Author Topic: NOT PC: Government enables homeless camps at an underpass  (Read 705 times)

Offline cporfe

• Military
  • Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
NOT PC: Government enables homeless camps at an underpass
« on: July 21, 2020, 07:48:05 PM »
I was driving today to grocery shop when I saw a much larger-than-usual encampment at 183N and Oak Knoll.  I feel bad that folks have been relegated to this type of living.  But apparently Austin City government thought adding port-a-potties, trash bins, and what appears to be a water source (I can't tell having never seen one like in the picture) would make everyone, including drivers and pedestrians safer.  I didn't notice a single mask being worn except on the beggars on the corners.  Perhaps social distancing and mask executive orders apply to law abiding citizens only.

Since so many liberals are trying to take America back to a third world type country, perhaps they will endorse temporarily taking large plots of public and private landscape (there is a large company near there with plenty of manicured lawn on the north side of Research BLVD) and make a proper displaced person camp. With shelters, sanitary provisions, potable water, and free food.  That's what so many other "enlightened" countries do.  It would be a hell of a lot better than living under an overpass in what is politely considered a concrete oven during the day.

Anyway, I thought I'd rant. 

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/da9402c93bcabac94fea0d33b21d05ad.jpg
http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/4cae52b8c6498d1b939bd7896233e2c6.jpg
http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/ee58fc016d69c67bbdaf34318661e335.jpg
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: NOT PC: Government enables homeless camps at an underpass
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:09:34 PM »
Thanks!
Im so happy to no longer live in Austin.

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 06:07:11 AM »
Seeing more of them under bridges here in SA.

Gonna see more I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 06:11:28 AM »
Use to see them thirty years ago "camping" under the overpasses around Houston. Always trying to panhandle for money from people stopped at the traffic lights.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 02:52:53 PM »
Ironically, I've heard it suggested that the reason the virus is having less luck striking down large numbers of the homeless, particularly the ones that have been that way for years, is because their lifestyle is basically never-ending boot camp for their immune systems.

It's not to say they're completely immune, mind you, but they probably have as good a chance as anybody else -- everyone's always quick to say, "Oh, kids these days are afraid of a little bit of dirt." Not the homeless!

Offline Ranger99

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 03:58:21 PM »
  I feel bad that folks have been relegated to this type of living. 

Not trying to make anyone feel bad or whatever,
but in this area there are many that choose to
be on the street free of any responsibility or
expense.
One of the local news programs followed a
" homeless " man for a day for a story about
panhandlers when it was pretty controversial
here. IIRC he made about $100.00 that day
begging on corners, and went straight to a
dope dealer and bought a supply of drugs.

Many here don't want to stay at a shelter or
such because they won't allow anyone that
is drunk or high. A former co-worker used
to work at his church's homeless kitchen
and there were many that wouldn't partake
of a meal because there was no smoking
or drug or alcohol use allowed in the area
or on the buses that picked up and dropped
off the " homeless " people.

Some people are just that way. They make
it hard for the people that genuinely want
and need help to get it
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 05:19:42 PM »
  I feel bad that folks have been relegated to this type of living. 

Not trying to make anyone feel bad or whatever,
but in this area there are many that choose to
be on the street free of any responsibility or
expense.
One of the local news programs followed a
" homeless " man for a day for a story about
panhandlers when it was pretty controversial
here. IIRC he made about $100.00 that day
begging on corners, and went straight to a
dope dealer and bought a supply of drugs.

Many here don't want to stay at a shelter or
such because they won't allow anyone that
is drunk or high. A former co-worker used
to work at his church's homeless kitchen
and there were many that wouldn't partake
of a meal because there was no smoking
or drug or alcohol use allowed in the area
or on the buses that picked up and dropped
off the " homeless " people.

Some people are just that way. They make
it hard for the people that genuinely want
and need help to get it

For the most part, and most of them, I have no sympathy for them. They choose to live such a lifestyle.

Color me a cynic, but too many of them use most any money they beg for on drugs or booze.

Offline Ranger99

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 06:56:05 PM »
JMHO- anyone receiving gubmint
assistance should be subject to
random testing for narcotics, alcohol,
or tobacco.
Nobody should be buying those
things with taxpayer dollars

Offline randyjaco

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 07:12:47 PM »
I also think that anyone on federal assistance should lose their right to vote as long as they are receiving it.
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Offline cporfe

• Military
  • Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 09:09:01 PM »
I'm not sure what actually happened, but yesterday while I was driving around McNeil Rd and 183N, I saw several police cruisers with lights on and several government trucks with trailers.  I thought they were dis-mantling the homeless camps but later in the day, some were still there.  I was wondering if they just moved those who agreed or just picked up all the mattresses, trash and broken furniture that had been dragged over there.  Don't know.  I did see one of the remaining campers sweeping up around her tent.  Maybe a good general cleaning?  If anyone knows, let me know.  I'm just curious.
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 05:59:35 PM »
I find it very hard to show much sympathy for street people.

Most choose to live like that.

We have 2 in our little town.
While they have an apartment, they beg on the streets daily.

The one plays his version of music, he is horrible, in front of the grocery store. He has $8. Per pack marlboros laying in his guitar case and ALWAYS heads straight into the liquor store about 50 feet away as soon as he gets enough money for a bottle.

He is not homeless,  but just a worthless bum.

He is a scammer, a mooch, and charloton straight up.

One day he tried to talk to me, as he does most people, trying to stike up a conversation to tell his woe is me story and get money.

I said, "you know, I quit smoking when marlboros were $5 a pack because I couldnt afford it.
But your sitting her chain smoking them when they're $ 8 bucks a pack.

He just gave a blank look.

I think people may have either raised hell with the store until they gave him the boot. I have not seen him in several months. Maybe he moved on to greener pastures. People here started adding 2 + 2 and realizing he was just a lazy beggar who needed the best cigarettes and booze.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 07:12:48 PM »
Well Never ben there myself and dont plan to try it. However sometimes life deals ya a bum hand. I know we control our situation one reason I am frugal as frugal can be I live very basic within my means. Some seem to think its a  competition ya know keep up with thy neighbor. As a result some are bit in the bum.

Sorta what makes me chuckle when the Experian boost or some other commercial that these young people believe and or fall for.

Good credit score just means your a responsible person who honors their debts.

I on occasion have bought one of the less fortunate in the area food or drink but no alcohol and no just $$.

You never know what the next hand the game of life will deal you.   

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 04:55:12 PM »
I find the whole Experian thing funny.

All a good credit score means is you are neck deep in debt and pay the Bills on time.

I dont give a tinker's damn what my score is, and because I have everything paid off, and dont borrow money, my score is shit.

When We went in last year to buy the wife a SUV, the new kid at the bank our scores and you could tell he was questioning even giving us a loan .( It now has 1 payment left.)

He called the manager over, whom we have known and dealt with for close to 25 years.

She was getting ready to retire, so called the new manager over, introduced us, and told our mutual banking history. 

She said these people have A+ credit at our bank, their credit score is irrelevant.

Then she pulled up their internal records with  about a dozen loans, including a mortgage, and showed every one of them was paid off early.

So while we have no bad credit, we have really no credit at all internet wise. The good thing is nobody tries identity theft with a crappy credit score.

We also live frugal, pay cash when we can, and just dont buy crap we dont need. We dont much care about keeping  up with anyone.

I have bought several people meals over the years, even bought one lady with kids groceries, (with the wife's full approval) as i knew for a fact her worthless old man ran off on her. The kids literally had nothing to eat and she didnt have a dime to her name. We also got her fixed up with the salvation army to get some help with everything. And they really helped her out. (One reason I do donate to the salvation army)
but I never give money to bums.

I'm willing to help someone in a jam, but not a self inflicted jam of their choosing.

I refuse to be taken advantage off when i had to work my butt off for everything i have.

I've got 3 of the most worthless, pos brother in laws in  the world. Drug addicts, drunks, still asking their 80 year old dad to bail their lazy asses out every week because they refuse to work and support themselves or the kids they made. They are not even allowed on my property, as they will steal anything, even from their own family.
 So I'm pretty rigid when dealing with bums.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 05:09:02 PM »
DCD Im with ya.
I got 2 yrs on house
Then I will sell it pay off land and move to the country. God willing the world stays intact that long.

Everything else two cars etc all pd off.

My score is almost perfect like 780 or some such.

But I am FAR from wealthy.

I like you am frugal buy what I need/want cash but ATM have curtailed that as well concentrating on clearing what debt I have.

Praying shiat doesnt go 100% sideways in the near future.

Offline Ranger99

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »
We also live frugal, pay cash when we can, and just dont buy crap we dont need. We dont much care about keeping  up with anyone.

Pretty much ^  ^  ^  ^  ^  the key to living
in this day and age
All school kids should be required to write
this by hand a couple of hundred times
before advancing each grade once they
get to be 12 - 13 years old

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 01:23:00 PM »
I think a lot of people end up in debt and way over their heads because they want the status that material things they think brings them. Then they are living beyond their means and paying huge amounts of money, and getting nowhere, except further in debt.

I use to live in such a way. Wanted all the nice things to impress others. But as I got older, and hopefully wiser, my needs and wants have become much simpler. I have no need or desire to impress people any more. People can take me or leave me as they see fit. If I need to have fancy and expensive things to impress you, then I don't need, or want you around me anyways.

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 04:14:57 PM »
I find the whole Experian thing funny.

All a good credit score means is you are neck deep in debt and pay the Bills on time.

I dont give a tinker's damn what my score is, and because I have everything paid off, and dont borrow money, my score is shit.

DCD327,You're wrong when you think that a good credit score means you have a lot of debt. I've always had perfect credit because I am responsible,but back in 1995 my ex-girlfriend stole my identity since she had access to all my personal information working for a Credit Union that I belonged to.
She got 4-5 credit cards in my name and ran up close to $60k in fraudulent charges & cash advances. Back then,there were no laws against Identity Theft so the local LE couldn't do anything,and I couldn't prove she did it. The CC companies were no help,and they all came after me for the debt. I refused to pay any of them a dime,and it completely ruined my credit / credit score for many years.

Fast forward to today,and once again I have perfect credit - credit score across the board is 800+. I've never been neck deep in debt,just had typical car,house,land payments. Rarely ever had much CC debt,usually paid the balance off every month.
I've been debt free for almost 4 years,and my credit score has still remained the same. If your credit score went down once you got debt free,you need to call the credit score companies to find out why.

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 01:21:00 PM »
I wont say I know exactly how credit scores work.

Mine has been stuck @ 625 for 20 years.

We have ZERO credit cards. We NEVER used credit cards, EVER.

Every bank loan we ever had was paid of literally years early.

All at the same bank.

I also never gave a hoot about  a credit score it either. Didnt have to care about it. 😁

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 02:18:15 PM »
Everything we own is also payed off and the only bills we have is the gas and electric.
Sometimes we will use a credit card but not often.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.