Author Topic: Decided to build a few new suppressor's. E-file Form 1 style  (Read 843 times)

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
Decided to build a few new suppressor's. E-file Form 1 style
« on: August 19, 2020, 10:20:10 PM »
Owning several suppressor's,and knowing the screwed up process that you have to go through buying a factory made suppressor and then the stupid long drawn out process that a Form 4 application takes,I decided to build 3 new suppressors using solvent traps.

Now,Before some of you start yelling that this is illegal. It is 100% legal to build a suppressor from a solvent trap kit,as long as you understand the rules. You can't modify anything on the solvent trap before you are approved for the Tax Stamp.
Buy it,put it in a closet,etc..

1. Set up an account on Eforms.atf.gov.
2. Get some Fingerprint Cards ( I ordered mine off Amazon),Go to your local Sheriff dept.,and get fingerprinted.You need two cards done for each application.
3. Take a passport style photo of yourself and store it in your computer.
4. Then fill out a Form 1 application,download your photo,pay the $200 tax. The BATFE will email you everything else once they start processing your application. You'll get pdf files with your actual application,and cover letter's to send a copy of the application to your CLEO,and to send your fingerprint cards into the BATFE.

After that,it usually takes 1-2 month's to get approved,and they will email you the tax stamp's.

Since I made up my own Model #'s for my suppressor's,it adds a couple weeks to the process,but I didn't want to use a Model # that someone else had already used.

Once you get your tax stamp approved,then you have to get the suppressor engraved. You have to put your name or trust name,the model #,the serial# that you made up,and the city and state where you live.
Then,I'll drill out all of the internal parts,and end cap's,and I can enjoy my new suppressor's.
I'm building another Rimfire,a 6.8 mm for my 223/6.5/and 6.8 AR's,and a pistol caliber for my 45's & 40's.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: Decided to build a few new suppressor's. E-file Form 1 style
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 12:05:41 AM »
Great post and very informative Hillbilly.  :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
Re: Decided to build a few new suppressor's. E-file Form 1 style
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 05:35:59 PM »
After waiting for over 9 weeks, I finally received my Cover Letter's for 2 of the 3 Eform 1 suppressor applications that I sent in. I can now send in my finger print cards to the BATFE and finally get my tax stamps, then proceed in drilling out my new suppressor's and get them engraved.

Maybe, I'll have them finished and working by the end of the year.