Author Topic: I took the plunge and ordered a Rossi R92 rifle in .357  (Read 474 times)

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
I took the plunge and ordered a Rossi R92 rifle in .357
« on: May 09, 2020, 08:45:09 PM »
I've been looking for a Model 92 clone for a couple of years.  Rossi has the least expensive and I've read where over time, their manufacturing has gotten better.  So, I found one and bought it.  But my timing sucks; "due to COVID 19 shipping times are 20 to 30 days after purchase".  That was a bummer.  But if it keeps one employee from getting sick, so be it.

I have a Uberti clone of the Model 1873 in .357, but I had it set up for cowboy action shooting with .38spls when I did that type of competition back in Virginia.  At $1,100 new with action work, I don't shoot it for fun anymore.  Also I'm too old and in less that great health to be competitive and it's a long drive to the nearest club from here (funny, I thought Austin would be full of SASS clubs when I decided to retire here to be with family, but no it's too liberal apparently).  So, that '73 sits in retirement waiting for me to cross the river Jordan when it'll go to my youngest daughter. 

Anyway, I've seen a bunch of videos on how to make the Rossi run better, but I'll wait until I can finally shoot it.  I'm going to try some .357s but will probably shoot the 1,000 or so cowboy loads I have left thought it along with some .38 +Ps just so I can get the "kick" of it.

If anyone knows of a good '92 smith in Austin, let me know.  I probably won't get any work done until winter anyway.

Thanks for listening.
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline PEMDAS

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
Re: I took the plunge and ordered a Rossi R92 rifle in .357
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 10:19:02 PM »
Enjoy!!

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 10:46:31 PM »
I don't know where you bought your Rossi but at the end of March, when I bought my Ruger PC, Bud's told me there would be a 10 - 20 day delay in shipping. Had it in hand five days later.

I've only shot a few Rossi's in my life but by far the one I had the most fun shooting was a 20 inch 12ga double barrel coach gun with exposed hammers. I actually went quail hunting with it a few times and did very well.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
I took the plunge and ordered a Rossi R92 rifle in .357
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 01:20:52 AM »
I had 3 lever action model 94 3030s and still have 2. Dads 1955 and Grandpas 1934 models. Traded one from the 80s I had bought yrs ago from a friend in need for 50.00 and a 6mm I inherited from my BIL for a Ruger 77 357 BA rifle. Picked it up enf of Jan out of pocket cost was right at 2 bills. Love the thing funas can ve to shoot.
Slapped this little scope an it and its a tack driver.

Enjoy your Rossi 357 in a long gun is a good round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AdioSS

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 03:15:57 AM »
I like my Rossi 92 in 357. I did a little work to clean up the action & to reduce some of the sharp edges a bit. One of the biggest improvements I did was cutting the mag tube spring a little. It was under a lot of pressure that made loading difficult.

Mine is a stainless 16 inch. I didn’t care for the look of the wood when I got it.

I dyed the wood black with a hint of blue that you can only see in certain light.

Later I also replaced the rear buckhorn sight with a Weaver rail & put on a cheap red dot.
Cheston

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 08:27:32 PM »
It looks like I spoke too soon.  I just got an e-mail from the seller and refund on my credit card.  Appears they sold more than they had so cancelled my order. 

I guess I'll go back to looking.  Sooner or later I'll find one at a price I want to pay.

Thanks for all the inputs though.  Always nice to share experiences.

I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 09:01:03 PM »
 :th_holy-sheep: That sucks. At least there wasn't a hassle getting your money back. What's amazing to me is that someone was working on a Sunday' Most on line firearm stores only staff Mon-Fri.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 05:49:05 AM »
Have you looked at
Sportsmansoutdooesuperstore.com
Also after looking for my Ruger77 on line and striking out I found it in a local GS here in SATX.
Ya just never know.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »
One of these days, I'd like to have a lever action in 44 Mag. to go with my revolver. I ran across a Marlin Model 1895 in 44 Mag. a few years ago, and should have bought it when I had the chance.

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 08:30:42 AM »
One of these days, I'd like to have a lever action in 44 Mag. to go with my revolver. I ran across a Marlin Model 1895 in 44 Mag. a few years ago, and should have bought it when I had the chance.
Well whip out that wallet son
In stock.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
In stock.

Let me borrow yours for a while! Mine is taking a beating right now doing some house repairs!  :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 01:57:29 PM »
In stock.

Let me borrow yours for a while! Mine is taking a beating right now doing some house repairs!  :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:
Sorry brother.
Just ordered 500 worth of ammo
Mostly 762x39.
Reload most handgun calibers I shoot.
Cant reload the steel 762 cases and at close to $30 a box of 20 for brass case stuff Ill just shoot that.
Commie guns love it anyway.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
Buy the Beretta in that photo :P