA/SA guns, I'd probably get an XDm. I seem to check them out everytime I look at new guns.

You might also want to check out the Beretta PX4 storm It' really a sweet polymer gun. I have shot a lot of 40s. And the ONLY 40 I have ever liked enough to own was the PX4 Storm in 40 cal. I've never owned a 40 cal before that gun, and never owned one since. I now have a PX4 in 9mm, but that 40 cal one was nice... softest recoiling 40 I've ever shot. I only sold it back in 2008 because I was selling 4 guns so I could afford the down payment on a custom 1911.

wasar69

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »
they only like glock. If you dont have a glock to them you dont have a real gun . I like the glocks, but like you did not feel right in my hand. The XD was a perfect fit so that was my choice . Some people just love one brand of gun and all else are junk . Both are great guns go with what feels best for you .

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I used to feel the same way you do Ship.  When all I owned was a Rossi Model 68 .38 special revolver.  I used to shoot my buddy's guns all the time and could not stand the polymer guns.  But after actually branching off and trying out different polymers besides his 2 Glocks that I couldn't stand, I've actually come to the point where I don't really have a preference.  It all depends on what feels best in my hand.

Offline texshooter

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Loves the Feel of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
love my xdm in 40. Great gun, fun to shoot, points naturally, etc.
A 1911 Fanatic

Offline SGT B

• Military
  • 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 02:58:18 AM »
Shoot them both, but sounds like the XDM is the better choice for you.

I personally love my XD40, wouldn't trade it for anything. Don't have anything against Glocks, just don't fit my hands well.

Offline Xlawman

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 03:26:25 AM »
I know very little about the XD40.
I do know that in 15 years carrying a Glock, I never had a  failure to fire. No stove pipes, no double feeds, no problems at all.

Offline fixer

• Can Line Up The Sights
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 10:00:58 AM »
I like my G22 alot. The recoil impulse is significant but I haven't noticed any accuracy degredation. I shoot it as well as my G17.

I've fired an XD a number of times and thought the opposite...the Glock felt way better in my hands.

There is nothing wrong at all with the XD guns. They are very reliable and well worth the money. About the only advantage glock has is the availability of parts. The two guns are really, really similar.

I'll second shipwrecks recommendation. The PX4 really tames recoil impulse.

Beretta: M9, PX4 FDE, 92 FS, PX4 black, PX4 INOX 40
Glock: 17,19 gen 3 and gen 4, 26, 22, gen 3 23
1911: Dan Wesson
S&W M&P 9
Mossberg m590a1, Remington 870 HD, Benelli Nova
Marlin 336
Hk P30 LEM

Offline lightskye

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Not the face!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 10:27:08 AM »
Yeah, I would say the Beretta PX4 handles recoil better than all other pistols I've fired (Glock, P30, USP, 92FS, Sig) because of its rotating barrel design (better than any tilt-barrel design on the market, IMO).  I really love the feel of the P30 grip best and most people who pick one up say the gun feels like it fits their hands perfectly (better than an XD even).  However, despite this, the PX4 is still my go-to handgun because it just shoots so damn nicely (especially rapid-fire and multiple targets).  I prefer the PX4 Compact over the PX4 Full-size because the Full-size's DA pull is slightly too long to the point that it feels like your trigger finger wants to readjust midstroke (almost to the point of dropping the hammer).  The Compact doesn't have this problem and it's perfect for conceal carry (just be forewarned that no tritium night sights currently exist for the Compact model).

However, both of these are DA/SA guns and it sounds like you're looking for a striker-fired handgun.  You could go with an HK P30 w/LEM trigger and you'd be getting the best-feeling handgun (with 3 interchangeable backstraps AND 3 sidestraps) but I'm not sure how it would actually compare recoil-wise to an XDM (handled one but never shot it myself).  HK handguns are a bit expensive, too (but if you decide to go this route, I would strongly recommend a P30 over a longer, heavier slide P30L).

Your best bet is to go rent several handguns at the range (PX4 and P30 are common enough at most ranges to rent, too).  Personally, when I do this, I run 6-round Bill Drills and fast-pace multiple target shooting at 5 yards in addition to the standard, slow plink at distance (15 yards) because I want to know how my handgun will feel under these conditions.

Good luck!

Offline gunlaw

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »
i've heard from several of my friends that the PX4 shoots well, but i've never had the opportunity to shoot one so i dont know for sure. what i DO know is that i've never been able to get over how hideous they are, especially that new subcompact one...it looks like a water gun from Toys R Us or something. i know that looks dont matter for any practical reasons, but i dont to spend $500+ on something that's going to make me gag whenever i see it.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »
i've heard from several of my friends that the PX4 shoots well, but i've never had the opportunity to shoot one so i dont know for sure. what i DO know is that i've never been able to get over how hideous they are, especially that new subcompact one...it looks like a water gun from Toys R Us or something. i know that looks dont matter for any practical reasons, but i dont to spend $500+ on something that's going to make me gag whenever i see it.

I'm no longer a fan of subcompacts in general - and admit that the PX4 subcompact looks strange. But, the fullsize looks cool, IMHO.

IF I ever wanted another subcompact, I would get an HK P2000sk. However, I like carrying fullsize guns now, and I do not plan to go back to guns that small again. When I had them, I never cared to shoot them at the range - I'd shoot them maybe 1x a year, and that was the gun I carried daily.

Now, I like carrying larger guns that I shoot at the range all the time

Offline elde

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
  • Displaced Houstonian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »
I sold my G23 once I was able to try an XDm 3.8 .40 cal. The grip just fit my hand better and I like the ability to put 16 rounds in the mag as well as the somewhat shorter barrel length. This gun sits on the nightstand each and every night and has performed flawlessly at the range through about 800 rounds to date.     

Offline lightskye

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Not the face!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »

Well, just so we're all clear here, there are 3 size-variants of the PX4---the Full-size, Compact and the Subcompact.  Granted, the Subcompact is retarded and I would never advocate buying one (the barrel is too short to even accommodate the rotating-barrel design...it's a tilt-barrel system like any other).  About the only reason why I would even imagine anyone picking up a PX4 Subcompact is to keep training to a minimum (sticking with the PX4 system altogether) but even that is iffy since it's significantly smaller anyway and would require about as much training/familiarity time as an entirely different manufacturer's subcompact.

As for the look of the Full-size and the Compact, it did bother me at first but once you feel these babies shoot, you get over that real quick.  I love my HK P30 for the looks and the grip but the PX4 is just so accurate, soft and reliable to shoot that 9 times out of 10, I would rather shoot my PX4s now.

Offline RCC

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 02:20:07 PM »
I would pick the one that feels the best in your hand because in the end you have to be happy with it. I never have and never will own a Glock. They feel foreign to me but that's my opinion. The XD series feel a lot more comfortable to me and I have owned a few over over the years, I have 2 XD 45's now.

I wouldn't worry about the Glock guys dogging on XD's, the Glock's were the first main stream polymer pistols so therefore all others built afterwards are inferior.
Currently living a life less luxurious- Thanks Mr. President.

wasar69

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »
aint that the truth :th_thicon_lol:

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »
I would pick the one that feels the best in your hand because in the end you have to be happy with it. I never have and never will own a Glock. They feel foreign to me but that's my opinion. The XD series feel a lot more comfortable to me and I have owned a few over over the years, I have 2 XD 45's now.

I wouldn't worry about the Glock guys dogging on XD's, the Glock's were the first main stream polymer pistols so therefore all others built afterwards are inferior.
That's kinda the vibe I got.  I haven't been able to find anybody that could actually give me a reason that the Glock was better than the XD.

Offline Castle

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
So, what is it going to be?

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »
I've pretty much made up my mind on the XDM, but I won't be purchasing it until end of this month or beginning of next month.  I doubt I'll change my mind though.