Author Topic: Ultra quiet *Centerfire* rifle: what does it take?  (Read 566 times)

Online TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Ultra quiet *Centerfire* rifle: what does it take?
« on: July 01, 2020, 08:27:15 AM »
Suppressing Boomer is a bit of a joke, even with the massive sound reduction he still sounds like a 12 Ga Magnum.
Question is if I wanted the absolutely quietest*Centerfire*  rifle possible, what’s the formula that test me there:
Ammo
Rifle
Modifications
Suppressor

Edited to clarify a centerfire rifle. I'm expecting it's .30 cal or less.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:24:21 AM by TXAZ »

Online Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: Ultra quiet rifle: what does it take?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:28:47 AM »
Air rifle!  :wave1:

You can thank me later!   :th_thicon_lol:

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
Re: Ultra quiet rifle: what does it take?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »
Air rifle!  :wave1:

You can thank me later!   :th_thicon_lol:
My break barrel 22 has a fairly loud report. Forget the pellet and its 22 rifle worthy as far as loud.

Sub sonic round thru a suppressor would be about as good as it gets Id think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultra quiet *Centerfire* rifle: what does it take?
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 11:10:20 AM »
No matter what you do, there will ALWAYS be the sonic crack of the bullet. 

Sub sonic ammo would be about the only chance, and likely wouldnt be for shit at distance, or penetration.

You can get a 9mm carbine pretty quiet, like less than a 22 or,  but not silent.

I think it's pretty much a loose loose battle.

Slow, inaccurate, ineffective,  quiet,
Vs
Fast, accurate, lethal, with a crack.

I dont think you Cant have your cake and eat it too on this one.

Physics and gravity just  wont allow it.

So screw it, I'm being noisy.  :th_thicon_lol:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Pack a Range Bag
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 12:13:49 PM »
You'll spend some money getting a centerfire rifle cartridge to be quiet.
1. You'll need to buy a rifle with an integral suppressed barrel. It has a greater suppression capability than a screw on style suppressor.
2. You will need to shoot sub-sonic ammo. Think flying brick! Like a 200+ grain bullet getting shot out of a 308 around 1000 fps.

I don't waste my time shooting sub-sonic ammo out of my centerfire rifles. To accurately shoot most sub-sonic ammo,you really need non standard twist rates for the cartridge in order to stabilize the heavier bullets getting shot at a slower speed.

The good thing about shooting a bolt action rifle suppressed is down range even when shooting supersonic ammo,you can't really tell where the sound came from.
I hunt with suppressors on my rifles,and it doesn't matter if it's deer,pigs,or turkeys. I can shoot an animal in a group,and all the other animals will just look up from the sound. They usually don't even move from where they are standing.
Hunting with a suppressed AR is a lot noisier because the cycling of the action,but as long as you hit the animal,most of the others don't pay much attention to it.

Offline AdioSS

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 06:18:27 PM »
Suppressed Subsonic 300 AAC is pretty quiet & it works great in the AR15 platform

From the videos I’ve seen, a pistol caliber lever action shooting non-Magnum Special ammo or downloaded Cowboy Action ammo through a suppressor is really quiet, but the ammo is heavy enough to still thump whatever it ends up hitting.
Cheston

Online TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 09:06:26 PM »
1. You'll need to buy a rifle with an integral suppressed barrel. It has a greater suppression capability than a screw on style suppressor.
2. You will need to shoot sub-sonic ammo. Think flying brick! Like a 200+ grain bullet getting shot out of a 308 around 1000 fps.

I don't waste my time shooting sub-sonic ammo out of my centerfire rifles. To accurately shoot most sub-sonic ammo,you really need non standard twist rates for the cartridge in order to stabilize the heavier bullets getting shot at a slower speed.

The good thing about shooting a bolt action rifle suppressed is down range even when shooting supersonic ammo,you can't really tell where the sound came from.
I hunt with suppressors on my rifles,and it doesn't matter if it's deer,pigs,or turkeys. I can shoot an animal in a group,and all the other animals will just look up from the sound. They usually don't even move from where they are standing.
Hunting with a suppressed AR is a lot noisier because the cycling of the action,but as long as you hit the animal,most of the others don't pay much attention to it.

Keep going TXhillbilly!  "Quiet" to the degree possible out to +/- 200 yards works. 

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 11:14:03 PM »

[/quote]

Keep going TXhillbilly!  "Quiet" to the degree possible out to +/- 200 yards works.
[/quote]
That's where,   subsonic + bullet coefficient + gravity = short range crappy results.

I had read in Vietnam special ops experimented with a swedish K built .45 acp caliber sub machine gun. Supposedly for prisoner snatches across the fence. 

They had is so quiet the loudest  noise was the bolt racking.

But said it wasnt any good, Or accurate past 25 feet.

They had tried a single shot 22 first, and that just pissed the would be victim off.

I think they even tried some jet fire thing.

Since the lethality was nil, they scratched the whole project.

I really dont think you can have you cake and eat it too on this one.  :bangheadonwall:

If it's possible for any kind of range, its beyond my knowledge.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 11:47:29 PM »
During the Vietnam War, the Army were supplied with some Sionics suppressors for the M14 rifle, that were also equipped with a night vision scope. They were using standard ammunition for the M14, but with the suppressor, and night vision scope, there was still the sonic crack, but no muzzle blast and the enemy had no idea where the shots were actually coming from. It was just a further refinement of some of the sniper programs to unbalance the enemy.

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 01:26:29 PM »
During the Vietnam War, the Army were supplied with some Sionics suppressors for the M14 rifle, that were also equipped with a night vision scope. They were using standard ammunition for the M14, but with the suppressor, and night vision scope, there was still the sonic crack, but no muzzle blast and the enemy had no idea where the shots were actually coming from. It was just a further refinement of some of the sniper programs to unbalance the enemy.

That's interesting.

I have read alot of the snipers tricks they used, trying to deflect the sound, etc.

But I had never read up on  that particular set up.

I know my uncle did 2 tours, 68 n 69.
He was one of those guys who never talked about it. He was with an engineer company.

The past couple years he all a sudden started telling me about things. Some mundane, some pretty ugly.

But he said he found out real quick to carry an m14. After shooting several enemy with an m16 and not stopping them, he said the m14 would put em on the ground right now, and they didnt get back up.

He said their guys would even carry an M1 if they couldnt find an m14. Since we supplied M1s to ROKs and Arvn, and they had an ROK group In  their area.
He also said those ROKs were some of the meanest ruthless SOBs he ever met.
But they traded with them all the time.

He said the m16 had zero penetration, and when you did hit them, they mostly ran away. Or kept coming.

they hated that worthless black plastic rifle. ( his words) :th_thicon_lol:

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Pack a Range Bag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 02:53:04 PM »

Here's a video of Keith Warren pig hunting with an integral suppressed Savage 10 308,he's shooting sub-sonic ammo.

https://txsilencers.com/remington-700-308-integrally-suppressed/

Online Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 03:44:07 PM »

That's interesting.

I have read alot of the snipers tricks they used, trying to deflect the sound, etc.

But I had never read up on  that particular set up.

I know my uncle did 2 tours, 68 n 69.
He was one of those guys who never talked about it. He was with an engineer company.

The past couple years he all a sudden started telling me about things. Some mundane, some pretty ugly.

But he said he found out real quick to carry an m14. After shooting several enemy with an m16 and not stopping them, he said the m14 would put em on the ground right now, and they didnt get back up.

He said their guys would even carry an M1 if they couldnt find an m14. Since we supplied M1s to ROKs and Arvn, and they had an ROK group In  their area.
He also said those ROKs were some of the meanest ruthless SOBs he ever met.
But they traded with them all the time.

He said the m16 had zero penetration, and when you did hit them, they mostly ran away. Or kept coming.

they hated that worthless black plastic rifle. ( his words) :th_thicon_lol:

I read about it some years ago. It was a form of psychological warfare they tried to use against the enemy. The enemy could hear the "crack" of the shot, but under the cover of darkness, using night vision scopes, and the suppressors, they had no idea where it was coming from.