Author Topic: Long time owner/builder, new to forum just moved to North Houston  (Read 720 times)

Offline Perchowski

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
Hello all!  New to Texas and the forum, recently escaped Commiefornia after living there all my life.  I know alot of Texans arent very fond of all the Californians moving to their state and voting the same as they did in the Democratic Republik of Kalifornia.  Just to be clear, ive only voted Republican/pro 2A since i was able to vote so you may not like it, but im going to continue to vote the same. 😉
  Now that we have that out of the way, my name is Steve, moved out here with my GF who I've slowly been getting into shooting.  I love shooting and building guns, as well as riding sport bikes at the track.  Coming from Ca. And the insane gun laws there and every gun purchased basically registered, i taught myself a few years ago how to build 80% lowers and really enjoyed the process!  Ive built out multiple AR15s, polymer 80 glocks, and just finished up an AR10 build in 6.5 creedmoor that i have yet to shoot.  Wanted it to be nice and function properly, and when doing research i found out that 6.5 creedmoor builds can be finicky and eat brass/push primers out from the pressure so i went with some proven products that has functioned well for others, mainly JP parts.  Went with their barrel +2gas length, HP bolt/VMOS BCG, adjustable gas block, and their silent capture spring setup so its similar to the gun they sell just using a different upper/lower and LPK.
  Back in Ca. we had BLM land where we could shoot long range and setup steel targets so i have some reactive steel silhouettes, as well as a know your limits. 22 target.  I had no idea Texas was all private land only so havent found a range that lets you bring out steel targets unfortunately. 
  Anyway both my GF and i dont know anyone out in this area so i just wanted to introduce myself and get to know some like-minded people that enjoy shooting!  Hope everybody is enjoying their weekend!

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Long time owner/builder, new to forum just moved to North Houston
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 10:58:39 AM »
Congratulations on escaping and welcome and your first like.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »
A welcome shout out from Brazos County.  :th_thicon_idea:

l really like to hear stories such as yours. I'm sure some of our Houston area members can recommend a gun range. We are a diverse group here so feel free to jump in anytime.

Lived in Monterrey, Ca back in the mid to late '70's. Wife and I enjoyed our time there. Lot's of things to see and do.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Perchowski

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 03:00:07 PM »
Thanks TXAZ, appreciate it!

Thank you as well Alte!  I live close to Carters Country, but i havent heard the best things.  :frown:  Not so much the range, from what i remember people mainly complained about the crowds/people that go there.  Was actually planning on stopping by there shortly to check it out/if its not too crowded, might grab my 6.5 i havent shot yet and start tuning the gas system, will hopefully have a dedicated optic for it in a few weeks.
  California is a beautiful state!  I lived in Orange County, was pretty nice being able to be at the beach in 20min. Or 1.5hr the opposite way to ski in the mountains.  Unfortunately its just gotten too expensive to live there, and the laws they're passing out there are mind boggling.   :bangheadonwall:

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 04:43:38 PM »
Welcome aboard. Glad ya found out site!

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 04:51:56 PM »
Hey welcome aboard from just west of Tomball.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Perchowski

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 11:37:06 AM »
Thank you Shipwreck & 308nato!
  Also thought id mention the rest of the family that came with us to Texas.  Roxy is a 2 1/2 yr. Old blue nose pitbull.  Shes 55lb, half bully and a big baby, doesnt like loud noises and tries to hide from thunder. 
  Autumn is a 6yr. Old cocker spaniel, about 25lbs.   Shes small, handicapped, basically paralyzed from waist down from IVDD, a disc disease.  She got emergency surgery when we found out but she never recovered fully.
  Lastly, our cat Mao/MaoMao, named her after the dictator Mao Zedong..  I guess thats the impression i get from cats personality 😆

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 01:02:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum and to Texas. :wave1:

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 01:41:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I don't know about any ranges down there but I'm lucky to have 3 long ranges within an hour of where I live in North Texas. They range from 1k to 2k yard ranges. They are pretty pricey to shoot at,but it's worth it when you can shoot out that far.

Offline Perchowski

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 09:45:49 PM »
Thanks Axxe55 & Txhillbilly!

Yeah i was surpised there aren't more ranges with some distance out here.  Since Texas is a gun friendly state i assumed you could just find some open land off a freeway out of the city that's safe to shoot at.  Figured as long as you cleaned up after yourself and left it cleaner than you found it and not disturbing anyone you're good.   :blondmoment: 
  Wasn't until i actually went searching on the internet for places locals recommended to shoot some distance around Houston and found very few ranges mentioned, know someone with land, or ask a farmer very nicely.  :wave1: :auto:

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 06:40:04 AM »
You could try here.
However its a good distance from Houston and pricey.

https://jlbar.com/long-range/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Weminuche

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 07:19:49 AM »
Welcome steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Perchowski

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 08:34:04 AM »
Thank you Shield45 & Weminuche!  That place looks really nice, extremely expensive though  :frown:  Thank you for the link though, i definitely appreciate it!