Author Topic: Grocery workers increasingly fear showing up at work  (Read 478 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Grocery workers increasingly fear showing up at work
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
Grocery workers increasingly fear showing up at work

Next to health-care providers, no workforce has proved more essential during the novel coronavirus pandemic than the 3 million U.S. grocery store employees who restock shelves and freezers, fill online orders and keep checkout lines moving. Although the public health guidelines are clear - steer clear of others - these workers are putting in longer shifts and taking on bigger workloads. Many report being stressed and scared, especially as their colleagues fall ill to covid-19, the highly contagious disease responsible for more than 20,000 deaths in the U.S. alone.

Some liken their job to working in a war zone, knowing that the simple act of showing up to work could ultimately kill them. At least 41 supermarket employees have died - including a Trader Joe's worker in New York, a Safeway employee in Chicago, two Walmart associates near Chicago, and four Kroger employees in Michigan. Thousands more have tested positive for the virus.

https://www.chron.com/business/article/Grocery-workers-increasingly-fear-showing-up-at-15195858.php

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Grocery workers increasingly fear showing up at work
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:22:24 AM »
I am glad I don't work in a grocery store. If any forum members here does, thoughts and prayers for you guys!

Offline RaySendero

• Doesn't Run Downrange
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:49:45 AM »
Good article to spread more fear too grocery workers.
Ray

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 02:08:57 PM »
Good article to spread more fear too grocery workers.
You got that right.
Not sure how much is real and how much is media embellishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 08:53:03 AM »
Goldfish bowls (a single large 2'x4' clear acrylic divider sheet) have started showing up at the locations around here. Some employees are wearing masks and plastic gloves. They've erected plastic 'CAUTION'-tape barriers around the anti-vehicle posts, some bike rack-style security fences to help channel foot traffic for when people are waiting for the store to open in the mornings, strips of tape on the floor 6' apart outside the entrances/check-out lines, and they now require people to go in only one way and come out in the opposite direction. You can't enter through the garden center anymore, either.

At least one person is semi-permanently stationed at each entrance, wiping down all the shopping cart handles. The most recent change is they now have teams of two communicating by radio and using tablet computers, that track and monitor how many people are inside the store at any one time; any more than ___ people inside, and you have to wait until somebody leaves before you're allowed to go in. So far though, I haven't been turned away at the door yet any of the times I've gone, even temporarily, so I guess the number of people must be relatively high (more than 56 at least, last I saw).

The store I go to seems to be pro-active about this whole thing. I don't think there's AS MUCH of a concern among the employees, being that San Antonio is mostly trying to behave itself (as opposed to, say, New Orleans, or New York) and my particular store I visit frequently is large and well-funded, but they do still seem to be a little nervous.

Offline riattta

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 10:09:42 AM »
yes nice fear mongering by the Chronicle.  I think they need to be concered with the workers more than customers.  IF you are sick stay home dammit