Author Topic: Saw this on another forum  (Read 147 times)

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
Saw this on another forum
« on: September 07, 2020, 12:47:11 PM »
They put it out yesterday at 3:44 pm and already has 428 views & 47 replies

Assault gun ban question

Received a email from a friend who is new to sporting rifles and he asked me if he were to buy a AR would he be able to keep it if the democrats win and are successful at getting a assault gun ban
He just doesn't want to spend a lot of money and then lose it

As far as I know if you already have it you shouldn't worry about it

Your thoughts....

Sounds like a newbie that's worried about a assault gun ban taking his new rifle away

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Re: Saw this on another forum
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 01:03:32 PM »
Ultimately the decision will still have to rest on him because no matter what, his question essentially boils down to hoping he gets an answer from somebody with superpowers and a crystal ball.

In the past, a grandfather clause was included in the Clinton AWB. Since then, the democrats have specifically said that any future AWB would both A.) Be permanent, and B.) Not have the same grandfather clause.

To ask which way the political winds blow and expect an accurate answer is totally pointless.

HOWEVER............................ In my opinion, if such a nightmarish alternate timeline would come to pass, it'd almost certainly be a repeat of the bump stock ban: "Since we know we'd get shot to pieces if we actually tried going house to house to take them, AND it would make us hugely unpopular, let's instead spin this in our favor by painting you as the crazed gun megalomaniac. We will set a date, and until this date, you have amnesty to turn in any firearms you possess that are illegal to own under the new bill.

Once midnight strikes on the final day, you are all legally considered felons. Your argument thus far is that you are all law-abiding citizens; law abiding citizens would not willfully ignore a lawful order to surrender their guns, especially since it'll be considered legal unless and until the supreme court deems it not so. Obviously, that means we'll also fight the supreme court to have the law remain enforceable until such time as somebody successfully overturns it, but in the meantime, you may not give up the guns now or ever, and we may not actually even come to you in person.

But if we ever stop you for a broken tail light, catch you jaywalking, ask you for ID if we feel like you're loitering somewhere, or even just run your plates through the computer while in traffic one day, you can bet an arrest warrant, or at least a cautionary notice, is gonna come up, and then you get to disappear into the Vietnamese jungle countryside that is our justice system. Eventually, you're going to have to leave your house to get groceries, go to work, or pay bills. You have to sleep sometime, and not EVERY policeman in the country supports your former right, now deemed privilege, to own guns. Are you really gonna take that chance every day of the rest of your life?

Even if you don't, even if you cause a scene and start a shootout, you can bet the media is going to work to portray you as a crazy anti-authoritarian redneck yokel endangering the lives of good non-gun owning citizens with his insane antics. It's a lose-lose situation all around."

The justice system is for all intents and purposes everywhere. Unless half the country literally rising up in arms, the full-scale gun confiscation most NRA brochure-thumping types fear probably won't ever really happen, and thus the matter won't be settled definitively until then.

Offline RaySendero

• Doesn't Run Downrange
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 01:13:19 PM »
They put it out yesterday at 3:44 pm and already has 428 views & 47 replies

Assault gun ban question

Received a email from a friend who is new to sporting rifles and he asked me if he were to buy a AR would he be able to keep it if the democrats win and are successful at getting a assault gun ban
He just doesn't want to spend a lot of money and then lose it

As far as I know if you already have it you shouldn't worry about it

Your thoughts....

Sounds like a newbie that's worried about a assault gun ban taking his new rifle away

Seems to me he's worrying about,
the "very best reasons" to get one.
Ray

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 02:58:09 PM »
The remote possibility of an AWB was one small factor in purchase of this rifle.
Although I dont feel that one is imminent with yahoos in DC anything can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 08:42:28 PM »
I'm old and tired. If they want to try and take mine, let them send Beto and he and I will have a meaningful discussion on the merits of that happening!

Last I checked, the 2nd Amendment was still a right.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 09:12:25 PM »
It will only drive the prices up.
We’ve been here before with quick Willie.