Author Topic: Gun sales amid coronavirus pandemic spike 71% in April  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Gun sales amid coronavirus pandemic spike 71% in April
« on: May 05, 2020, 11:22:14 AM »

Gun sales in April spiked by more than 70 percent from the previous year, with the purchase of more than 1.7 million firearms as concerns related to the novel coronavirus continued, recently released statistics show.

An estimated 1,797,910 guns were sold in April 2020 a 71.3 percent increase from April 2019. March saw an even higher surge in sales, with 2,583,238 firearms sold or 85.3 percent more than the previous year, according to data released late Monday by Small Arms Analytics and Forecasting.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/gun-sales-coronavirus-spiked-april

Online DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Re: Gun sales amid coronavirus pandemic spike 71% in April
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 11:45:48 AM »
I was in a gun shop the same week the stimulus checks went out. Doing my bro a favor.

Short story long,, my younger brother had shot my CZ 75 D pcr,  several times at camp and wanted one bad. It was his birthday present from his wife. We found the only one in Pa , I think, at a shop about 40 miles away. ( FYI, NO THIS WASNT STIMULUS MONEY, THEY MAKE WAY TO MUCH $$$. A couple years ago she bought him a Winchester mod 70, 300 ultra mag for his birthday.  :th_thicon_idea:)

Anyway, That place was jam packed.  We were in  mask and gloves the whole time. And that was before any mandates too.

I verified that CZ was  a PCR, since the phone call didnt seem to know, what specs actually makes a PCR, and then waited outside.  He was only about 15 minutes. I happened to know one of the salesman, since he worked at my local lgs for about 25 years. So that got us expedited out of there. When Sam sees me, he knows I'm there to buy, not look. So he came right over.

Funny thing was,, some HUGE  300 lb  woman, bought a barrett .50. Cal.

Everyone else seemed to be after the cheapest ARs they could get.

Oddly enough, most people were dressed really raggy. So, I assumed,  alot of stimulus checks went to the lgs.
And that's their business, not mine. That helps the economy too.  :P better the lgs than Walmart on a xbox  I guess.  :th_thicon_lol:

I didnt buy anything,,although, if they would have had another PCR, I may have bit.

CZ is supposedly shut down,, so finding CZ stuff is probably going to be pretty rough for a while.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 02:17:47 PM »
I'm sure that since the GF riots started - gun sales have increased even more, likely sky-rocketed.  I recently saw some video footage near Austin, TX where BLM protesters had road blocked one of the highways into town backing up traffic for miles.  Some tall caucasian skinny guy gets out to kindly ask one of the BLM gentleman if he could kindly please pass, and even tells the peaceful protester he believes in their "cause".  Then without warning, the BLM guy just punches the dude so hard his glasses go flying and then he's on his knees looking for them.  So what does the BLM protester do? Walks over and punches him upside the head again and then walks away.  Meanwhile, people on the side of road are chanting and cheering and telling Mr. protester how great he is.  I decided right then and there I'm keeping either my Beretta .380 Cheetah or Walther P88 9mm with me at all times, lest I ever encounter some of these BLM "peaceful protesters" while driving down our Texas highways. 
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Thomas Jefferson Papers p. 334, 1950)

Online Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 08:21:49 PM »
I'm sure that since the GF riots started - gun sales have increased even more, likely sky-rocketed.  I recently saw some video footage near Austin, TX where BLM protesters had road blocked one of the highways into town backing up traffic for miles.  Some tall caucasian skinny guy gets out to kindly ask one of the BLM gentleman if he could kindly please pass, and even tells the peaceful protester he believes in their "cause".  Then without warning, the BLM guy just punches the dude so hard his glasses go flying and then he's on his knees looking for them.  So what does the BLM protester do? Walks over and punches him upside the head again and then walks away.  Meanwhile, people on the side of road are chanting and cheering and telling Mr. protester how great he is.  I decided right then and there I'm keeping either my Beretta .380 Cheetah or Walther P88 9mm with me at all times, lest I ever encounter some of these BLM "peaceful protesters" while driving down our Texas highways.
They would of needed a body bag for mr protester had that been me.

Soon as he swung game on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 08:26:19 PM »
I hate to hear that crap. Getting out of your vehicle to attempt to reason with a group that is clearly agitated was really a stupid move. Remember along with having a license to carry a firearm there comes a lot of responsibility. Avoiding confrontation is the number one rule. Walk away if need be. It doesn't matter what others may think of you.

Then again if it's game on you do what you have to do to keep you and your family safe.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 01:39:01 AM »
I hate to hear that crap. Getting out of your vehicle to attempt to reason with a group that is clearly agitated was really a stupid move. Remember along with having a license to carry a firearm there comes a lot of responsibility. Avoiding confrontation is the number one rule. Walk away if need be. It doesn't matter what others may think of you.

Then again if it's game on you do what you have to do to keep you and your family safe.

True dat.

Online DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »
Agreed.

Dont go looking, but you dont have to run either.
Alot of older folks cant run  anyway,  for various reasons.

YOU are the only one that has to answer for YOU being forced into shooting some dumbass.

So make sure you are In  the right.  :thumbsup1:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 05:13:16 PM »
I expect the real stimulus was not the virus as much as anarchist stimulating homeowners to invest in defensive measures. 

Offline Billy Gruber

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 02:27:18 PM »

True dat.

Totally agree...I got that message loud and clear during my LTC training in that the response must always be "proportional" and never excessive.  Requires a lot, lot of responsibility and self discipline. 

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Thomas Jefferson Papers p. 334, 1950)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 04:03:07 PM »

I have gotten to the point, from what I have been seeing on various news feeds, and videos, these people can't be reasoned with, even if you agree with their "cause". I have decided, they are not even worth of being called human beings anymore. They are even worth less than species from the animal kingdom as well. Even wild animals don't behave in such a manner.

They hate this country. They hate those that disagree with them. They have no focus and not plan, other than anarchy, chaos and overall destruction of everything they can get their hands on.

Online TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 06:23:57 PM »
Im doing my part to support the economy :)
And filling the void between 25 & 100 yards.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 01:14:42 AM »

..... And yet, meanwhile:

Remington Gun-Maker Files For Bankruptcy Protection For 2nd Time Since 2018

The Remington Arms Co. has filed for bankruptcy protection in federal court in Alabama as it seeks to restructure for the second time since 2018 amid ongoing legal and financial challenges.

The 204-year-old U.S. gun-maker, among the best-known brands of firearms, filed for Chapter 11 protection Monday at a time when heightened anxieties linked to the coronavirus pandemic, a slowing economy and ongoing national protests following George Floyd's killing have led to record-high U.S. gun sales.

In fact, the FBI reported in June it conducted 3.9 million firearm background checks, a proxy for gun sales. That eclipsed the previous record in March of 3.7 million criminal checks to see if a gun could be legally possessed or purchased.

[ . . . . ]

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/28/896160169/remington-gun-maker-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-for-2nd-time-since-2018

.... As others have said before, in this critical time it's especially unfortunate for any gun company to close, let alone one this large and well established, as we need every dog in this fight.

However, in as long as I've been into guns, even just their ammo has usually run $2-$4 more expensive for no reason over other domestic brands, even practice grade ammo, which is pointless considering it's not any better in any meaningful way.

They can't continue to rely on sales of the 870 to carry them forever; there has always been a large glut of other serviceable shotgun manufacturers out there.

As they say, Remington better really figure out how to un-f*** itself ASAP before capitalism runs its course.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 05:04:48 AM by Gilgondorin »

Online Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 05:50:36 AM »

The Remington Arms Co. has filed for bankruptcy protection in federal court in Alabama as it seeks to restructure for the second time since 2018 amid ongoing legal and financial challenges.

The 204-year-old U.S. gun-maker, among the best-known brands of firearms, filed for Chapter 11 protection Monday at a time when heightened anxieties linked to the coronavirus pandemic, a slowing economy and ongoing national protests following George Floyd's killing have led to record-high U.S. gun sales.

In fact, the FBI reported in June it conducted 3.9 million firearm background checks, a proxy for gun sales. That eclipsed the previous record in March of 3.7 million criminal checks to see if a gun could be legally possessed or purchased.

[ . . . . ]

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/28/896160169/remington-gun-maker-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-for-2nd-time-since-2018

.... As others have said before, in this critical time it's especially unfortunate for any gun company to close, let alone one this large and well established, as we need every dog in this fight.

However, in as long as I've been into guns, even just their ammo has usually run $2-$4 more expensive for no reason over other domestic brands, even practice grade ammo, which is pointless considering it's not any better in any meaningful way.

They can't continue to rely on sales of the 870 to carry them forever; there has always been a large glut of other serviceable shotgun manufacturers out there.

As they say, Remington better really figure out how to un-f*** itself ASAP before capitalism runs its course.
Sadly I cant think of a single Remington Product I have a want for.
Nothing.
To stay in business you have to stay competitive and produce a product people need and or want.
They IMO did/do neither.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 08:39:45 AM »

[ . . . . ]

Nothing.
To stay in business you have to stay competitive and produce a product people need and or want.
They IMO did/do neither.

When Remington was bought out some years ago by Cerebrus, all they cared about were profits, with expending the least amount of money to gain them. Quality started slipping badly and things went to hell and a handbasket. Remington was run into the ground for the sake of profits. I haven't bought a new Remington gun in at least ten years. I'll probably never ever buy a new Remington gun again.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 08:48:33 AM »

[ . . . . ]

Nothing.
They IMO did/do neither.

When Remington was bought out some years ago by Cerebrus, all they cared about were profits, with expending the least amount of money to gain them. Quality started slipping badly and things went to hell and a handbasket. Remington was run into the ground for the sake of profits. I haven't bought a new Remington gun in at least ten years. I'll probably never ever buy a new Remington gun again.

Sho nuff!

Online DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 09:34:01 AM »
Remington wasnt the only one to go to crap.

I ordered  5 ruger Blackhawks (NM 357/9 convertible 6. 5 ' bbl ) before I finally got one that I accepted. The machine burrs were horrible. 2 also had the cylinders so out of time, They felt like they were full of sand.

The one I finally accepted had blueing scratch issues, but otherwise is fine, so i took it and fixed it.

2 ruger autos were both sent back. They were so f ed up that ruger  refunded my money.
The one had the front sight dovetail milled on  the slide on a 45 angle.  :facepalm:

Ruger must fired all their quality control and skilled machinist. 

I have not looked at a new ruger since.
So much for their 1 million gun challenge. :bangheadonwall:

Online Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 01:59:00 PM »
Remington wasnt the only one to go to crap.

I ordered  5 ruger Blackhawks (NM 357/9 convertible 6. 5 ' bbl ) before I finally got one that I accepted. The machine burrs were horrible. 2 also had the cylinders so out of time, They felt like they were full of sand.

The one I finally accepted had blueing scratch issues, but otherwise is fine, so i took it and fixed it.

2 ruger autos were both sent back. They were so f ed up that ruger  refunded my money.
The one had the front sight dovetail milled on  the slide on a 45 angle.  :facepalm:

Ruger must fired all their quality control and skilled machinist. 

I have not looked at a new ruger since.
So much for their 1 million gun challenge. :bangheadonwall:
See I bought a new Ruger model 77 BA in 357 in Jan. Then 3 spare mags (oem) a couple months ago. No issues with quality on rifle or mags.

Only Ruger hand gun interests menis a Blackhawk and at that only one of the early ones at that.