Author Topic: Gun buying strategy for current climate?  (Read 892 times)

Offline ak2u

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
Gun buying strategy for current climate?
« on: September 02, 2020, 10:45:22 AM »
I was hoping to get all the necessary training before purchasing my first handgun but the gun ranges are even selling their rental fleet.

Is there a strategy to employ in order to snag a Smith and Wesson .380 EZ? When do the manufacturers tend to release the guns to the dealers?

The Smith and Wesson .380 EZ is the only gun I have tried that I was fully able to rack, load and fire but every where I have called they are sold out. Some of the gun dealers have posted not to call them and to physically stop by to see what they get in cause the guns are selling as fast as they come in. They are not doing wait lists. It is first come first serve.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Gun buying strategy for current climate?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »
Here is what I found online. Go here: https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=S%26W+380+shield

I bought my last 2 guns online. You just purchase it and have it shipped to a local FFL. If the online dealer doesn't already have a copy of the FFL's license, you have to call your local dealer and ask that they email or fax it to the dealer you bought the gun to.

Then, the online dealer ships it to your gunstore. And, you pay your local gunstore a transfer fee... Basically, a few they charge for their trouble. They do the paperwork for the final sale (the government form).

Look around - local gunstores can charge anywhere between $10 to $75 for a transfer. Try to find a place that is $25 or less. I pay $25 at my local shop.

Of the places that have that gun in stock... On the link I posted above... I have dealt with Gunprime (a few times) and Sportsman Outdoor Superstore. I have not dealt with Guns.com

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 01:07:00 PM »
I was hoping to get all the necessary training before purchasing my first handgun but the gun ranges are even selling their rental fleet.

Is there a strategy to employ in order to snag a Smith and Wesson .380 EZ? When do the manufacturers tend to release the guns to the dealers?

The Smith and Wesson .380 EZ is the only gun I have tried that I was fully able to rack, load and fire but every where I have called they are sold out. Some of the gun dealers have posted not to call them and to physically stop by to see what they get in cause the guns are selling as fast as they come in. They are not doing wait lists. It is first come first serve.

It is good that you want to get trained on how to handle and use your pistol.

However, doing the right thing is going to be kinda hard given the current buying shortage being caused by practically everyone wanting to buy a gun due to the current socio-political climate and unrest.

I'm not a firearms instructor or anything, but in my opinion, as long as you do not buy any ammunition yet (ask the FFL Shipwreck mentioned to check there's none in the pistol itself or the box for you too, just for added reassurance) you should be able to buy the pistol and keep it handy somewhere at home, secured if need be, until it's time for you to begin your formal instruction. Without ammo, it's essentially no more inherently dangerous than a paper weight of the same general size and shape.

There's not really such a thing as manufacturers making and selling guns only according to some strict quantity/delivery schedule. They get made and delivered to dealers more or less the same way toilet paper gets delivered when possible to your local grocery store by national distributors. Normally, it would be something you'd just go into the store and get what you need; now-days, it's just a question of being one of the lucky few to wander in the morning a truck gets unloaded and the merchandise is put out, before all the crazies come running in to snap everything up.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:16:15 PM by Gilgondorin »

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 02:05:36 PM »
Bud’s Guns is showing the .380 EZ in stock. Use their FFL finder and follow the directions. Good luck finding ammo.

I bought a .380 EZ two years ago and really like it. Was considering the 9mm EZ but waited to long. Availability now is about 0 and the price for the ones I occasionally do see are about $100 more than what it was pre COVID. I’ll wait until things calm down a bit and see what’s up. Have a feeling it’s going to be a long wait.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:50:54 PM by Alte Schule »
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 03:34:02 PM »
If you cant rack a semi auto with reliability buy a revolver 38/357 much better sd rd than a 380..38 is soft as a 380 out of 3 or so inch barrel. But a 38/357 means when you are comfortable step up to 357mag ammo.

I feel a person that has issues with manipulation of a SA gun hould be on a wheelie.

As long as rds are in the cyl pull the dam trigger and bang. No worries about jams/malfunctions and clearing etc.

Flip the cyl out drop in 6 or (5) fresh rds and close it and viola bang again.

Dont buy a gun and no ammo as mentioned thats just not practical or worth anything may as well buy a couple hammers.

My 02 and worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ak2u

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 04:05:41 PM »
THANK YOU!! That was a lot easier. I ordered it at the links stated above and notified the local place. It looks like a 2 week wait or more but at least I don't have to run around to local dealers in the hopes of that a shipment has arrived. :th_thicon_idea:

Thanks for all the responses!

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 04:06:09 PM »
I have to echo Shield's sentiments on this. If you have difficulty racking the slide, and only one in 380 with the EZ rack slide is what you're able to work, a revolver might be the better option for you. One in 38 Spl. would be much superior to the 380 as well. Plus, most small 380 pistols, usually don't have high capacity anyways, so a revolver isn't that big a disadvantage as far as capacity.

Offline ak2u

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 04:26:30 PM »
Thanks Shield and Axxe55.

I wanted to rent a revolver to try at the range to see if it was easier for me but they are all out of ammo.
I have rheumatoid arthritis with deformities and small hands so my options are limited to what I can handle.

The 380 EZ is a tad wide for my hands but I was able to successfully fire it with the trainer so I am hoping it will do for now and then I can take my time to find something better suited once the chaos calms down. If the 2nd amendment gets removed like I am hearing on the news then I will at least have one gun for protection.

I have some range ammo left over from my training session but my understanding is I need to get self-defense ammo but hopefully that will be easier to procure. 

If you cant rack a semi auto with reliability buy a revolver 38/357 much better sd rd than a 380..38 is soft as a 380 out of 3 or so inch barrel. But a 38/357 means when you are comfortable step up to 357mag ammo.

I feel a person that has issues with manipulation of a SA gun hould be on a wheelie.

As long as rds are in the cyl pull the dam trigger and bang. No worries about jams/malfunctions and clearing etc.

Dont buy a gun and no ammo as mentioned thats just not practical or worth anything may as well buy a couple hammers.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 04:31:59 PM »
Thanks Shield and Axxe55.

I wanted to rent a revolver to try at the range to see if it was easier for me but they are all out of ammo.
I have rheumatoid arthritis with deformities and small hands so my options are limited to what I can handle.

The 380 EZ is a tad wide for my hands but I was able to successfully fire it with the trainer so I am hoping it will do for now and then I can take my time to find something better suited once the chaos calms down. If the 2nd amendment gets removed like I am hearing on the news then I will at least have one gun for protection.

I have some range ammo left over from my training session but my understanding is I need to get self-defense ammo but hopefully that will be easier to procure. 

Thank you for clearing that up about your hands. Makes much better sense why you are wanting to go the direction in the choice you are making.

And welcome to the forum sir! Glad to have you aboard. I'm over here in East Texas.

Also, check out some videos on YouTube on ways to "rack" the slide if you have medical issues with your hands. Might find other ways to get around that problem for you.

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 06:15:23 PM »
Have you looked at CDNN.com or GrabAgun.com  (both are in TX so expect to pay sales tax + your LGS fees)

gunbroker.com is another option..

Now would be the worst time looking for a specific gun... People be freakin out snapping up every gun manufactured..

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 06:27:47 PM »
Any ammo is better than none.
SD rounds are preferable for protection but a round ball aka range ammo will make a hole.

Offline Babbalou1956

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 08:33:15 AM »
I scored a new shotgun from Academy 2 days ago. I had been looking online but as soon as anything appeared it was gone within minutes. 2 shotguns were bought while I was trying to pay for them online because someone else was faster. I asked my local Academy when their truck comes in. They said Monday, Wednesday & Friday. I showed up last Wednesday when they opened & waited. My shotgun came off the truck, into the store for 2 seconds & I jumped on it first. Had I waited at home until their website showed "One in Stock" it would have sold in 2 minutes. In my area it's Academy, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's & a few gun ranges. I'm off to Academy in 10 minutes to buy Snap Caps & possibly ammo if the truck comes in. Hopefully you get a good EZ 380. I rented one & had to push my thumb on that grip safety hard or it wouldn't fire. Tried my brother-in-law's new EZ 9mm & loved it. Shot it well & no problems with the grip safety. Maybe I got a lemon. UPDATE: I just returned from Academy. When I got there 5 minutes before opening there was a line of maybe 40 people. They stayed in order & every single person in line went straight to the gun department. Maybe get there an hour early. I got my Snap Caps & the guy in front of me had about 1,000 rounds of 9mm & 600 rounds of .223. I'm sure he'll shoot it all up today & come back tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:53:55 AM by Babbalou1956 »
Canik TP9SF One Series
Ruger LCP .22
(2) Ruger LCR 38
(2) Ruger LCRX
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
(2) Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Taurus TX22
Marlin 795 .22 rifle
Mossberg 88 Security 12 G.

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 10:16:48 AM »
I scored a new shotgun from Academy 2 days ago. I had been looking online but as soon as anything appeared it was gone within minutes. 2 shotguns were bought while I was trying to pay for them online because someone else was faster. I asked my local Academy when their truck comes in. They said Monday, Wednesday & Friday. I showed up last Wednesday when they opened & waited. My shotgun came off the truck, into the store for 2 seconds & I jumped on it first. Had I waited at home until their website showed "One in Stock" it would have sold in 2 minutes. In my area it's Academy, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's & a few gun ranges. I'm off to Academy in 10 minutes to buy Snap Caps & possibly ammo if the truck comes in. Hopefully you get a good EZ 380. I rented one & had to push my thumb on that grip safety hard or it wouldn't fire. Tried my brother-in-law's new EZ 9mm & loved it. Shot it well & no problems with the grip safety. Maybe I got a lemon. UPDATE: I just returned from Academy. When I got there 5 minutes before opening there was a line of maybe 40 people. They stayed in order & every single person in line went straight to the gun department. Maybe get there an hour early. I got my Snap Caps & the guy in front of me had about 1,000 rounds of 9mm & 600 rounds of .223. I'm sure he'll shoot it all up today & come back tomorrow.
At the current prices I am so glad I have a good stock of all ammo calibers I require. Currently as supplies are hard to come by my reloading has slowed so I have curtailed most of my “shooting”.
Some 22 still and working on my crossbow skills.
Which is all good as it still requires many of same skills as rifle.

NO way I pay the current cost of ammo for target and contribute to the overinflated prices.

I been shooting handguns for long enough Im confident should it be required.

Save my ammo and my money and when this blows over back to the buy and stock up plan I have always had.

All these newbs are making it tough to enjoy shooting sports. Soon they will be back to the couch and the shelves we be filled again.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 12:26:00 PM »
Have you looked at CDNN.com or GrabAgun.com  (both are in TX so expect to pay sales tax + your LGS fees)

gunbroker.com is another option..

Now would be the worst time looking for a specific gun... People be freakin out snapping up every gun manufactured..

Unfortunately, all the online gun dealers I have bought form in the past year are charging sales tax anyway. So, no escaping that any longer....

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 07:36:00 AM »
I got really lucky recently (August) and just happened to be at my local pawn shop in Brenham when a beautiful Mossberg 590 Tactical 12-gauge shotgun just happen to be sitting on the shelf.  I'm standing there chatting with the guy about rifles and shotguns and how scarce everything is, when he says "check this out - it just came in about an hour ago and will be gone by end of the day today".  I didn't even hesitate and grabbed it and for a really good price - much cheaper than what they are going for right now.  It's the ammo that's a pain to get at the moment, which is thru the roof.  The only ammo our local Wal Mart has for shotgun is #7.5 bird shot and no buck or slug and seems like everything is going for $1 per round or higher.  Luckily I bought 500 rounds of 5.56 NATO for my AR-15 last year, so I'm good on rifle ammo. 
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Thomas Jefferson Papers p. 334, 1950)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 08:47:53 AM »
Cool. Congrats!

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
I got really lucky recently (August) and just happened to be at my local pawn shop in Brenham when a beautiful Mossberg 590 Tactical 12-gauge shotgun just happen to be sitting on the shelf.  I'm standing there chatting with the guy about rifles and shotguns and how scarce everything is, when he says "check this out - it just came in about an hour ago and will be gone by end of the day today".  I didn't even hesitate and grabbed it and for a really good price - much cheaper than what they are going for right now.  It's the ammo that's a pain to get at the moment, which is thru the roof.  The only ammo our local Wal Mart has for shotgun is #7.5 bird shot and no buck or slug and seems like everything is going for $1 per round or higher.  Luckily I bought 500 rounds of 5.56 NATO for my AR-15 last year, so I'm good on rifle ammo.
500 rds thats a days worth maybe two if ya conserve.
Just scored Wolf Ammo 9pellet 00 buck for 7.99/5rds. To add to my shotty stash.
I have a good stash of 7.62x39 for my AR SKS AK and Ruger Bolt gun (close to 5k last count. Also have a decent stock for my other long guns.
Also well stocked on Pistol ammo and as of now scored some bullets and primers so I can hit the reload bench and add to the pistol stock.

In light of things my shooting recently has been 22cal break barrel and 22LR as well as the crossbow.

Im gonna set on my stash for a bit I know my guns are sighted and work so I have no worries there. Things will relax after POTUS reelection.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:15:14 PM by Shield45 »

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »

I'm gonna set on my stash for a bit I know my guns are sighted and work so I have no worries there. Things will relax after POTUS reelection.

Sure hope so but seems like things are escalating into waters we have never been before.  Both sides see this as do-or-die election and consequences of one side losing to the other is end of the world as we know it.  Personally, I never paid much attention to politics until 2018, but that changed after what happened to SCOTUS Justice Kavanaugh.  What they put that man through was reprehensible and it opened my eyes to the vast hole this country is spiraling down. I just have this gut feeling the election results will be hotly contested right up to inauguration day in January, and newly appointed Justice Barrett will end up being the deciding vote on who the next president will be. 
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Thomas Jefferson Papers p. 334, 1950)