Author Topic: Building A Budget Target Rimfire Rifle.  (Read 622 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Building A Budget Target Rimfire Rifle.
« on: March 03, 2020, 04:04:14 PM »
I have this idea of building a budget-minded rimfire target rifle. The premise is fairly simple. Bolt-action, single shot, or repeater, preferably one with a box type magazine, heavy varmint, or target style barrel, and set up for use with a scope. And since my collection has a void in it of a 22 Magnum, that is the desired cartridge that I want build around.

I started the same similar thread on a few other gun forums over a year ago. The replies and suggestions were pretty varied. The naysayers were most assuredly in attendance! It can't be done on a budget, or a 22 Magnum can't be made accurate, and quite a few other negative responses. But, there were a few people that were encouraging of the project, even one gunsmith who tinkers with a lot of rimfires, who offered to do my chamber reaming of the barrel for free. One of the most frequent negative replies, was that budget and target didn't belong in the same sentence, and that I would dump a bunch of money into project that I'd never get my money back if I sold the rifle. I'm not planning to build it with intentions of selling it. This is for my personal enjoyment, and to see if it can be done.

The main focus, will be concentrating on the details. Such going to target style laminated stock, reworking the trigger and other adjustments. Trying out every 22 Magnum ammo available to find which is the most accurate in my rifle. Mounting a decent scope and rings on the rifle. Possibly even trying out different barrels in the search for greater accuracy.

Thing is, I think it can be achieved. I have done it before with other rifles in the past. Nothing can be achieved if you don't try.

The floor is open for tips, advice, or discussion. :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline RaySendero

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
Re: Building A Budget Target Rimfire Rifle.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 06:13:37 PM »
The only rifle I know to start such a project would be a CZ-457 Varmint.
Ray

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 01:11:24 AM »
The only rifle I know to start such a project would be a CZ-457 Varmint.

I have given thought to using a new rifle, but I was leaning towards something older and out of production, like an old Mossberg, or Marlin.

But a good suggestion, and option Ray. :th_thicon_idea:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Online DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 08:46:59 AM »
I have several 22 magnums. It's been a lifelong favorite on the farm.
More penetration than a .38. Quite lethal on pigs and cows for butcher. It will zip right through most kevlar.
That little high speed bullet makes VERY NASTY would channels. It seems to work on the same principle as a 5.56. Deadly on varmints. With the right rifle and ammo, you can head shoot varmints @ 250 yards.

Ammo Accuracy largely depends on how far you want to shoot.
50 yards, ammo just does not make much difference in a 22 mag. The speed makes it naturally accurate by default.

Once you stick it on a bench rest, with a great trigger, you start to notice.
When I got a CZ 455 VARMINT, awesome accuracy, with an exceptional trigger,, it warranted some ammo experiments and long range shooting.  And I did want to see just HOW FAR I could accurately and consistently "push it. " so on went the 4 x 16 scope.

Hollow points are great to about 75 yards,,the the farther out you go, they spin drift left. At 250 yards, they will drift left up to 5 inches.

The good side to that,, it's so consistent, you can use it.
@ 250 yards, 

Cci regular hollow points, slower speed, causes less left drift. 3 inches.
Where maxi mag +v causes the worst. 5 inches.

The most accurate 22 mag ammo I've found  is, cci maxi mag TMJ. total metal jacket.  The bullets powder load, are consistent, andvthe bullets apparently have really tight tolerances.

In a CZ 455 varmint w/ 4 x 16 scope, cci tmj,, pop cans @ 250 yards are easy. The group is under 1 inch. 

That's another common problem in 22 mag. Mass produced cheap ammo with poor tolerances can produce mass produced poor results,,, regardless of rifle quality.
Winchester super x was some of the worst I ever tried.  Powder loads were so "off", you could hear it. Accuracy was shit. -----

I once read a big article on 22 magnum. The subject reason was WHY nobody was producing 22 mag auto pistols  .

The gun manufacturers seem the long cartridges,  and horrible inconsistencies in brass , as a major factor on causing feeding and extracting jams.
Their theory was, and actually based on results trying the same thing with a 357 mag, and 44 mag,  the only way to build a 22 mag auto, that would run, was to build it, "loose as a goose",, which meant the firearm quality would suffer so bad,,, well, they just didnt want mess with it.

They said it was extremely hard to get a long cartridge to run in an auto.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 05:36:15 AM »
DCD, I think ammo consistency is the big factor in accuracy as well. But, there are many more choices in 22 magnum ammo than even just a few years ago. That is one area I want experiment with, are various brands and types of ammo.

Realistically, I am not expecting to achieve the same level of accuracy that I have with my Savage bolt action in 17 HMR, but this is strictly a fun project that interests me.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 09:24:01 AM »
I never got into the 17 HMR. When those came out, I already had several 22 mags.

And honestly,,, what can a 17 do better than a 22mag? Nothing really.
Here in PA, at 2 of the largest lgs in the state I seen a pattern.
The 17 sold like hot cakes for about 5 years, mostly because they were pushing them. Then the used racks filled up when nobody could get ammo. The ammo cost more than the 22 mag.

Not necessarily knocking  the 17, but To me, already having 22 mags, W/ ammo stocked up,  , it just made no sense . I never  messed with them.

I enjoyed the heck out of experimenting with the 22 mag. It was alot of affordable fun.
And it's very useable when I comes to varmints.

We had a farm as a kid. We were allowed to shoot for crop damage.  In the early 1970s we had paps western auto 22 mag,, 22 inch barrel, that killed more deer than all our 30 cals put together. At the time, we had 50 to 60 deer in our fields at night. We grew up on venison. When they dropped their fawns and the strawberry were ripe,, it was game on.  Head shots were one a done.
And that absolutely was not the case with a 22lr.
Paps 22 mag was actually bought for cows and pigs. I'm assuming back when they invented it in the mid 50s. The riflings are so wore down they're hard to see. But it's still deadly accurate. 😁

I seen my younger brother kill a ground hog at probably 350 yards with it. I still cant believe he did it. That was the best shot I ever seen with a 22 mag.
That's the other neat thing. If you are shooting over about 75 yards, you can HEAR the bullet "thump" into the critter. There is no doubt if you hit or missed.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Txhillbilly

• Doesn't Run Downrange
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 07:03:20 PM »
Heavy barreled Savage 93 should do the trick.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 10:06:31 PM »
Heavy barreled Savage 93 should do the trick.

That is actually another consideration I have thought about. Though not completely rejected, I sort of wanted to do something different, since I have my Savage in 17hmr.

Good option though Tx. :th_thicon_idea:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 10:17:18 PM »
I never got into the 17 HMR. When those came out, I already had several 22 mags.

And honestly,,, what can a 17 do better than a 22mag? Nothing really.
Here in PA, at 2 of the largest lgs in the state I seen a pattern.
The 17 sold like hot cakes for about 5 years, mostly because they were pushing them. Then the used racks filled up when nobody could get ammo. The ammo cost more than the 22 mag.

Not necessarily knocking  the 17, but To me, already having 22 mags, W/ ammo stocked up,  , it just made no sense . I never  messed with them.

I enjoyed the heck out of experimenting with the 22 mag. It was alot of affordable fun.
And it's very useable when I comes to varmints.

We had a farm as a kid. We were allowed to shoot for crop damage.  In the early 1970s we had paps western auto 22 mag,, 22 inch barrel, that killed more deer than all our 30 cals put together. At the time, we had 50 to 60 deer in our fields at night. We grew up on venison. When they dropped their fawns and the strawberry were ripe,, it was game on.  Head shots were one a done.
And that absolutely was not the case with a 22lr.
Paps 22 mag was actually bought for cows and pigs. I'm assuming back when they invented it in the mid 50s. The riflings are so wore down they're hard to see. But it's still deadly accurate. 😁

I seen my younger brother kill a ground hog at probably 350 yards with it. I still cant believe he did it. That was the best shot I ever seen with a 22 mag.
That's the other neat thing. If you are shooting over about 75 yards, you can HEAR the bullet "thump" into the critter. There is no doubt if you hit or missed.

About the time the 17hmr hit the market, just shortly before that I had sold my 22 Magnum rifle to a friend. As I was looking around, I ran into some info on the 17hmr, and was very interested, and for about a year, did lots of research on it. I liked what I saw. At the time, the 17hmr fit my needs or wants better than 22 Magnum. So in 2004 I bought a Savage model 93R17. I have been well pleased with it. Accurate enough that I shot it out past 200 yards on a windless day!

On the rimfire magnums, if a person is wanting to use it for hunting, IMO the 22 magnum is better suited. For longer range rimfire target shooting, I would recommend the 17hmr.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 12:41:13 PM »
Back in 2008, the writing was on the wall with obummer,  and the pending anti gun,  problems coming our way. So I trimmed the arsenal. Any caliber I considered either a wildcat, oddball, or otherwise not generally used by ME consistantly,  I got rid of. Then stocked up big time for the ones I kept. 
It actually worked out because I got top dollar for those I sold.
What I kept was 22lr, 22mag, .223, 9mm, 357, 270, 308, 30-06. My hunting was the real priority. The one "oddball" I kept was 327 FM. I use it for hunting.

If you think about it , 2008 was pretty much in the heart of the .17 hey day.  Shortly afterwards, about 2009, ammo for it could not be found here. It stayed that way several years. 

So that was really the main reason i never messed with the 17.
It came at a time when i was trying to consolidate calibers.
I know people that still have them, and love them.
I have 1/2 a dozen really good 22 mags with several K rounds. So no need or desire to add a caliber where I'd be starting from scratch.
I do think I could take my CZ 455 varmint and give a 17 a long range run for its money though. 😉

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 04:08:33 PM »
I fully understand DCD. In essence, I was sort of starting from scratch, and then I ran across an article in a gun magazine about the 17hmr, and it just went from there for me. It intrigued me.

Now I want another 22 magnum again. Key word, want, don't need! The idea of this project has been banging around my head for a few years now.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »
Sounds like a fun project.

I been kicking around rebarreling  a 1903 Springfield into 270 win. I have one that's already been drilled for scope mounts and had a bubba sporterizing done. (,, not by me, ) I bought it cause the price was right, and  the untouched barrel looks like nib with cosmoline in the rifling. But they hacked the stock. So the damage is already done. ?  It looked like a great cantidate for a rebuild into a long range shooter. It actually shoots great as is,, just looks like crap.
As it is, I also could throw a new custom stock, new mounts and scope, and have ANOTHER great 30-06 hunting rifle.

The real problem is,  I already have several 30-06 and 270s. So it's a back burner project.  No real reason to be in any hurry. It ain't going anywhere. I just love the 1903 action. I'll maybe git it done someday. 😏

Might decide to build it into a caliber I dont have. Dunno.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 07:46:17 PM »
DCD, that would be a cool project! :th_thicon_idea:

Might I suggest an option on cartridge for that rifle? 280 Remington. Awesome cartridge. Pretty much a 30-06 necked down to a 7mm caliber. I have an older Ruger M77V in 280, and it's one accurate SOB! Proper handloads put it superior in ballistics than the 270. Some people have even called it  7mm Mag. Lite!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline AdioSS

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 05:41:47 AM »
I recently bought a CMR30 in 22 Mag. I had a few boxes of ammo already because I had a 22Mag cylinder for my Heritage Rough Rider. I mainly used CB caps in that pistol, & rarely shot Magnums from it. As you can imagine, it is easy to run through ammo a lot faster when you have a semiauto with 30rd mags than a single action pistol. Now I need to buy some more ammo. Im thinking that this gun could use some better optic than the cheap red dot I put on it, too.
Cheston

Offline RaySendero

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 07:12:29 AM »

I been kicking around rebarreling  a 1903 Springfield into 270 win. I have one that's already been drilled for scope mounts and had a bubba sporterizing done. (,, not by me, ) I bought it cause the price was right, and  the untouched barrel looks like nib with cosmoline in the rifling. But they hacked the stock. So the damage is already done. ?  It looked like a great cantidate for a rebuild into a long range shooter. It actually shoots great as is,, just looks like crap.
As it is, I also could throw a new custom stock, new mounts and scope, and have ANOTHER great 30-06 hunting rifle.

The real problem is,  I already have several 30-06 and 270s. So it's a back burner project.  No real reason to be in any hurry. It ain't going anywhere. I just love the 1903 action. I'll maybe git it done someday. 😏

DCD,
Other than the drill/tap is the "bubba sporterizing" just the stock?
Ray

Online DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 10:04:19 AM »

DCD,
Other than the drill/tap is the "bubba sporterizing" just the stock?

Yes. They cut the stock off at the front stock band, and drilled it for scope mounts.  That was it.
It's actually a good cantidate for putting back to military issue. I have 2 like that. Both were exceptional shape, still green from cosmoline.
The bolts, triggers, barrel,  were not altered.

I bought them specifically because of that,,

1, a Springfield 1903A1,  also has a nickel bolt.

The Remington is an 03A3. It actually looks new besides the stock chop.

I already have all 4 manufacturers in stock military.

Offline RaySendero

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 02:56:42 PM »
Well...That's why I was asking.
If you clean it up real good, plug the scope drills and put it back in a period correct stock,
Was thinking it would be worth to somebody that understands the 1903 Springfield history.
Especially with the excellent condition you describe the original barrel.
Bet you could find 2 or 3  Rem M700 actions for what you could get for that 1 back period correct.
When you can preserve history and make some profit at same time - Just do it.
Ray

Online DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 03:43:23 PM »
I've rebuilt several. But they're not for sale. I'll let my boys fight over that one. Lol.

I love shooting them old school.

I've got several full sets of stock  hardware,, but lack the correct stock wood.
Those can get VERY pricey. Especially if someone knows what they got.

And if you want to get technical,,especially from a collector's standpoint,  to make the rifle 100%,,, not only is the correct hardware needed, the stock is key, right along with WHAT cartouche stamps are on it. . And their sometimes hard to find to be correct.

I've put a few together I got 100% correct.

One Smith Corona A3,, I have the correct stock and hardware, but the stock is a new take off, that was never stamped. Which lessens its overall value to a collector.

But since I've no intention on selling any.  The $$ dont matter a whole lot to me. But it is nice to have them military issue correct.

Since the Remington is an A3, and drilled for a scope, ,, i could turn that into an A4 right now.

And i may. Dunno. I have a real A4 I dont like taking out much. Having a  useable Remington 03A4  clone would be cool.
I could make it 100% correct, other than the scope. And the serial # would of course be off.

I know even clones that are close are worth big money. I've seen shops trying to sell "parts" rifles. And they had all 4 manufactures parts on them, and they still wanted over 1k. Which I think is insane.
All the parts rifles I looked at had 1 thing in common. The bolts felt like they were full of sand.
And anyone that knows a good 1903 ,, their actions are smooth as greasy butter.