Author Topic: Pistol Press Checks!  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Pistol Press Checks!
« on: February 21, 2020, 03:43:38 AM »
I saw this subject come up on another gun forum. Press checks of your carry pistol, to ensure that a round was chambered. Hmmm......

Personally, outside of Hollywood movies, and TV shows, I haven't seen anyone do such a thing with their carry pistol. Hmmm......

My thoughts? It's dumb! I revert back to one of the basic tenets of gun safety, all guns should be considered loaded, and handled as if they were loaded. ALL pistols in my home, or that I'm carrying, ARE loaded.  IMO an empty gun, is nothing more than an expensive paperweight. So why would I press check a pistol to see if it's chambered? I don't, and never have.

Thoughts?

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: Pistol Press Checks!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »
Don't want to sound ignorant but what is a press check? Never heard the term. Is that where you drop the mag and take the slide back enough to see a hint of brass? I've carried a revolver most of my life and just recently switched to a S&W Shield.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »
Don't want to sound ignorant but what is a press check? Never heard the term. Is that where you drop the mag and take the slide back enough to see a hint of brass? I've carried a revolver most of my life and just recently switched to a S&W Shield.

The magazine isn't dropped, just the slide is moved back a bit to see if round is chambered.

Most modern semiautomatic pistols have a loaded chamber indicator.

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 12:10:33 PM »
It's just an additional safety thing for me. Several of the autoloaders I have will not fire w/o the mag inserted. I know, if you keep your finger off the trigger you don't have to worry about an unintentional discharge but dropping the mag is something I have done for a long time.
I'm good with the Shield and a couple others as they have a loaded chamber indicator.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »
It's just an additional safety thing for me. Several of the autoloaders I have will not fire w/o the mag inserted. I know, if you keep your finger off the trigger you don't have to worry about an unintentional discharge but dropping the mag is something I have done for a long time.
I'm good with the Shield and a couple others as they have a loaded chamber indicator.

Alte, I only have one pistol that HAD a magazine safety, my Bersa 380. I disabled it. I understand the concept and reason for it, but I have no need in a pistol for such a safety.

Offline Army 1911

• Military
  • 3 Yard Shooter
  • 1911 Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 11:17:44 AM »
Press checks are free but trips to the ER aren't.

One should know if one's gun is loaded.
A well balanced breakfast, being necessary to the health of the nation, the right of the people to keep an eat cereal shall not be infringed.  Now who gets the ceral, the breakfast or the people?
Sure I'll shoot your Glock.  Just hang it with the rest of the targets.

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 02:05:07 PM »
Cant help ya.  :thinker:

Mine have LOADED CHAMBER  INDICATORS.  :th_thicon_idea:

(I also was raised like you Axxe.  ALL guns are considered LOADED, and teated as such,  until they're visually checked. ) 
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 02:20:08 PM »
Cant help ya.  :thinker:

Mine have LOADED CHAMBER  INDICATORS.  :th_thicon_idea:

(I also was raised like you Axxe.  ALL guns are considered LOADED, and teated as such,  until they're visually checked. )

Exactly. If I plan on working on, or cleaning a gun, I drop the magazine, or unload the rounds, and verify the chamber is empty, at least twice. I never assume it's empty, but verify that it's empty. I assume any gun I pick up is loaded in my home, because it probably is loaded.

I'm also a person who doesn't believe in "accidental discharges" being accidents. IMO, 99% of those are improper and unsafe gun handling. The 1% of those? Those I will chalkbup to the very real mechanical, or safety defect, due to wear and tear, or a part failure. But those IMO are very rare. I also believe that 99% of accidents, of any kind or type, regardless, of the equipment or tools used, or the situation or the environment involved, can or could be prevented.

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 04:51:02 PM »
Imho,,

Accidental discharges are very rare and generally take a defect in  the firearm.

Negligent discharges happen all the time.

Because You just cant fix stupid. And not knowing the firearm YOU are handling is a self inflicted negligence.

You dont play with dynamite unless you FIRST properly  learn HOW.

Hold my beer and watch this,,, is no excuse.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 07:11:32 PM »
Exactly DCD.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 07:37:52 PM »
Most modern semi-automatic pistols have a loaded chamber indicator.

All semi and have an interactive loaded chamber indicator:  firmly touch the trigger and an audible alert indicates a round in the chamber.

Wasn't there a recent posted vidoe of a guy checking his laser with his hand when he touched the loaded chamber indicator?

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »
Most modern semi-automatic pistols have a loaded chamber indicator.

All semi and have an interactive loaded chamber indicator:  firmly touch the trigger and an audible alert indicates a round in the chamber.

Wasn't there a recent posted vidoe of a guy checking his laser with his hand when he touched the loaded chamber indicator?

Sounds like a STUPIDENTAL discharge.  :bangheadonwall: