Author Topic: Off the Cuff Random Stuff, That Just Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!  (Read 4466 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: Off the Cuff Random Stuff, That Just Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2020, 03:50:46 AM »
I picked up an old 2hp electric motor from over at my father's barn the other day. Got it cleaned up and wired up a power cord and it works great.

Going to use it to build a 2x72 belt sander. Got another electric motor that I plan on using for building a band saw.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2020, 12:55:05 PM »
Had to do some inside plumbing today. Replaced the kitchen sink faucet this morning. Going to replace the toilet guts this afternoon.

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2020, 06:43:26 AM »
Scrounged myself 26 8ft oak 2x4 last night for FREE.

An AC duct fab company down the street from my office always has big ol ugly shipping crates basically pallets and the 2x4s nailed together. They said take all you want when you want so I have started collecting some.

Store out on the land for future who knows what. I cant pass an opportunity for free materials when I have storage space for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2020, 06:47:13 AM »

An AC duct fab company down the street from my office always has big ol ugly shipping crates basically pallets and the 2x4s nailed together. They said take all you want when you want so I have started collecting some.

Store out on the land for future who knows what. I cant pass an opportunity for free materials when I have storage space for it.

Some of those pallets are made with some really good wood. They are already for the most part pretty well seasoned, and you can make some really cool stuff with the wood.

Those cheap pallets are what I liked to use for target holders at the house. When they ended up shot up enough to no longer be useful, I'd throw them on the brush pile.

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2020, 04:46:36 PM »

Some of those pallets are made with some really good wood. They are already for the most part pretty well seasoned, and you can make some really cool stuff with the wood.

Those cheap pallets are what I liked to use for target holders at the house. When they ended up shot up enough to no longer be useful, I'd throw them on the brush pile.
Yes these pallets were solid oak nice wide straight slats.
I only gathered 2x4s I can get pallets at my office and I have like 25 in a pile on land.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »
Earlier this month I tested positive for COVID-19. Yesterday I tested negative, so the doctor said it's back to business as usual for me.

I hope I don't catch it a second time; I've heard it said that catching it again is far more likely to be a death sentence than just catching it once -- something about your body can't or won't mount as strong an immune response the second time around because of the way the virus behaves.

It's been one hell of a crazy year so far.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2020, 04:49:16 PM »
Earlier this month I tested positive for COVID-19. Yesterday I tested negative, so the doctor said it's back to business as usual for me.

I hope I don't catch it a second time; I've heard it said that catching it again is far more likely to be a death sentence than just catching it once -- something about your body can't or won't mount as strong an immune response the second time around because of the way the virus behaves.

Glad to hear you recovered

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2020, 05:02:23 PM »

It's great to hear you are doing good . :th_thicon_idea:
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2020, 06:40:02 PM »

It's great to hear you are doing good . :th_thicon_idea:
Best wishes sir.
Glad you were not among the .01% they keep blabbing on about.

Stay safe.

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
Off the Cuff Random Stuff, That Just Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2020, 06:43:13 PM »
31 fairly decent free 2x4s and a sheet n 1/2 of osb.

There is an A/C duct mfg co close to my office. Was told to take all you want just dont leave a mess. So I obliged them the other day.
Scored this and cleaned all the nails out today.

I will be gathering all I can for future use on the Donderosa.

Free is the best lumber price I know.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »
It's great to hear you are doing good
Best wishes sir.

Thank you all for the kind words; they mean a lot.

Fortunately for me, the worst of the symptoms were over in about a week. Even then, sometimes I didn't feel sick at all; other times, I did feel sick, but not as sick as I've gotten in the past from regular colds and flu's I've caught before. The dry cough which was the only persistent symptom, and at times it could get annoying... One morning, I thought I might wind up with washboard abs that night from the repeated muscle contractions caused by coughing so much.

Overall, the way the sickness behaved itself was almost surreal; it was as if the virus was giving me my symptoms in allotments. One day, I'd experience two or three 5-minute bouts of shortness of breath, and some full body fatigue. The next, a very light hangover-style headache that mostly just made the back of my eyes hurt, and some of the abdominal pain (caused by the coughing, which was particularly bad that morning). The day after, one or two bouts of nausea, and some heaviness in the chest. The next day, a ration of fever and chills, in 1-2 hour increments. On the final day, one more more 5-minute bout of shortness of breath, coupled with joint aches (in only my right knee of all things), and some general fatigue.

One thing that struck me as odd was that seemingly nothing ever came of the supposed contact tracing we're budgeting so much government funding towards. Because of the obvious risk of exposure, I didn't seriously expect them to send anybody to my house to conduct an in-person interview as they apparently tried to do in New York -- that would be stupid and needlessly dangerous for all involved. However, nobody at the clinic where I tested positive said anything to me about any procedures for following up with the CDC, the state, or even the metro health department. That I'm aware of, I still haven't received any letters in the mail, calls, texts, voicemails, or emails with links to some place I could respond electronically either, like we did with the Census.

I'd read that the city had experienced some problems with people ignoring them due to their phone numbers looking like spam-bot calls (which I do get tons of), but, I'd ALSO heard they had gotten their call center's phone number changed so that it said "SA Metro Health Department" on incoming caller ID specifically to combat that problem. I watched and waited, and nothing.

We'll see what happens moving forward; the wheels of Government bureaucracy turn slow -- maybe I might wake up three years from now and find a sign staked in my front yard saying 'DANGER, KEEP AWAY - RESIDENT HAS TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19!!!'

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2020, 11:16:33 PM »
It's great to hear you are doing good
Best wishes sir.

Thank you all for the kind words; they mean a lot.

Fortunately for me, the worst of the symptoms were over in about a week. Even then, sometimes I didn't feel sick at all; other times, I did feel sick, but not as sick as I've gotten in the past from regular colds and flu's I've caught before. The dry cough which was the only persistent symptom, and at times it could get annoying... One morning, I thought I might wind up with washboard abs that night from the repeated muscle contractions caused by coughing so much.

Overall, the way the sickness behaved itself was almost surreal; it was as if the virus was giving me my symptoms in allotments. One day, I'd experience two or three 5-minute bouts of shortness of breath, and some full body fatigue. The next, a very light hangover-style headache that mostly just made the back of my eyes hurt, and some of the abdominal pain (caused by the coughing, which was particularly bad that morning). The day after, one or two bouts of nausea, and some heaviness in the chest. The next day, a ration of fever and chills, in 1-2 hour increments. On the final day, one more more 5-minute bout of shortness of breath, coupled with joint aches (in only my right knee of all things), and some general fatigue.

One thing that struck me as odd was that seemingly nothing ever came of the supposed contact tracing we're budgeting so much government funding towards. Because of the obvious risk of exposure, I didn't seriously expect them to send anybody to my house to conduct an in-person interview as they apparently tried to do in New York -- that would be stupid and needlessly dangerous for all involved. However, nobody at the clinic where I tested positive said anything to me about any procedures for following up with the CDC, the state, or even the metro health department. That I'm aware of, I still haven't received any letters in the mail, calls, texts, voicemails, or emails with links to some place I could respond electronically either, like we did with the Census.

I'd read that the city had experienced some problems with people ignoring them due to their phone numbers looking like spam-bot calls (which I do get tons of), but, I'd ALSO heard they had gotten their call center's phone number changed so that it said "SA Metro Health Department" on incoming caller ID specifically to combat that problem. I watched and waited, and nothing.

We'll see what happens moving forward; the wheels of Government bureaucracy turn slow -- maybe I might wake up three years from now and find a sign staked in my front yard saying 'DANGER, KEEP AWAY - RESIDENT HAS TESTED POSITIVE FOR COVID-19!!!'
As far as your not being contacted etc.
Makes one seriously wonder about all the statistics every night and day on the local news here in SA.

Also was reading news about these so called protesters in iorc Portland.
Story stated “thousands of protesters stood shoulder to shoulder shouting and chanting”. Sure am glad CV19 is respectful of peoples right to protest.
Too bad its not the same for church school bars must be it only respects BLM supporters.

Hmmmmm

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »
Ahaaaaaaaa, Gilgondorin wins.

So I first tested positive like 2 weeks ago, and I just barely got a call from somebody with the Metro Health District a few minutes ago in regards to the contact tracing thing I mentioned never having gotten until now.

No, he said he didn't know specifically why nobody's called me except for weeks after the fact. He mentioned the testing authority I went to may have just barely delivered a backlog of case results to them this morning.

With that level of ground-up (dis)organization going on, it's no wonder nobody has much of an idea of what's really happening. :th_thicon_lol:

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2020, 04:41:37 PM »
Smoke and mirrors

Dont mind the man behind the curtain.

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2020, 04:48:31 PM »
Ahaaaaaaaa, Gilgondorin wins.

So I first tested positive like 2 weeks ago, and I just barely got a call from somebody with the Metro Health District a few minutes ago in regards to the contact tracing thing I mentioned never having gotten until now.

No, he said he didn't know specifically why nobody's called me except for weeks after the fact. He mentioned the testing authority I went to may have just barely delivered a backlog of case results to them this morning.

With that level of ground-up (dis)organization going on, it's no wonder nobody has much of an idea of what's really happening. :th_thicon_lol:

Here have a good chuckle at this
article on Contact tracing in SA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/07/27/how-contact-tracing-works-in-san-antonio/%3foutputType=amp

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2020, 04:58:23 PM »
Smoke and mirrors

Dont mind the man behind the curtain.

I'm the Wizard of Oz!  :wave1: :rocknroll2: :th_thicon_lol:

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2020, 08:39:25 AM »
Almost thought I had another water leak yesterday evening. Luckily it was a major break up the road and not ours! Water was cut off for about three hours while they did repairs. Wheeew!  :thumbsup1:

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2020, 03:49:18 PM »
Well it turns out, I did have a small water leak on the water line to the house. Luckily it was in sandy soil and not a lot of roots to chop through so it didn't take too long to locate the leak. While I was doing the repair, O went ahead and added a faucet there, and raised another one since the water was shut off.

Repairs seem to be working, and I'm pretty much done for the day now! Cheers to all!  :rocknroll2:

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2020, 05:47:30 AM »
Picked up another 18 boards yesterday after work

Need to clean up remove nails is all.

Add to the collection pile.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2020, 02:09:56 PM »
Well, I have one little leak, or dribble on the new faucet! Put pipe dope on the threads before attaching the faucet, and it's dribbling water. Can't find one single roll of pipe tape at all. I know if I go buy a roll, that all of  a sudden those missing rolls will appear!  :bangheadonwall: