Author Topic: DIY Homemade Weed Killer......  (Read 195 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
DIY Homemade Weed Killer......
« on: July 27, 2020, 01:34:38 PM »
I found a recipe for a homemade weed killer not using dangerous chemicals that seems to work pretty good so far.

1/2 cup of table salt.
1 cup of white vinegar.
about 3 ozs. of Dawn dish soap.
2 gallons of water.

Mix well and make sure the salt dissolves. Put into a garden sprayer and spray your weeds!

So far, it seems to kill just about anything. It's not selective, so be careful when spraying around plants you don't want killed. Works best with lots of direct sunlight and heat. Use during the hotter part of the day. You can see it start to work in just a few hours.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Homemade Weed Killer......
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 02:02:57 PM »
This sounds like it could be a bit risky if used very frequently.

Salting the Earth was a method used by tyrant conquerors in ancient times to destroying crops by ensuring nothing (except particularly hardy weeds) would ever grow again in the soil any time soon since salt kills existing plant life and prevents any from growing in the future; it stays in the soil unless and until it's sufficiently washed out over time by rainfall.

A spritz here or there probably won't harm your plants in the short-term, but I'd be cautious of salinity building up in the dirt the more you use this recipe in the long term.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 04:36:44 PM »
This sounds like it could be a bit risky if used very frequently.

Salting the Earth was a method used by tyrant conquerors in ancient times to destroying crops by ensuring nothing (except particularly hardy weeds) would ever grow again in the soil any time soon since salt kills existing plant life and prevents any from growing in the future; it stays in the soil unless and until it's sufficiently washed out over time by rainfall.

A spritz here or there probably won't harm your plants in the short-term, but I'd be cautious of salinity building up in the dirt the more you use this recipe in the long term.

The salt issue was mentioned in the article I read about this homemade weed killer, but I'm not saturating the ground with the weed killer, and the main areas I'm using it, I can't mow because of all the underbrush, tree stumps and vines. Plus, I'm mainly spraying the leaves of the weeds right now.

Offline riattta

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 09:18:57 AM »
would work good in the driveway cracks then. 

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 08:01:24 PM »
Dad gave me some Round-Up yesterday! The homemade weed killer does seem to work on some weeds, like poison ivy and oak, but some, not so well.