Author Topic: ..Kel-Tec PMR-30..  (Read 315 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
..Kel-Tec PMR-30..
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:23:39 AM »
..experience with - have shot - opinion ?..
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Re: ..Kel-Tec PMR-30..
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 08:07:41 AM »
 Common knowledge known,,, 

1. Its a cheap pistol made by a cheap manufacturer. You get what you pay for.

2.Early models had troubles and wouldnt run.

3. Later models had the bugs better worked out.

4. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT year mfg YOUR GETTING.

5. A  22 mag auto is a great idea , fantastic idea.  Awesome idea,,,  ,22 mag. Is lethal with better penetration that a .38.

But it's extremely loud with a very sharp crack. Ear plugs required.
Ammo cost more than 9mm. And sometimes very hard to find.
On the good side, no recoil to speak of.

There are several very good reasons POPULAR manufacturers dont build them. Because of ammo length, 22 casings Inconsistencies,  and tolerances , They are very hard to make run properly. Much like 357 and 44. Casing  Length causes issues in autos. 
Add in mass produced 22 stamped  ammo,, well,,, ammo brand really matters.

Again,, make sure someone isn't selling you an early jammomatic model.

Some run, some dont.

I cant even think off hand how many 22 mags I have i. Ruger single sixes, rifles. I love the 22 mag. Fast, accurate, awesome penetration, and makes extremely nasty wound channels. It will zip right through most kevlar, and works like a .223/5.56 principal. Very nasty wound channels. And it will drop a perp. I've seen it. I sure as hell wouldnt  want shot with it.
It's a very nasty little bugger.
My wife carrys a ruger lcr 22 mag.

But the22 mag  auto thing,,, is a tricky prospect at best.

Good luck.  :wave1:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 08:36:46 AM »
With there being a run on guns and ammo right now due to all the nonsense panic buying and Corona doom mongering, you're more than likely going to be paying a panic premium for one if you do see it for sale.

If I remember correctly, they were discontinued by the manufacturer after a (relatively) short production run -- because of this scarcity, in as long as I've seen them for sale, they've fairly consistently tended to fetch more (sometimes a lot, sometimes a little) than they did even when they were new.

Finally, I believe they had issues with key-holing rounds which the manufacturer tried to address; they never completely solved the problem, so, as DCD recommended, you're going to have some issues with ammo no matter what unless you buy the really good $$$tuff.

If you could find one relatively cheaply, then I'd say it might be fun to experiment with; in my opinion the neat-factor doesn't outweigh the effort and cost of finding and buying one, though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:09:08 AM by Gilgondorin »

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 09:43:33 AM »
With there being a run on guns and ammo right now due to all the nonsense panic buying and Corona doom mongering, you're more than likely going to be paying a panic premium for one if you do see it for sale.

Yes, I sold a hockey collectible recently to pay for a gun I want to buy - but I suspect it will be quite some time before I can actually get it now....

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 10:27:57 AM »
Finally, I believe they had issues with key-holing rounds which the manufacturer tried to address; they never completely solved the problem,

----------------------

Yes, I read about that problem also. I'm assuming they caused it trying to address feeding and jamming  issues.
 I do know people complained the ones key holding lost all accuracy. Which makes perfect sense.

So ,, somehow,,,, possibly trying to fix one problem,, they caused another.

And I believe they did discontinue it.

I'll give keltec credit for trying it.
But the issues could not be, and were never,  totally solved.

30 rounds of 22 mag in an EDC  auto was a Fantastic idea. I really wish they could have made it work BETTER.

I can't, and wont, carry something that's maybe 90% reliable.

Its 100% , or as close to it as possible, or nothing for me.

When it comes to SD,, Im also a hammer fired metal DA/SA guy. So That's why I will only SD carry a beretta 92 or CZ 75 series.
I prefer to EDC the CZ 75 compact, since carry comfort and ease of concealment matters.

And in PA,  I've never seen a 9mm ammo shortage. There is just too much of it.
The other  thing,, I can shoot a 9mm without ear plugs if I had to for SD.
The 22 mag,, no way. That sonic crack is just ear shattering. My ears will ring for days.

Tango,,  if its just going to be a range toy, the price is right, and you got the $$$ to satisfy a curiosity,  then go for it.

If it's for SD,,,, there are definetely better options.

Good luck. And nice to hear from You.  :wave1:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 12:39:53 PM »
I have had one for five years and the carbine model (CMR 30) for two. They both run flawlessly for me. Kel Tec includes a list of recommended ammo with the sale but mine runs everything.
After 2011 Kel Tec replaced the PMR barrel and the key holing issue was solved but KEL TEC admits it could happen if you use CCI Maxi Mag 40 grain. I have a few boxes of that and about one out of ten has that problem but mine is a plinker not a self defense firearm although I wouldn't hesitate to use it for that purpose.

Pros: 30 round never ending magazine. Fairly lightweight. Accurate out to 50 yards maybe more but that's the max distance I have tried. Rang plate size steel at that distance w/o hitch. Academy, at least my local one, always has .22 Mag in stock. Fiber Optic sights are great but I fitted mine with a Burris Fastfire red dot. It's dang fun gun to shoot. Easy to disassemble and clean.

Cons: The SOB is loud loud. While not really a con it does shoot a flame about a foot out of the barrel. When I go to the range it's the most requested firearm to bring so I'll burn through 200 rounds in a half hour or so. Because of it's lightweight the Burris Fastfire 3 is the only red dot that will work w/o slide not cycling properly. The optic mount is sold separately and only fits the PMR. I bought a Tandemkross for $25. The Burris Fastfire is $230 on Amazon.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »
I've owned two.  The first was a first gen and if I loaded the magazines according to the manufacturer's  instruction, zero failures of any kind.  Yep, nice big fireball.  But I also had a S&W 351PD in .22 Mag and manufacturers had started loading for short barrels.  Result was less fire and more fun.  I let a friend of mine talk me out of it.

I just bought a second one last summer.  And I bought a mag loader.  25 rounds per mag right out the door following the manufacturer's instruction.  Never a keyhole and never a failure.  It loves the short barrelled ammo.  I currently only buy Gold Dot short barrel for my .22 mags and they group better in my S&W 351PD which is more important to me.

Please notice I said "following the manufacturer's instruction".  I've run into several folks at the range who skipped that part and had FTF like crazy.  Duh!

If you get one, it'll be fun.  I don't have any real use except when I get a little more arthritis in my hands and that lower recoil will be welcomed.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 07:02:22 PM »
I've owned two.  The first was a first gen and if I loaded the magazines according to the manufacturer's  instruction, zero failures of any kind.  Yep, nice big fireball.  But I also had a S&W 351PD in .22 Mag and manufacturers had started loading for short barrels.  Result was less fire and more fun.  I let a friend of mine talk me out of it.

I just bought a second one last summer.  And I bought a mag loader.  25 rounds per mag right out the door following the manufacturer's instruction.  Never a keyhole and never a failure.  It loves the short barrelled ammo.  I currently only buy Gold Dot short barrel for my .22 mags and they group better in my S&W 351PD which is more important to me.

Please notice I said "following the manufacturer's instruction".  I've run into several folks at the range who skipped that part and had FTF like crazy.  Duh!

If you get one, it'll be fun.  I don't have any real use except when I get a little more arthritis in my hands and that lower recoil will be welcomed.

Just my 2 cents.

Where are you finding the short barrel Gold Dot? I shot all I had and couldn't find any more. Gave up looking last year.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 07:36:14 PM »
The last I bought (3 boxes) was at Red's North range.  That was last summer.  I already had 5 boxes in my ammo locker.  Haven't looked lately.  With the ammo shortage and gauging going on I doubt anything will be available and reasonably priced right now.
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!