Author Topic: Got My First Shotgun  (Read 798 times)

Offline Babbalou1956

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
Got My First Shotgun
« on: September 04, 2020, 01:53:34 AM »
My wife actually insisted I buy one & that's a first. All those domestic terrorists claiming to be "peaceful protesters" & coming into neighborhoods now. Not ours, yet. Anyway I looked for weeks for a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security 12 gauge. Model 31023. 18.5" barrel, 5 + 1. FINALLY got to the store at the right time & right day. Came off the delivery truck & sat on the shelf about 2 seconds before I bought it. Website still said "Out of stock" all over Texas. When I was a kid I shot my dad's 410 & in the 70s I dove/quail hunted with my uncle's 12 gauge a few times. I'm more of a handgun guy but I'm excited about this Mossberg. Will start with mini shells for my wife. Got the OPSol Mini-Clip to work with the 1.75" shells. Also ordered a fiber optic sight to replace the brass bead for our old eyes. Truglo Fat Bead, red. Got some Snap Caps. Will take it to the range as soon as the shells I ordered come in. Mini shell buckshot may be a decent home defense option. 8 rounds instead of 5. 850-900 foot pounds of energy & no over-penetration or permanent deafness. 14 #4 buckshot at 1,200 feet per second. Beats my .45. The longest open area in the house is 14.3 yards so I'll set targets out to 13 yards at the range. The gun lists at 39.5" long. I measured for a carry bag & got 38.25".
Canik TP9SF One Series
Ruger LCP .22
(2) Ruger LCR 38
(2) Ruger LCRX
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
(2) Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Taurus TX22
Marlin 795 .22 rifle
Mossberg 88 Security 12 G.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Got My First Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 06:03:11 AM »
Congrats!  :thumbsup1:

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 04:25:08 PM »
Regardless of 2 or 4 legged critters, Nothing will clear up a up close & personal  bad situation faster that a 12 gauge full of buck shot.  :thumbsup1:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »
Regardless of 2 or 4 legged critters, Nothing will clear up a up close & personal  bad situation faster that a 12 gauge full of buck shot.  :thumbsup1:

Agree 100%. Resting between my bed and night stand is my trusty, ever vigilant, 12ga pump with 18 in. barrel and 800 lum light loaded with five #4 buckshot and one 1/2 ounce slug. Wife nixed the idea of keeping my SxS 12 ga by in the kitchen pantry by the back door but that’s her domain.  :icon_wink:
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Babbalou1956

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 12:39:36 PM »
I may have found the best mini shell for home defense. Eight #1 buckshot at 1,250 fps. From a new company out of Houston Texas, Mason Munitions. I ordered a box recently & will receive them soon but today they are out of stock. Like nearly all ammo makers now. They also make their own mini shell adaptor. They do have birdshot in stock, just no buckshot or slugs. I see birdshot everywhere. It's on shelves at Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Academy, etc. Gathering dust.
Canik TP9SF One Series
Ruger LCP .22
(2) Ruger LCR 38
(2) Ruger LCRX
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
(2) Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Taurus TX22
Marlin 795 .22 rifle

Offline Old Smoke

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 01:56:54 PM »
My wife actually insisted I buy one & that's a first. All those domestic terrorists claiming to be "peaceful protesters" & coming into neighborhoods now. Not ours, yet. Anyway I looked for weeks for a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security 12 gauge. Model 31023. 18.5" barrel, 5 + 1. FINALLY got to the store at the right time & right day. Came off the delivery truck & sat on the shelf about 2 seconds before I bought it. Website still said "Out of stock" all over Texas. When I was a kid I shot my dad's 410 & in the 70s I dove/quail hunted with my uncle's 12 gauge a few times. I'm more of a handgun guy but I'm excited about this Mossberg. Will start with mini shells for my wife. Got the OPSol Mini-Clip to work with the 1.75" shells. Also ordered a fiber optic sight to replace the brass bead for our old eyes. Truglo Fat Bead, red. Got some Snap Caps. Will take it to the range as soon as the shells I ordered come in. Mini shell buckshot may be a decent home defense option. 8 rounds instead of 5. 850-900 foot pounds of energy & no over-penetration or permanent deafness. 14 #4 buckshot at 1,200 feet per second. Beats my .45. The longest open area in the house is 14.3 yards so I'll set targets out to 13 yards at the range. The gun lists at 39.5" long. I measured for a carry bag & got 38.25".

congrats on the purchase
one of the RSO's at the range recommend that i go with that shotgun as well.

haven't gotten it yet though

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 03:36:19 PM »
I may have found the best mini shell for home defense. Eight #1 buckshot at 1,250 fps. From a new company out of Houston Texas, Mason Munitions. I ordered a box recently & will receive them soon but today they are out of stock. Like nearly all ammo makers now. They also make their own mini shell adaptor. They do have birdshot in stock, just no buckshot or slugs. I see birdshot everywhere. It's on shelves at Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Academy, etc. Gathering dust.

I e run mi is thru her before no adapter required. Feeds um fine I have 9 ball 3 ball and Slugs in minis for her. Also in full size versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Silverado

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 06:44:54 PM »
  Mossberg makes a great reliable shotgun ,always have. My dad bought me a mossberg 12 gauge when I was 14. It was a westernfield from montgomery wards but a mossberg for sure. It never had a hiccup. Buck shot will get the job done.  Congratulations on your new gun.

Offline Babbalou1956

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 10:37:01 PM »
The mini shells came in today from Mason Munitions. Will pattern them 10-15 yards in a few days if I get time. https://i.postimg.cc/8PpKnQQJ/fullsizeoutput-708.jpg     Not sure if my link will open.
Canik TP9SF One Series
Ruger LCP .22
(2) Ruger LCR 38
(2) Ruger LCRX
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
(2) Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Taurus TX22
Marlin 795 .22 rifle

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 12:28:49 AM »
If the mini shells work for you that’s great. This is just my opinion.I HAD a 12ga. Mossberg Shockwave and bought 5 boxes of buckshot mini shells and two boxes of slugs. I also bought the shell adapter.

At 15 and 25 feet I found the mini shells to be underwhelming. I mean they cycled as they should but their performance was, in my opinion, lacking. To wide a pattern at 15 feet, maybe four pellets on target and a foot, or more, low at 25 feet. I bought the Shockwave as a HD weapon and again, for me, that wasn’t quite cutting it.

The Shockwave has a ‘14 inch barrel I believe so you may get better results with a 18 to 20 inch barrel. I replaced the Shockwave with a H&R pump with 18 inch barrel loaded with #4 buckshot.

Of course your mileage may vary. Just my opinion but I found the mini shells to be more of a novelty than anything else.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Babbalou1956

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 09:15:44 AM »
Mini shells do seem to pattern wider than 2 3/4" shells from what I've heard. I measured across the longest open area in the house & my longest shot would be 13 yards. When I get to the range I'm going to pattern various buckshot loads & anything wider than 12" at 13 yards I won't use for self-defense. I ordered some low-recoil 00 buckshot loads I'm hoping my wife can shoot after some practice with the mini shells. 8 or 9 pellets in 2 3/4" shells.
Canik TP9SF One Series
Ruger LCP .22
(2) Ruger LCR 38
(2) Ruger LCRX
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
(2) Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Taurus TX22
Marlin 795 .22 rifle

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 11:04:12 AM »
Forgot your wife was in the equation. If she is recoil sensitive the mini shells may be a viable option for her when using a 18 inch barrel.

We were issued #4 buckshot when I was in the military so I go with that in my pump and Remington 1200 auto loader. I have 3 inch magnums with 00 in my side by side 12ga. It’s not a shoulder fired weapon with that load.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 11:20:50 AM »
Just picked up a really nice Mossberg 590 Tactical at our local pawn shop for really good price.  It had just come in and wasn't on the shelf an hour when I spotted it while looking at hand guns. 
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Thomas Jefferson Papers p. 334, 1950)

Offline AdioSS

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 09:13:27 PM »
A 12GA Maverick 88 Field was my first shotgun. It has gone through a complete makeover from the fixed stock, slick field forend, & 28” barrel to the adjustable should, recoil absorbing pistol grip stock, vertical grip forend, & 18” barrel with a night sight. Never tried the mini shells in it or the Shockwave.
Cheston