Author Topic: The State of Perpetual Build, or PBD!  (Read 465 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
The State of Perpetual Build, or PBD!
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:49:21 PM »
Who else has PBD? What is PBD? It's perpetual build disease!

I have had it as long as I can remember, going back to a much younger version of myself. What is PBD you may ask. It's never being fully content with how something is, and know you can either make it better with modifications, or after completing a project and using it for a while, thinking of ways you could have done it better to suit your needs.

Personally, I have had this all sorts of things, from cars, motorcycles, trucks, guns, tools, houses, ect.  Always looking at things, and thinking I can do better, or make changes better suited to me.

So who else has this dreaded condition? And what are some of your projects that have reflected this and even those still being made better or modified to your suiting?

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: The State of Perpetual Build, or PBD!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 10:52:28 PM »
Yes sir! 
Every day.

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 11:19:20 PM »
Possible I have a mild affliction of PBD. Or at least a case ILTTWSD.
Or
I
To
Tinker
With
Shiat
Disease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 08:18:49 AM »
 :wave1: :wave1: :wave1: :wave1: :wave1: :wave1: :wave1:
Same Sh*t Here
Sometimes, on personal projects, I'll spend many hours and more money than I should to "improve" something. And after completion I'll see that it's"perfect" and then rarely use it.

As a Manufacturing Engineer this type of behavior (continuous improvement) is required on a daily basis. "Hmmmm, That's working pretty good!! But...... I can make it better.

The following may or may not be true:
Now...., I know a guy.....
After his father passed away his mother may have given him a video that his dad made. It might have been step by step instructions on how to make, let's call it "hooch". She also may have told him where he stored all the "manufacturing equipment". The boiler would have been an old beer keg heated by an open flame on a propane cooker and the condenser would have been a 30 gallon barrel full of water with a copper coil running through it. The whole set-up would need about 200+ square feet for operation and had to be run outside in the open air because it was a substantial fire hazard.
Improvements:
First - replace the 30 gallon condenser setup with a DIY copper Liebig condenser and a Harbor Freight water pump.
Second - get rid of the open flame by adding a heating element from a water heater to the boiler and use pulse wave modulation to control the temperature. Maintaining temperature this way would turn out to be a pain in the a$$. O.K., scrap PWM and build a temperature controller with a PID (proportional–integral–derivative controller). PERFECT!!! Set it and forget it!!!!
This setup may have been used a few times in the past. You know, as his personal "science project" or maybe recently to make hand sanitizer. Total square footage to operate would have been reduced to about 20 square feet. The fire hazard was eliminated and it could be set up in a small kitchen.
This guy, he said it would be much cheaper to just stop by Spec's. :beer1:
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 09:24:08 AM »
:wave1: :wave1: :wave1: :wave1: :wave1: :wave1: :wave1:
Same Sh*t Here
Sometimes, on personal projects, I'll spend many hours and more money than I should to "improve" something. And after completion I'll see that it's"perfect" and then rarely use it.

As a Manufacturing Engineer this type of behavior (continuous improvement) is required on a daily basis. "Hmmmm, That's working pretty good!! But...... I can make it better.

The following may or may not be true:
Now...., I know a guy.....
After his father passed away his mother may have given him a video that his dad made. It might have been step by step instructions on how to make, let's call it "hooch". She also may have told him where he stored all the "manufacturing equipment". The boiler would have been an old beer keg heated by an open flame on a propane cooker and the condenser would have been a 30 gallon barrel full of water with a copper coil running through it. The whole set-up would need about 200+ square feet for operation and had to be run outside in the open air because it was a substantial fire hazard.
Improvements:
First - replace the 30 gallon condenser setup with a DIY copper Liebig condenser and a Harbor Freight water pump.
Second - get rid of the open flame by adding a heating element from a water heater to the boiler and use pulse wave modulation to control the temperature. Maintaining temperature this way would turn out to be a pain in the a$$. O.K., scrap PWM and build a temperature controller with a PID (proportional–integral–derivative controller). PERFECT!!! Set it and forget it!!!!
This setup may have been used a few times in the past. You know, as his personal "science project" or maybe recently to make hand sanitizer. Total square footage to operate would have been reduced to about 20 square feet. The fire hazard was eliminated and it could be set up in a small kitchen.
This guy, he said it would be much cheaper to just stop by Spec's. :beer1:

That "guy" and I could be really really good friends!  :rocknroll2:

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 04:31:57 PM »
I just make sure I do things right the first time and no need to mess with it down the road.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 04:39:34 PM »
I just make sure I do things right the first time and no need to mess with it down the road.

This about doing it right the first time, but realizing later that other ways or features might be better suited to your specific needs, or doing an upgrade later on.

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 05:14:55 PM »

This about doing it right the first time, but realizing later that other ways or features might be better suited to your specific needs, or doing an upgrade later on.

Yeah I know what you are saying but that's the way I am as I don't like to do things over.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 08:13:55 PM »
Yep,Many of us have the PBD gene bred into us. There's not much that I don't try to improve the looks or operation of.
Today,It's easy to make or modify things just by looking on Youtube. It's just not as satisfying as it was back in the 70's - 80's when you just had to learn it by doing it on your own.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 04:12:47 PM »
Yep,Many of us have the PBD gene bred into us. There's not much that I don't try to improve the looks or operation of.
Today,It's easy to make or modify things just by looking on Youtube. It's just not as satisfying as it was back in the 70's - 80's when you just had to learn it by doing it on your own.

I definitely have the PBD gene! Sometimes for me, I like to just learn how to do things, or want things a certain way. Amd sometimes, it's because I'm a tightwad with money, that I refuse to pay someone to do something I can do for myself. That's money I can use for something more important later on.