Author Topic: The High Price of Technology and Convenience.  (Read 391 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
The High Price of Technology and Convenience.
« on: May 17, 2020, 12:06:44 PM »
What price are we paying for technology and convenience? The loss of our own personal privacy? The hands on approach of true craftsmanship? Becoming slaves to technology? The loss of actually thinking problems out and solving them ourselves?

As technology advances, it almost seems to me that society as a majority, and primarily among the younger generations, that we are being "dumbed" down to a large degree. Too many people tend to rely upon technology to solve problems, or to find answers as their solutions. That in some ways, we are letting machines do our thinking and work for us. At what point do the machines think we are no longer needed, or that we are the threat? Now, this may sound far-fetched, and sound like the movie franchise "Terminator" and to be honest, the thought of this idea came to me some years ago after watching the first "Terminator" movie. Carefully thinking it over, It's really not as crazy as one might think. For that movie to become actually real, and not just sci-fy imagination, AI, (artificial intelligence) would need to become a reality. That is one thing that many are working on as the next progression of computer technology. Once that truly happens, then the entire premise of the movies becomes a very real possibility IMO.

Another concern, is that we have placed convenience and a fast paced lifestyle above so many other important things in life. We are all in such a hurry, to do, exactly what? The same thing we did the day before. The week before. The month before. The year before. Seems like a being a rat on wheel to me. Not a lifestyle I would want. Seems also like trying to hurry to the grave!

I see technology as a two-sided sword. But are we the masters, or the slaves of technology? If there was some cataclysmic event in which technology was shut down, how would many who have relied upon it so much, survive? IMO, many wouldn't, because they became slaves to it, rather that the master of it.

Personally, I like technology. But I hope and try not to be it's slave. I still read an actual book, or magazine. I still like doing things with my hands, and making things. I still like doing my own research and not just accepting something at face value because someone posted it on the internet. O still like doing many things the old-fashioned way, like my parents, or grandparents, or even my great grandparents did things.

A country boy will survive!

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
Re: The High Price of Technology and Convenience.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 02:56:19 PM »
Tech has a place
However it also can be a scourge which is what is happening with society. Many are too dependent on tech for everyday life.
God for id the intersweb goes TU for any reason. They mass explosion of heads would take out man kind. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 05:11:24 PM »
Yep I'am old school and like to read books and go by the KISS method.
I also have 2 welders and  I like to make things like arbors and trellis's and
other things out of metal.
Have an old Craftsman cast iron table saw that gets a lot of use also.
That thing was made in 1954 and has a 3/4 horse motor that has been
rebuilt once. Don't make them that good anymore.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 08:16:28 PM »

I see technology as a two-sided sword. But are we the masters, or the slaves of technology? If there was some cataclysmic event in which technology was shut down, how would many who have relied upon it so much, survive? IMO, many wouldn't, because they became slaves to it, rather that the master of it.
There's at least one group that wants to eliminate all technology that didn't exist 1400 years ago (except their AK-47's) and others to return to biblical times. 

I wonder what they'll do without aspirin and smartphones?

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 08:30:42 PM »
In general,Technology has made / turned most people stupid. If they can't look at a screen to see the answer,they don't know it.
It surprises me just how many people don't have simple math or writing skills anymore. They have lost the use of their brain,can't add & subtract simple numbers,and their hand writing looks like crap.

Cell / Smart phones have even done more damage. I used to remember a huge amount of phone #'s in my brain. Today,I only remember my parents phone #. It's because we don't have to actually dial anyone's phone # like we had to do when we only had home phone lines.

Technology is good in some ways,bad in others. It wouldn't bother me at all if all this electronic technology would just disappear,and we go back to the way we used to do things. The world would be a better place!

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 08:41:30 PM »
In general,Technology has made / turned most people stupid. If they can't look at a screen to see the answer,they don't know it.
I believe they are more lazy than stupid.  The work ethic isn't what it used to be in 19xx ...

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »
I believe they are more lazy than stupid.  The work ethic isn't what it used to be in 19xx ...

Personally, I think it's a combination of being lazy which makes them stupid. Too willing to just accept without verifying whether what they read is factual and true.

And the work ethic? I have noticed in many, and possibly in a majority of the younger generations, the work ethic has gone to crap. It's shameful. Like they are scared of hard work or something. I know several times I was hired for a job because I was an East Texas farm boy, and they knew I wasn't scared of hard work or getting dirty to get a job done.

Thanks to my father teaching us, I consider everything I have accomplished or earned by working was because of him. Thanks Dad.