Author Topic: Cheaper Than Dirt! Hit With Dozens Of Price Gouging Complaints From Customers  (Read 469 times)

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/04/03/north-texas-gun-seller-cheaper-than-dirt-dozens-complaints-price-gouging/

Dozens of customers have filed complaints about Cheaper Than Dirt, an online firearm and ammunition seller based in Fort Worth.

“I was looking at getting about a thousand rounds of their .223 ammo, which is normally around $300, but their price was $1,000,” said Kyle Wiggs, who filed a price gouging complaint.

Customers noted several listings doubled in price last month. Certain items jumped from $26 to $52 and even from $470 to $900.

[ . . . . ]

Price gouging laws kick in during a state of emergency to prevent excessive pricing of fuel, food, medicine lodging, building materials, construction tools or other necessities.

But are firearms and ammunition considered necessities? We asked Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton.

“It’s always a question, but I could argue that guns and ammo would be part of that price gouging,” Paxton said.

But in the same interview, Paxton said the issue is also open to “interpretation,” despite the fact that he is in charge of that interpretation as the state’s chief legal officer.

“Every case has its own facts and we, there is some discretion as to figuring out whether we believe it is really price gouging or just normal markets,” Paxton said.

Open to interpretation my ass. It's price gouging, pure and simple.

I hoped and prayed this day would come, and at long last it seemed as though the chance for them to get their comeuppance had finally arrived.... Or so we thought.

If this Paxton character doesn't draw and quarter them, he should be recalled and replaced by somebody else who will.

Down with Dumber than Dirt!

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
I have read past claims that they have jacked up the price in the past too

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Maybe “the interpretation” is based by the size of the political contribution to the Paxton campaign by the three co-owners of Cheaper than Dirt?

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
It will be a slippery slope and difficult to prosecute. It's not like charging $10 dollars for a gallon of milk or jar of baby food.They escaped it previously during the last BS ammo scare seven years ago so obviously they are not worried about it now. There was not a national emergency then so this may play out differently. A lot of talk on various forums back then but nothing happened other than losing a few customers. Last time they cancelled orders then jacked up prices.

I'm with you though. These guys are scum. They rely on new firearm buyers naivete and others in panic mode. I visit a few other firearm forums and the talk started a couple of weeks ago about these guys. They jacked up prices on a 40 count box of Tul steel case ammo from $7 to $30. When they were called on it they lowered it to $26 now it's $15.

I've been hot and cold AG Paxton. He gets a lot of face time on TV but he is kind of a maverick and from what I understand he is not well thought of by fellow conservatives which could be a good thing. If he can get Lt. Gov. Patrick out of the way he will take a shot at the governors mansion. That's just my opinion.

Remember that prosecution and subsequent trials cost $$$$ and prosecuting something like this is far from certain of receiving a guilty verdict. Being called on wasting tax payers money is never a good thing during an election.

I guess the best thing to do is get the word out. These jerks losing customers and touching their pocket is the only thing that will get their attention. Something tells me that they aren't to concerned.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
They still around. Hum haven’t bothered with them since 07/08 and I had only purchased from them on occasion prior too that.

Dont even give them the joy of my visiting there site.

There is NO ammo shortage.

There is a shortage of brains among some gun owners (mainly newbs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
I still get ad's from even tho I havn't bought anything from them for maybe 15 years.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
I still get ad's from even tho I havn't bought anything from them for maybe 15 years.
They heard you were the big spender 308!

Offline cporfe

• Military
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
I haven't purchased a thing from them since the last price gouging round when they wanted upwards of $100 for a bulk pack of .22LR.  They claimed they were anticipating the replacement cost.  Which in the end was just plain BS.  They continue to prey on panic and the weak.
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline PEMDAS

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
Remember their reaction after Sandy Hook, where they actually canceled existing orders before raising their prices, so those customers could not get what they ordered for the previous price. That definitely deserves a lawsuit.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
I hope CTD goes under!