Author Topic: Looking for a new smallish carry 9mm  (Read 378 times)

Offline mesinge2

• Single Stage Reloader
  • NRA Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Safe Direction Firearms Instruction
Looking for a new smallish carry 9mm
« on: February 26, 2020, 07:05:20 PM »
My current small carry 9 is a Kimber micro 9. And while I really like the gun it only gives me 8 rounds. So I'm trying to decide between Springfield Armory Hellcat with 13 + 1, the Sig 365xl with 12 + 1, or the Glock 48 in which I can buy Shield arms magazines making it 15 + 1 with a flush magazine.

The pros of the Hellcat are it's very small and a good capacity; the cons of the Hellcat are I would prefer a 4-inch Barrel like the other two as I will be carrying IWB.

I love the idea of the Glock 48 with the flush-fitting 15-round magazines, the problem is every Glock I've ever shot and bites the web of my hand without a beavertail extension and I can't find one for the Glock 48, otherwise I would just buy this one.

Finally the Sig 365xl is the right barrel length and a good capacity. But I hate the feeling of that snapping wet branch feeling of the trigger.

So HELP me choose!

Also if someone has another idea just please mention it. Currently the two I've been carrying other than the Kimber are a Glock 26 or a Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact. They're good carry guns but they're a bit fat.

1911 and Revolver aficionado
NRA Certified Instructor
Αναμονή για την αποκάλυψη ζόμπι

http://www.safedirection.org/

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a new smallish carry 9mm
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 07:44:22 PM »
I bought this Springfield EMP 1911 a few years ago as a dedicated carry gun. Although my son and grandson were pretty accurate with it yours truly was getting pie plate size groups at 20 feet. Tried as I might never could shoot it worth a darn but it is a fine pistol for those that can.
I bought this at my LGS when Springfield was having a promotional sale. Pistol, six mags, dual mag holder and holster (not the one pictured) all for $600. I see it's double that now without the swag.

CALIBER
9mm
RECOIL SYSTEM
Dual Spring w/ Full Length Guide Rod
SIGHTS
Low Profile Combat, 3 - Dot Tritium
WEIGHT
27 ozs.
HEIGHT
5"
SLIDE
Forged Stainless Steel, Satin Finish
BARREL
3" Stainless Steel Match Grade, Fully Supported Ramp, Bull

LENGTH
6.6"
GRIP TYPE
1.12" Thinline Cross Cannon™ Double Diamond Cocobolo
FRAME (FRAME DESIGN PAT# 7,340,987)
Forged Aluminum Alloy, Black Hardcoat Anodized
MAGAZINES
3 - 9 Round, Stainless Steel with Slam Pads
MSRP
$1,249.00
OPTIONS
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 08:32:16 PM »
CZ rami. 10 or 14 round mags.

If that's too small,, go with a CZ PCR or P01.
Same 14 round mags that ALSO work in the rami,, or 16 round full size mags,, which also work in the 2075 rami, 75 series pcr, 75 compact ,  or p01.

So you can go high capacity in any of the 75 series compacts. Or 2075 rami sub compact, just by swapping mags.

I wont go into a big spill on how AWESOME CZs are.  :th_thicon_idea:

Good luck.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline mesinge2

• Single Stage Reloader
  • NRA Certified Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Safe Direction Firearms Instruction
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 08:41:09 PM »
CZ rami. 10 or 14 round mags.

If that's too small,, go with a CZ PCR or P01.
Same 14 round mags that ALSO work in the rami,, or 16 round full size mags,, which also work in the 2075 rami, 75 series pcr, 75 compact ,  or p01.

So you can go high capacity in any of the 75 series compacts. Or 2075 rami sub compact, just by swapping mags.

I wont go into a big spill on how AWESOME CZs are.  :th_thicon_idea:

Good luck.

Oh. I know I have CZs as well. But I don't have a Rami. I didn't even think of that one. I have to look at some size comparisons of that one.
1911 and Revolver aficionado
NRA Certified Instructor
Αναμονή για την αποκάλυψη ζόμπι

http://www.safedirection.org/

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:19:58 PM »
Rami is  pretty much the Same size as a micro nine, or sig 938 , just a tic wider for the hi cap mags.

My wife loves hers.

308nato also carry one.

I prefer the PCR or P01 myself. Been carrying a PCR for almost 5 years.

I know nothing of the p10c. Other than It's a polymere striker fired if that's your fancy. Dont know about mag interchangeability with what you already have. I'm not familiar with the polymers.

I do know ANY 75 series mags will interchange in ALL 75 series. Regardless of capacity.
I have run 16 round full size CZ mags In the wife's rami. It will run 10, 14, or 16 no problem.
So I bought about 20 of the 16 round mags, as they work and run in everything  Cz we have.
Kinda convenient really.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 09:50:12 PM »
I like my Shield. However, you said you wanted more rounds.

I just rented a Glock 48 last week. I REALLY liked how it shot, so I sold an HK P2000sk that I rarely ever used (I normally carry the larger, P2000).

I ordered a G48 with night sights, and I sold the HK to pay for it. I should have it in a week or so...

I was very impressed with how the G48 shoots. First 3 rounds went into the same hole at 7 yards.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 10:06:06 PM »

I just rented a Glock 48 last week. I REALLY liked how it shot, so I sold an HK P2000sk that I rarely ever used (I normally carry the larger, P2000).

I ordered a G48 with night sights, and I sold the HK to pay for it. I should have it in a week or so...

I was very impressed with how the G48 shoots. First 3 rounds went into the same hole at 7 yards.

Ship, a striker fired Glock? I am surprised.  :thinker:
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:25:49 PM »

Ship, a striker fired Glock? I am surprised.  :thinker:

Me too.

But, that APX I bought last summer kinda put me on the band wagon. The trigger pull on the APX is so, so short, though.

I am comfortable carrying the Shield, however. The pull is long enough and heavy enough, that I am fine with it (being a DA/SA gun guy). I used to own 2 Shields (years ago), so this is actually my 3rd one that I got just over a month ago.

But, I actually had been looking at the G48 for months... But, I wanted to try it first. I have small hands, and it felt great holding it. But, I have owned so, so many guns. over the years. I didn't wanna buy something and hate it afterwards - so, I was waiting for Champion Firearms to have one to rent. They finally got one...

Even I am surprised. But, I really like the gun.

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:37:56 PM »
It's odd how our taste can change.

But I never got to liking striker fired.

I like my da/sa hammers. I like them smooth n  light sa, medium da. I just never found anything yet that suited me better.
Admitted, how i personally feel about the safety of the sidearm I'm carrying is also an issue.

I really loved shooting my 1911s. But after 2 incidents of getting undressed in the evening, and finding my 1911 safety OFF, i stopped carrying them. I'm active, and obviously got against something that pushed the safety off.

My 92s never did that.
Now i prefer decocker. Only an intentional full trigger squeeze can make them go bang. And I've never had the hammer go from 1/2 cock safety, to full  cock. So I feel extremely safe.

Offline randyjaco

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 08:57:09 PM »
Shield all the way!
Randy
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)