Author Topic: Corona Virus Panic Buying  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Re: Corona Virus Panic Buying
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2020, 05:02:36 PM »
Still no bottled water which makes about as much sense as panic buying toilet paper.

An interesting article on the subject: https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2020/03/the-psychology-behind-panic-buying-and-what-we-can-do-to-resist-it/

Basically it boils down to two things:

1.) By going out and buying stuff -- even things that do nothing to actually help them -- retail therapy allows people who feel like they're at the mercy of a force they can't control, to start feeling like they're regaining some measure of control over their lives and what direction they're heading in by deciding how much to spend, what to buy, how much of it, etc. etc.

2.) It also makes them feel like they're doing something proactive, rather than sitting around waiting to get caught flat-footed. It'd be my guess that most people don't actually know what would be a good idea to stock up on; they're just stocking up on water and toilet paper because that seems like a good idea. Then when the news starts reporting there's shortages, it probably makes everybody else run to go get theirs too since, hell, if the TV says stores selling out of it, then it must be important.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 02:30:08 AM by Gilgondorin »

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2020, 05:03:11 PM »
Toilet paper wont save you from Corona people.  Ok ?  :th_nuts:

Stop it.  :bangheadonwall:

:th_thicon_funny:

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 05:47:45 PM »
Snagged two 50 count boxes of Blazer Brass .38 Special at Academy this afternoon. They were the last two boxes on the shelf compared to none last Sunday. Have plenty of 38 SP+P but because my older Smith's aren't rated for that I won't shoot it.

Noticed they had the anti shoplifting tape on every box of ammo. Plenty of 9 mm but hit and miss on other calibers.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2020, 09:14:44 AM »
Meanwhile, at the Headquarters of all the toilet paper manufacturing companies during the middle of the nation-wide toilet paper panic buying and hoarding craze that came practically out of nowhere:

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2020, 12:31:50 PM »
Even in our small town in East Texas, stores are depleted of TP, hand sanitizer, bleach, some types of canned food, bottled water, various cleaning products, and paper towels.

Idiots_!

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2020, 02:21:14 PM »
There isn't enough money that would entice me to be in New Jersey! :thumbsdown:

There are some really nice places in Jersey,just not near any cities. There is some beautiful country up there.
Same with Massoftwoshits,and New York state.

I wouldn't live there for all the money in the world,but it ain't a bad place to see once in your life.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »
Toilet paper wont save you from Corona people.  Ok ?  :th_nuts:

Stop it.  :bangheadonwall:

:th_thicon_funny:

Actually, it's a way for people who are full of shi+ to self identify  :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »
There isn't enough money that would entice me to be in New Jersey! :thumbsdown:

There are some really nice places in Jersey,just not near any cities. There is some beautiful country up there.
Same with Massoftwoshits,and New York state.

I wouldn't live there for all the money in the world,but it ain't a bad place to see once in your life.

I agree with you 100%. Years ago when my father worked for Eastman Kodak, he had to go to Rochester NY twice a year for a few weeks. He said that part of NY had some beautiful scenery.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2020, 07:29:16 AM »
I refuse to contribute to this nonsensical panic buying of ammo (and, by the way, folks who think this whole virus thing is a joke.....are either ignorant or stupid_
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2020, 10:57:12 AM »
Our lgs have been closed for over 3 weeks.
I've got plenty and have ZERO Intentions of going to the lgs.
But we have 2 of the largest lgs  in   the state located in central Pa .

The libtard Gov allowed them to  reopened Tuesday.

I had a vehicle inspection yesterday at a backwoods garage with 1 employee,, the owner. We social distanced,,  😁.

He said he went to the lgs Wednesday morning,,. I ask what it looked like.
He said he was in and out and  he bought a case of 9mm. And claimed there was a long checkout line, and  most people in line had cases of ammo.

Sounds like ammo sales were up. 

The one lgs has the largest supply of used pistols I've ever seen. I've found some dandy deals in there on high quality used nib pistols cheap. I generally keep an eye put there.
I got a nib /used
CZ p01 for $369,, box and all.
Found a nib/used beretta 92fs for $375, box and all.
I missed a CZ 97 bd,  FOR $400 BY MERE MINUTES.
The one case is prolly 30 feet long, with 3 shelves.  polymers were stacked literally 3 deep and 2 high weeks ago. Every brand under the sun.  They were so full it was hard to see what was really in there.

I always looked at the printout  list to see if anything interesting was listed,, then would have them find it.

I'm wondering what those used racks look like now?

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2020, 11:09:34 AM »

I'm excited as hell to see what they're going to look like here in about 6-8 months once everybody starts trying to unload everything they panic bought.

Not gonna lie, I'm at least partly thinking of putting some of that $1,200 toward a new toy.

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2020, 04:44:25 PM »

I'm excited as hell to see what they're going to look like here in about 6-8 months once everybody starts trying to unload everything they panic bought.

Not gonna lie, I'm at least partly thinking of putting some of that $1,200 toward a new toy.

Yup. 😁   there will be some great buys on "nib" stuff that was panic  bought.  And most will likely be nib/ used. Some unfired.

I love finding those. 😁

I bet the local ad bargain is also going to be stuffed with nib panic bought stuff , where they are trying to get what they paid. Which wont happen.

Those will likely  eventually be heading back to the lgs.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2020, 06:06:16 PM »
Just when stores around were making a little headway with available stock the county fathers decided to announce a county wide Shelter In Place order. Basically that means only essential businesses are allowed to be open, practice social distancing and no groups of ten or more. Really it means nothing.

Of course over a third of the population thought this meant everyone go's on lock down. Of course idiots start panic buying again. People are calling the local media and law enforcement asking about roadblocks, what happens if you don't have your "papers", snitching on families enjoying themselves in the local parks and when is the National Guard going to begin patrolling the neighborhoods.. GD insanity.

Cops here have been instructed to reduce their contact with the public by making fewer traffic stops, gross violations only, and writing citations for most common misdemeanors instead of taking them to jail. Motorcycle cops, which you usually see parked at or around the busy intersections, are just riding around enjoying the spring weather. LEO son worked yesterday and told me it was the slowest day he's experienced in his 20+ years in Law enforcement.

Am thankful that liquor and gun stores have been designated essential businesses. Granddaughter and grandson are thankful that the Chick Ful A and Whataburger drive up windows are open.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
I personally am only eating food I cook myself right now. So, no drive thru or take out for me  :P

Offline cbp210

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • Hits the Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2020, 11:17:27 AM »
In Humble, TX the only thing that is hard to find is Lysol spray, Clorox wipes, and their generic counterparts. We have lots of toilet papers and everything else. Our local Academy is short of ammo with the exception of bird shot. Local gun shops like Kingwood Guns and Carters Country has ammo but limits to one box a day.

Online Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »
Didnt “panic buy” anything myself.
I tend to keep stock of essentials.

Like food
Water
TP
Paper towels
Etc.

Panic things to me illustrates how utterly unprepared most adult Americans are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2020, 05:12:36 PM »
This far along from when the thread was originally started, most everything has gone back to normal availability except hand sanitizer and ammo.

It was inconvenient then, but looking back on it now, it was interesting to see how quickly things could go sideways. Until now, I'd never seen a totally empty grocery like that in my life.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2020, 06:03:02 PM »
This far along from when the thread was originally started, most everything has gone back to normal availability except hand sanitizer and ammo.

It was inconvenient then, but looking back on it now, it was interesting to see how quickly things could go sideways. Until now, I'd never seen a totally empty grocery like that in my life.
Just mention "Hurricane" or "below freezing temperatures with ice on roads" around here and you get serious panic buying. Remember Harvey a few years ago?

This Corona induced panic buying was a different animal though as it took several weeks to flatten out. I bought some long shelf life prepper meals after Harvey and for awhile there this past Spring I thought I was going to have to break them out.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2020, 06:33:27 PM »
I'll admit I've never lived in an area where hurricanes are a problem, but not even when it gets cold and icy do our stores ever get so picked over everything completely disappears like it did during the worst of the panic buying.

It was almost comical though: we didn't really have much trouble finding food only because I discovered we have no problems eating what everyone else doesn't. Spicy breakfast sausage, spicy marinated chicken, spicy chips, spicy and extra spicy versions of canned chili, spicy Italian sausage, Jalapeño cheddar hamburger patties, pretty much all the fresh peppers we could want, tubs of salsa itself.... All of it was passed up because apparently around here people would rather starve than burn their delicate little tongues.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »
We do occasionally get tornados in our part of Texas. Even if not directly hit. there have been instances where our power was out for several days because of downed powerlines from trees from the tornados or storms.

When Hurricane Rita hit, we were quite far from any damage from the hurricane, but father east of us our electric provider was hit pretty hard and we lost power for twelve days before it was restored.

So "prepping" is just something we happen to do for practical reasons.