Author Topic: Whatís the lowest cost you could build with new parts?  (Read 300 times)

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Whatís the lowest cost you could build with new parts?
« on: September 11, 2020, 09:03:48 PM »
Just curious as I see more ďAR kits starting at $69...Ē.
Clearly there are a few more parts required.

Offline Ranger99

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Whatís the lowest cost you could build with new parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 09:38:06 PM »
A friend plays with those adult
legos, and the last time I spoke
with him he was having trouble
getting the stuff he wanted. The
way I understand it,  the better
pieces are in short supply while
the lesser quality pieces are what
the vendors have still.
He was telling me something about
plastic receivers. I didn't even realize
they offered a plastic ar rifle receiver.
I don't know for a fact, but I'd imagine
an inexpensive kit would probably have
less than premium parts
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 06:45:11 AM »
It takes tools and knowledge to build an AR. I'd get familiar with one first before you try to build one. If you already know that, then I see how some people like to build them.

Jeb has not been around a while, but he builds a lot of them. Send him a PM if you have questions.

Plus, if it does not work - then what... You have to trouble shoot it... I'd rather buy one, personally....
Most of the parts kits in that price range usually just have small parts. You typically have t buy the receiver, and stock. Then, you have to either build or buy the upper.

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 09:15:50 AM »
While it does take a few specialty tools,a freaking monkey could slap together an AR. Right now,the problem is finding all the parts needed,and they won't be cheap.
A year or two ago,you could build one for about $300. My problem is I'm a precision nut,so I spend $500-$600 on a premium barrel and a nice trigger. That makes my builds run around $1k+.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 09:46:04 AM »
i have seen many people who have built one have problems.

I would rather buy what I want, and if there is a problem, the manufacturer can fix it. Just my view...

Offline Helo

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 10:18:43 AM »
Buying is far less headache

Offline TXAZ

• أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 12:18:43 PM »
Iím not building one. Iím looking for info. A neighbor said he could build one (all new parts)  under $300 which I donít believe.
PSA has new ones for sale last year for under $500 so Iím guessing thatís a pretty good benchmark.
But you guys know better. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:42:29 PM by TXAZ »

Offline Silverado

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »
  I also would rather buy. I have seen a lot of guys build them and they try to go cheap on parts, then you end up with a frankenbuild, a rifle that wonít cycle properly.  :bangheadonwall:

Offline TXAZ

• أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 06:41:40 PM »
Gentlemen
The question is not that you would choose to buy an AR.

The question is if you do build ARís, how cheaply could you build one?

Offline 96fordsix

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »
The problem you run into, if you have a want for nicer stuff all of a sudden you have a 175 dollar trigger and a 300 dollar barrel.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 10:43:03 PM »
Deputy I worked with at the SO would do builds for $150 if you supplied the parts but that was three years ago prior to this insanity in the firearm market. Most ended up being around $500 and that was with decent quality parts. Look at Palmetto State Armory they do quality builds, in my opinion, for $5-600 or more. I would wager a guess that they get a wholesale break in the price per part.

Just my opinion I wouldnít expect much quality from a $300 build. If heís not charging for labor maybe, just maybe it might be worth it but it doesnít hurt to ask what brand name parts heís using for the main components like the barrel, upper and trigger.

I have a Aero Precision M4. Admired it at my LGS for a couple months but at $625 it was just a little more than I wanted to part with. Was under the Christmas tree that year. First time in a long time I was actually surprised on Christmas morning.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 12:48:48 AM »
Iím not building one. Iím looking for info. A neighbor said he could build one (all new parts)  under $300 which I donít believe.
PSA has new ones for sale last year for under $500 so Iím guessing thatís a pretty good benchmark.
But you guys know better.

2 or 3 years ago,a $300 build was possible using junk parts. I don't think that you can't get a stripped upper and lower receiver for $300 today,if you can even find them.

Offline Silverado

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 07:51:45 AM »
  I agree the original question was how cheap one could be built. Some of us are just giving our opinion on why we wouldnít advise going the cheapest route. I could buy a car for a couple hundred bucks but if it doesnít run, is it a car or a paper weight. Just my opinion

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 09:18:43 AM »
The only low-cost option I'm aware of that would even help you even approach the $300 mark are 'scratch-n-dent' kits from Palmetto State Armory.

Unfortunately, as the other members have indicated, these kits probably sell within seconds of being listed as available for sale.

Polymer receivers are indeed a cheap alternative to a forged or milled lower made from aluminum. Less of the firing strain transmits to it relative to the upper; however, there is some question of how good their long-term durability is. Obviously, they won't withstand heat well, but since you won't be using it to hunt flamethrower infantry squads, you should be alright.

Again though, as the others have said, scarcity at this point means it's going to be hard to find any lower receivers for sale at all, and next to impossible to find any whose price tag has been inflated considerably relative to how much they were going for a year or two ago.

Shotgun News once did an article series on it, 2-3 years ago. I believe their final score was a functional AR-15 for $378*. However, the disclaimer there was that they used some parts they already had laying around (Armorer's wrench, buffer tube assembly, grip).

If you choose to go off a strict dollar amount, I think $450 would be more reasonable, and that's if you're willing to wait the weeks it'll take to source everything at as affordably as possible. If you play fast and loose with the hard currency amount like Shotgun News did, then hell, you could probably build one for 'free' if you recycle old parts you got off buddies for free over the years and such.

Online Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 11:32:05 AM »
My nephew just bought 6 80% lowers for 39.95 ea. Had to ship one ea to himself and five others.

Never built one but seems to me with the parts $$ you are close to 1kish which (before this bs) would buy a decent entry AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk