Author Topic: Brass casing with rust?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: Brass casing with rust?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 11:24:50 AM »
I bought a red scorchbright pad at a machine shop years ago. I cut off small parts, so I still have part of it even after 20 years...  I don't need it that often.

Red is much rougher than the green ones.

Grey scotch brites are the finest, if go to an auto parts store that sells paint and body working supplies.
Guess you’ve never seen/used white ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have seen the white ones' but never used them. They are not commonly used in body shops, so usually not stocked at most auto parts stores.

3M that makes and trademarks Scotch-Brite has eight different grades and colors for their sanding pads. The red, green and grey are the most commonly found at most places.

Offline Shield45

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »
I bought a red scorchbright pad at a machine shop years ago. I cut off small parts, so I still have part of it even after 20 years...  I don't need it that often.

Red is much rougher than the green ones.

Grey scotch brites are the finest, if go to an auto parts store that sells paint and body working supplies.
Guess you’ve never seen/used white ones.

Have seen the white ones' but never used them. They are not commonly used in body shops, so usually not stocked at most auto parts stores.

3M that makes and trademarks Scotch-Brite has eight different grades and colors for their sanding pads. The red, green and grey are the most commonly found at most places.
I know I sell and have them in stock.

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 08:16:41 PM »
I have managed to get some of the brass (rust) free

A few still have tiny spots of rust on them and some primers still have rust on them, but they look better than before

I don't think rust on the primers will hurt

Offline texaswoodworker

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 06:35:30 PM »
That's some nasty looking ammo. Scotch brite is going to be your friend. If you use any kind of liquid to help clean, make sure that it's completely ammonia free (no Brasso). Ammonia dissolves copper and can effect the structural integrity of a brass case. It doesn't make a difference on things like door knobs and old lamps, but those things aren't having to withstand the pressure a brass case will.

Offline dred

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 10:52:25 AM »
I bought some Malaysian surplus 7.62x51 and noticed rust on a couple of brass casings ... brass doesn't rust

?????
So, I was reading about brass plated steel 9mm at a CZ forum this morning.  I will be taking a magnet to my S&B 10mm after seeing some 9mm, brass S&B cases picked up by a magnet.  There were a few other brands listed, but I keyed in on the Seller and Beloit as this was the only brand that I actually have in my stash.

At any rate, what I learned is that manufacturers may be plating with brass as a form of corrosion resistance.  I'd hate to believe ammo makers might do this to simply trick shooters into overvaluing their ammo.  Seems visual inspection is now officially unreliable to identify actual case material.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »
I bought some Malaysian surplus 7.62x51 and noticed rust on a couple of brass casings ... brass doesn't rust

?????
So, I was reading about brass plated steel 9mm at a CZ forum this morning.  I will be taking a magnet to my S&B 10mm after seeing some 9mm, brass S&B cases picked up by a magnet.  There were a few other brands listed, but I keyed in on the Seller and Beloit as this was the only brand that I actually have in my stash.

At any rate, what I learned is that manufacturers may be plating with brass as a form of corrosion resistance.  I'd hate to believe ammo makers might do this to simply trick shooters into overvaluing their ammo.  Seems visual inspection is now officially unreliable to identify actual case material.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk
Really. That is interesting. I have a few boxes of S&B for my Tokarev and a couple of other handguns. The price is what usually attracts me. Has always been good range ammo for me.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 03:39:22 PM »
I have managed to get most of the rounds rust free, but I have 11 left … can those be fired  "SAFELY"  through a AR-10

Offline riattta

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 09:10:55 AM »
I would think they would be Ok . I would check them on the seating and the extraction.  definitely practice rounds