Author Topic: Snakes Are Already Out!  (Read 561 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Snakes Are Already Out!
« on: March 23, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »
Please be careful outside. The snakes seem to be out early with spring coming early and warmer weather.

I killed two copperheads, and a water moccasin last week, and saw another water moccasin as well, and very close to the house. One of our smaller puppies was also bit on the leg last week.

I have a feeling with all the rain over the last six months or so, snakes are going to be bad this spring and summer.

Offline PEMDAS

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Snakes Are Already Out!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »
Picked up some CCI shot shells for the 686 today for this very reason

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 07:48:56 AM »
saw our 2nd shoulderless critter while weedeating 2 days ago but dispatched it with the weedeater as it was just a youngster (about a foot long)

I do now carry my Bond Arms "Snake Slayer" on my hip when working outside - have 2 barrels for it.....a .357mag/.38spec and the one that I'm using now - the .410ga/.45 Long Colt - have it loaded with 20 pellet .410ga shells

me no likie snakes

file upload cc شرح
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 08:01:53 AM »
How is the recoil on the Bond Arms?

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »
I've shot everything but the .45 Long Colt thru it (.410, .357mag, .38spec) and tho I wouldn't want to spend an entire range shooting it - the recoil isn't bad
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Perchowski

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 10:21:22 PM »
Yeah, few weeks ago saw a garter snake at bibi & mini me dog park.. what kind of poisonous snakes does Houston area have?  Heard theres coral snakes, rattlesnakes, and I believe someone said cottonmouths? Anybody know of/seen any other types of venomous snakes near Houston?

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 11:15:50 PM »
Copperheads are the most prevalent venomous snake east of Interstate 35 and they come with a nasty disposition. Texas has something like 8 different species of rattlesnake and can be found all over the state. Growing up in the scrub hills just north of Austin I came across plenty of rattlesnakes. One of the best fights I ever witnessed as a kid was between a Diamondback and a Speckled King snake. I don't know how long they were going at it when I came across them. They gave up after a couple hours and went their separate ways.  Never saw a copperhead until I moved to Brazos county and maybe three rattlesnakes in that time.

I live by a creek so I see snakes all the time. Mostly watersnakes and ratsnakes but the occasional moccasin. I usually don't see copperheads until summer temps heat things up and usually in the evening after they have charged their battery's all day. I have never seen a coral snake. Two ratsnakes so far this year.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 08:01:15 PM »
Alte, right now with all the rain from the past several months, you would think I live on a swamp!

Lots of copperheads and water moccasins. The copperheads usually don't get too big, bit the water moccasins get fast and nasty around here!

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »
Yes they are.
Ran Over this lil guy last evening with the tractor on way back up private road from the lower end of the property.

Right front of same tree I killed another one under last summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 11:22:50 AM »
Evenings is game time for copperheads. After soaking up the heat all day they are ready the hunt. Not unusual for one to slither up a tree to eat cicadas and large grasshoppers.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 03:00:25 PM »
Shield, that's a decent sized copperhead. They don't usually get that large around here.

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 05:57:43 AM »
Shield, that's a decent sized copperhead. They don't usually get that large around here.
Glad I could assist him in his departure.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 01:14:29 PM »
Glad I could assist him in his departure.

I would have most assuredly "assisted" in his departure!  :th_thicon_lol: