Author Topic: WAITING PERIOD FOR LTC?  (Read 970 times)

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
WAITING PERIOD FOR LTC?
« on: September 30, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »
Was just wondering if anyone else out there is waiting to get their LTC as long as me. I filed all my paperwork on 8/10 and received confirmation on 8/13 everything was received and the 60 day clock had commenced.  However, since that time my checklist is all green except for fingerprints and background check.  Most folks appear to be getting their LTC's withing 3-4 weeks and I'm going on 6 weeks.  Can't imagine what would be the hold-up other than having lived in several states over the years and perhaps Texas DPS is waiting on them for fingerprint verification. I also read somewhere that it's 60 "work days" and not "calendar days" - if that's the case I could be waiting until mid-October which really bites.   
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Thomas Jefferson Papers p. 334, 1950)

Online TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: WAITING PERIOD FOR LTC?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 02:44:29 PM »
Expect it 3 days before the limit. All the Antifa’ss are ahead of you.
PS:  The metric is “on time”.  Not early. 

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 02:55:52 PM »
Be glad you don't have to wait as longa s I did. When I got my 1st permit in 1996 - I moved to Texas in Feb 1996. I had to be a Texas resident for 6 months before I could turn everything in. So, I had to wait until July 96... Then, it was a 6 month wait to get the license after the stuff was sent in!

That was the 1st year they were issuing them

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 11:31:52 PM »
Be glad you don't have to wait as longa s I did. When I got my 1st permit in 1996 - I moved to Texas in Feb 1996. I had to be a Texas resident for 6 months before I could turn everything in. So, I had to wait until July 96... Then, it was a 6 month wait to get the license after the stuff was sent in!

In that case, id open carry.

I have had my PA conceal carry permit since 1987, and carry ANYTIME I leave my property.
I'm a very firm believer in conceal carry.

But no way id go 6 months without my sidearm.

I would definitely be open carrying.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 01:13:56 AM »

I remember that. You had to go to the Photo Mat for your passport type photo and place it just so on the card provided or it would be rejected. Qualify with a revolver and you could only carry a revolver. Qualify with an auto loader and you could carry either a wheel gun or an auto. Issued for two years or four years you didn’t know until you received it. And who could forget the archaic “printing” law. Good times.
A small admission. I’ve had an Arizona non resident carry permit for five years now and just renewed it last March. Only needed to send in a firearm qualification certificate, I used my Military DD 214 from 1973, fingerprints and $60. Renewal was $43. No class no range time and accepted in 40 states. I don’t travel that much anymore so that’s no big deal for me. Probably saved $200 going this route. Still have to go through the FFL records check when buying a firearm at my LGS but that usually doesn’t take more than 5 minutes if that long.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
WAITING PERIOD FOR LTC?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 05:47:30 AM »

I have had my PA conceal carry permit since 1987, and carry ANYTIME I leave my property.

OC still requires the LTC in TX.

As above when I got my CHL
The wheel/auto thing and printing
were kinda silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 09:06:51 AM »

Back then (1996), you could not open carry. And, it requires a permit to do so now.

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 09:53:13 AM »
Expect it 3 days before the limit. All the Antifa’ss are ahead of you.
PS:  The metric is “on time”.  Not early.

If that's the case I should hear something by next week as 10/13 will be 60 calendar days.  My biggest fear is not having the ability to protect myself and family post 11/3 if things get crazy, which I'm beginning to think is almost for certain. 
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Thomas Jefferson Papers p. 334, 1950)

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 08:53:34 AM »
Finally got an update on the DPS site and fingerprint review is now green, but still waiting for background check to be completed.  In 6 days it will be 60 days total wait time. 

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 10:03:24 AM »
Finally got an update on the DPS site and fingerprint review is now green, but still waiting for background check to be completed.  In 6 days it will be 60 days total wait time.

With all the covid mess, it might take a little longer... Possibly...

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 10:44:40 AM »
By LAW must issue it then.
Dont know that “covid” dempanic will give um an out/extension.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 10:52:21 AM »

I have seen them go past that many times before. By law, there was a 6 month time limit in 1996... Mine passed that by a week or 2...

And, over the years, I have seen some people post that theirs went over the time limit.

And now... with social distancing, and maybe people in that office being sick... Maybe delays in getting info back on background checks.... I would not be surprised if it is delayed. Ya still gotta live with that....

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 10:56:20 AM »

Agree...but you would think they would state something like that on the website if covid an issue.  Also, I forgot to mention that I contacted them yesterday confirming the 60 days and they replied by giving me a link to the LTC statutes.  Then this morning I check and finally some movement.  I just want this completed before 11/3 in case CW II breaks out. 

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 02:30:19 PM »
Governor Abbott’s State of Emergency Declaration suspends all expiration dates for driver licenses, car registrations and any and all time limits for issuance or renewal of permits or licenses as mandated by Texas Statute.

They will process the paperwork but they will not be held to the time limit while the declaration is in place. The emergency declaration was renewed in September.

Your dealing with a faceless govt. entity that doesn’t give a rats ass about your personal needs or wants my friend. One of the things I loath in life is waiting on something. I guess you can take some comfort in knowing you license is being processed. Doesn’t stop the aggravation though.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 03:33:34 PM »
Governor Abbott’s State of Emergency Declaration suspends all expiration dates for driver licenses, car registrations and any and all time limits for issuance or renewal of permits or licenses as mandated by Texas Statute.

They will process the paperwork but they will not be held to the time limit while the declaration is in place. The emergency declaration was renewed in September.

Your dealing with a faceless govt. entity that doesn’t give a rats ass about your personal needs or wants my friend. One of the things I loath in life is waiting on something. I guess you can take some comfort in knowing you license is being processed. Doesn’t stop the aggravation though.
You can legally still carry your weapon in your vehicle just not on you.
At least you have something.

Also no ltc required to sling an AR across your back if you feel so inclined.

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 08:54:26 AM »
Well, good news! Checked this morning and it now says "Background Check Completed" and the only thing left on the checklist is "License to Carry a Handgun - Print Pending". 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:56:19 AM by Billy Gruber »

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 09:30:33 AM »
Congrats... Hope ya get it soon

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 02:27:26 PM »
Wow...finally received the coveted all green check marks last Friday (10/16) which states LTC is in the mail.  Ended up taking 63 days total.  It was well worth the wait though, and I'm so glad to have finally jumped through all the hoops to get one. 

The guy who trained me at the gun range said that having a LTC comes in handy if ever pulled over because cops know you're less likely to be a person of bad repute.  Would be curious if anyone has any personal encounters to verify this?

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2020, 04:25:23 PM »
Wow...finally received the coveted all green check marks last Friday (10/16) which states LTC is in the mail.  Ended up taking 63 days total.  It was well worth the wait though, and I'm so glad to have finally jumped through all the hoops to get one. 

The guy who trained me at the gun range said that having a LTC comes in handy if ever pulled over because cops know you're less likely to be a person of bad repute.  Would be curious if anyone has any personal encounters to verify this?
Been pulled over with my weapon
I ALWAYS hand officer both DL and LTC and inform him weapon is on me and where.

Other than usually something like OK dont reach for yours and I wont teach for mine type of reply no effect.

However I tend to be respectful to LE and I believe THAT effects the situation more.

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 11:06:23 AM »
Been pulled over with my weapon
I ALWAYS hand officer both DL and LTC and inform him weapon is on me and where.

Other than usually something like OK dont reach for yours and I wont teach for mine type of reply no effect.

However I tend to be respectful to LE and I believe THAT effects the situation more.

Yes, I agree.  You have to put yourself in their shoes and realize that they have an extremely dangerous job.

Thanks for the reply.