Author Topic: Credit Card Compromised  (Read 438 times)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Credit Card Compromised
« on: January 08, 2020, 04:38:52 PM »
First time for me. Used it 4x during the last month for Christmas presents and bought a firearm for myself. All places I had done business with before and  have active accounts. Went to pay off the balance this morning and saw two $99 charges at Ahmed's Chevron and Food Mart in Houston. Both charges were this morning. One at 8:30 and the other at 10:15. Talk about good timing on my part.
My bank is taking care of everything. Refunding the money within 48 Hrs and issuing me a new card. Guess I got off easy. Card representative said $99 is probably for gas and cigarettes.

I HATE F*****G THIEVES!

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Credit Card Compromised
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 04:41:57 PM »
I get this 1-2x a year.

I even had one credit card get charged that is locked up in my gun safe. So, it was never taken out of the house. It just got used online a time or two...

I have read that many times, the credit card company processing centers (which are usually somewhat local to the vendor) can get hacked.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 07:25:43 PM »
By far the easiest thing to do is just hack the retailer these days, because the processor is specifically hardened against hacking attacks more so than the retailer. It involves less leg-work, is harder to track when done properly, nets you hundreds of thousands of cards in one single convenient package instead of half a dozen, and doesn't expose you to the threat of being caught trying to install a card skimmer or using an RFID reader.

I've had four email accounts and four debit cards compromised over the years thus far because I used them to buy stuff through retailers that were legit, but with weak(er) security that made them vulnerable to hacks.

For example, I bought batteries once at Home Depot, in-store. I also used to shop at Target every once in a while (Target was my dad's Pharmacy at the time) in person. Both retailers got hacked, and the giant databases they keep of people's card info got compromised. Sure enough, about a month after each hack was discovered and announced on the news, I started seeing funny charges get run up on my card -- I was fortunate that they were small 'test' charges in the amount of $1-$2 used to see if the stolen info and cloned card worked (the huge 'new TV' charges would have come later on, had I not been paying attention), but it was still annoying as hell.

It's frustrating because per Shipwreck's example of the card in the gun safe, there's literally nothing you can do -- no amount of security consciousness -- that can truly prevent your card from getting hacked except not having one or using it in the first place thanks to the trend these days of retailers keeping records of people's card info for data mining and tracking purposes.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 08:43:22 PM »
I HATE F*****G THIEVES!

==> One of the things I liked about Saudi Arabia was how they dealt with thieves.  Yea, they really do wack off you right hand, usually within a few weeks of the crime.
Needless to say, there aren't many guys named "lefty" walking around the kingdom because of the stigma and logistics issues.

Online DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 12:12:19 AM »
I once got a brand new atm card. You had to use it at YOUR SAME bank to activate it.

So I hit the atm, with drew the $20 to activate, then deposited a couple grand.
I left the bank and went right across the street to Sears. Bought two new winter tires and went home.
The very next day, I go to the gun shop to pick up a layaway CZ which was about $400. 
They say.my card is no good. Totally dead.  . WTF. ?

So I call my bank, who's main office was a block away.
They ask me, "where are you?"
I say I'm a block away at Bob's gun.
They ask "WERE YOU IN NEW YORK CITY THIS MORNING?

Ummmm,,,,,, NOPE. That's 450 miles away,, and I wouldnt set foot in that shithole for money.

They said someone tried to buy $450 worth of booze at a liquor store in Brooklyn that morning. Less than 16 hours after using the card at our local Sears. ..

Thankfully,  our bank has a computer program that watches your habits, and ANYTHING out of the ordinary,, gets flagged and stopped instantly. Even a gasoline purchase 25 miles away requires a zip code, followed by a special 4 digit code. (Not your pin #) and the purchase cant be over $100. (Unless you call them)
Their security is awesome. I am grateful for it.

They issued me a new card,  and I NEVER used it at Sears again. Never had the problem again either.

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 06:49:46 AM »
By far the easiest thing to do is just hack the retailer these days, because the processor is specifically hardened against hacking attacks more so than the retailer. It involves less leg-work, is harder to track when done properly, nets you hundreds of thousands of cards in one single convenient package instead of half a dozen, and doesn't expose you to the threat of being caught trying to install a card skimmer or using an RFID reader.

I've had four email accounts and four debit cards compromised over the years thus far because I used them to buy stuff through retailers that were legit, but with weak(er) security that made them vulnerable to hacks.

For example, I bought batteries once at Home Depot, in-store. I also used to shop at Target every once in a while (Target was my dad's Pharmacy at the time) in person. Both retailers got hacked, and the giant databases they keep of people's card info got compromised. Sure enough, about a month after each hack was discovered and announced on the news, I started seeing funny charges get run up on my card -- I was fortunate that they were small 'test' charges in the amount of $1-$2 used to see if the stolen info and cloned card worked (the huge 'new TV' charges would have come later on, had I not been paying attention), but it was still annoying as hell.

It's frustrating because per Shipwreck's example of the card in the gun safe, there's literally nothing you can do -- no amount of security consciousness -- that can truly prevent your card from getting hacked except not having one or using it in the first place thanks to the trend these days of retailers keeping records of people's card info for data mining and tracking purposes.

Well, a few years ago, there was a local news story about a local credit card company processor being hacked. And, I had this happen to me about 1 week prior to that news story.

So, it is possible.

Offline riattta

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 08:26:51 AM »
I work in the credit card industry.  The card numbers are either pulled from the retailer or the skimmed. Or Now they now find a larger retailer web site and probe for good card numbers by sending a lot of transactions through will with sequential card numbers until they are stopped or get a bunch of good numbers to sell.

Offline 96fordsix

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 09:17:31 PM »
I work in the credit card industry.  The card numbers are either pulled from the retailer or the skimmed. Or Now they now find a larger retailer web site and probe for good card numbers by sending a lot of transactions through will with sequential card numbers until they are stopped or get a bunch of good numbers to sell.

Since we are talking about Credit cards and security. How secure are the new cards with the ability tap to pay and the apple pay and such?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Offline riattta

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »

Since we are talking about Credit cards and security. How secure are the new cards with the ability tap to pay and the apple pay and such?
Those RFID chips can be read from other readers if they get close enough . You should keep those cards in an RFID proof wallet or sleeve.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 01:51:34 PM »
Also those prepaid credit cards can be hacked as well. The wife's has been hit twice and I told her to get a new one. Now, because we only use them to pay the internet, NetFlix and Philo, we only load money onto to it when those need to be paid, so loss of money being hacked is only a few dollars.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline riattta

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 09:03:34 AM »
Almost all credit card/debit cards now have Zero Liability for Fraud. If you bank /card doesn't have it find a new one.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »
Almost all credit card/debit cards now have Zero Liability for Fraud. If you bank /card doesn't have it find a new one.

Yes. But, its still a pain in the butt