Author Topic: Concealed handgun in car question  (Read 492 times)

Offline mizono7

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
Concealed handgun in car question
« on: February 07, 2020, 01:08:07 PM »
My wife and I take the class tomorrow and Iím working on studying ahead of it. One question I have is about the weapon in a vehicle. It states that a CHL is not required to have a concealed weapon in the home or vehicle.

I occasionally drive Uber and Lyft. And while waiting on the license I wouldnít mind having my handgun with me.

My question is can it be on you? In a holster IWB? Or does it need to be like in the door? The statement I read was kinda broad so I just wanted some clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mdf9183

• Military
  • Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Concealed handgun in car question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 01:32:24 PM »
If you are in Texas Google Motorist Protection Law.
It is better to have loved and lost than to never have lost at all.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »
Yes you can have your firearm on your person in your vehicle as long as it is concealed. Glove box, center console or door pocket OK too as long as it covered and out of view of the public.
If you carry on your person while driving remember the LTC statute goes into effect once you step out of your vehicle.
If your going to have a firearm in your vehicle Itís best to keep it covered in the door panel or someplace accessible by you and not accessible by a passenger. Many people find holster carrying while driving uncomfortable and place it in the door panel with a towel concealing it.

Your new carry license will change all this. Good luck.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 01:38:56 PM »
TX castle doctrine extends to your car.
Can NOT be on your person (unless you have your ltc) and has to be out of sight. IE covered.

Online Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 01:40:49 PM »
Yes you can have your firearm on your person in your vehicle as long as it is concealed. Glove box, center console or door pocket OK too as long as it covered and out of view of the public.
If you carry on your person while driving remember the LTC statute goes into effect once you step out of your vehicle.
If your going to have a firearm in your vehicle Itís best to keep it covered in the door panel or someplace accessible by you and not accessible by a passenger. Many people find holster carrying while driving uncomfortable and place it in the door panel with a towel concealing it.

Your new carry license will change all this. Good luck.
NOPE. CAN NOT be on the person
Unless said person has ltc even in CAR. At least thats how I understand it.

Offline mizono7

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 01:49:00 PM »
Ok good to know. I wanted to make sure IF I brought it with what the protocol was. Iím still not sure if I will until I have my LTC in hand. But if I do then I want to be on the right side of the law of course.

Keep it concealed. In the door. Easy enough if I bring it.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »
Can NOT be on your person (unless you have your ltc) and has to be out of sight. IE covered.

Hate to disagree with you Shield but the only restrictions placed on a Texas motorist carrying a handgun in a motor vehicle are:

The handgun must NOT be in plain view; it must be concealed.
You are NOT engaged in criminal activity (excluding Class C traffic misdemeanors).
Federal law does NOT prohibit you from possessing a firearm.
You are NOT a member of a criminal gang.

If you DO NOT have a valid carry license and have a concealed handgun in a holster, in your pocket or concealed in any other way on your person while operating a motor vehicle you are not in violation of the Texas Motorists Act. As long as you remove the handgun from your body and conceal it, say in a glove box, prior to exiting your vehicle your compliant with the applicable law. You do not have to remove the handgun from your person if the property is under your control as in your house, driveway or business.

Do I recommend this. No I do not for several obvious reasons. All it takes is one over zealous LEO to ruin your day.

Praying for Constitutional Carry to pass the next legislative session.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 04:31:17 PM »

Hate to disagree with you Shield but the only restrictions placed on a Texas motorist carrying a handgun in a motor vehicle are:

You are NOT engaged in criminal activity (excluding Class C traffic misdemeanors).

If you DO NOT have a valid carry license and have a concealed handgun in a holster, in your pocket or concealed in any other way on your person while operating a motor vehicle you are not in violation of the Texas Motorists Act. As long as you remove the handgun from your body and conceal it, say in a glove box, prior to exiting your vehicle your compliant with the applicable law. You do not have to remove the handgun from your person if the property is under your control as in your house, driveway or business.

Do I recommend this. No I do not for several obvious reasons. All it takes is one over zealous LEO to ruin your day.

Maybe the case but why risk it.
I always thought it had to be not on you unless transporting to or from home etc.
Try removing from your pocket after a cop asks you to exit your car.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 05:58:06 PM »

I always thought it had to be not on you unless transporting to or from home etc.

Interpreting a law or statute with an eye towards caution is always a good thing. Agree with you about contact with law enforcement and that was one of the obvious reasons I was referring to. Telling a police officer "OK but first I need to take this pistol out of my shoulder rig" isn't something an LEO would like to hear. Also, during a traffic stop, making suspicious movements when trying to remove and conceal a handgun is not going to endear you to any member of the law enforcement community.

Remember the previous Texas law where one of the reasons you were allowed to have a handgun in your vehicle was "traveling"? This was interpreted and misinterpreted countless times, depending on what county or jurisdiction you were in, by law enforcement and civilians alike. And who could forget for the first 15 years Texas had licensed concealed carry and the "printing" clause? That's why Texas needs Constitutional Carry. A straight forward law. No need to guess what is permitted and what isn't.
Toussaint Louverture

Online Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 08:52:03 PM »

Interpreting a law or statute with an eye towards caution is always a good thing. Agree with you about contact with law enforcement and that was one of the obvious reasons I was referring to. Telling a police officer "OK but first I need to take this pistol out of my shoulder rig" isn't something an LEO would like to hear. Also, during a traffic stop, making suspicious movements when trying to remove and conceal a handgun is not going to endear you to any member of the law enforcement community.

Remember the previous Texas law where one of the reasons you were allowed to have a handgun in your vehicle was "traveling"? This was interpreted and misinterpreted countless times, depending on what county or jurisdiction you were in, by law enforcement and civilians alike. And who could forget for the first 15 years Texas had licensed concealed carry and the "printing" clause? That's why Texas needs Constitutional Carry. A straight forward law. No need to guess what is permitted and what isn't.
Agreed some of the caveats can be confusing.
Yes Constitutional carry should be the national law.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 09:04:45 PM »
I doubt that will ever pass, unfortunately.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 10:03:56 PM »
I don't know ship. With Abbott at the helm I believe it is possible. 75% of the fight will be Lt. Gov. Patrick appointing a committee chairman that wants to see the bill through. I know that's a big if though.
The state having to give up the million of dollars in LTC fees will be a big hurdle. 
Toussaint Louverture