Author Topic: Beretta Model 81 Double Stack  (Read 386 times)

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Beretta Model 81 Double Stack
« on: December 28, 2019, 04:12:21 PM »
Mentioned in a post last week that I ordered a Model 81 from Classic Firearms. It came in yesterday. Even with the assorted fees (tax, shipping, insurance, extra magazine and FFL transfer) added to the $199 cost of the pistol I think I did OK at $300. Was the first time I had to pay tax, under the new law, on an out of state on line purchase.
Only condition issues I could find were light scratches around the grip screws. Overall condition is close to excellent. Locks up tight and the barrel looks new. This is my third "surplus" firearm I've bought from Classic and have yet to be disappointed.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Beretta Model 81 Double Stack
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 06:15:20 PM »
I knew some law had gone thru, but hadn't seen how it effected us in Texas yet. So, they charged you sales tax from their end for Texas?

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 08:23:14 PM »
I knew some law had gone thru, but hadn't seen how it effected us in Texas yet. So, they charged you sales tax from their end for Texas?
Last year the Supreme Court ruled on a case that changed on how online tax is collected. Some states, but not all, were effected. Something to do with the business having a physical presence in the state. Interpretation "seems" to be if they advertise in your state, through the mail or on line then a presence is established. But that's just a guess on my part as I don't know if the tax was collected for Texas or North Carolina where Classic Firearms is located.
I believe some businesses are just getting out ahead of the inevitable. I do know if you want to buy something and Uncle Sugar is standing next to the register with his hat out you pay the tax or no sale. On the same day I ordered the pistol I ordered some silver bullion tax free through an online broker in Oklahoma.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 10:48:50 PM »
I noticed just about everything I buy on line now is taxed.  Don't understand it, but I bought my Md 81 from Classic before this went into effect.  I also paid $10 more so I guess you can say it's turns out to be a wash for me.  I haven't had time to shoot it yet.  Spent Friday afternoon shooting with my daughter and first time shooter granddaughter (11 year old).  Everyone had fun and next outing I intend on used the Md 81 instead of a Colt revolver in .32 S&W Long (I found revolvers are the best for new young shooters instead of semi-autos).

Good shooting for all!
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 01:21:06 PM »
I just bought a gun online - and yes... Damn sales tax  :facepalm:

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »
I just bought a gun online - and yes... Damn sales tax  :facepalm:
I paid something like  8.5% which is the same amount charged at the local shops.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
I don't know the %. I bought something fairly inexpensive. But, it sucks....