Author Topic: Leather thumb snap disengages 1911 Safety!  (Read 465 times)

Offline AdioSS

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
Leather thumb snap disengages 1911 Safety!
« on: November 18, 2019, 10:59:53 PM »
I rarely ever carry my RIA 1911A1, but decided to today. I had to make a stop at the post office to pick up a package, so while I was in my truck I took the 1911 out of the holster. I noticed that the safety was not on. I know it was on when I holstered it about a half hour earlier. When I put it back on I make triple sure the safety was on, but tonight it was off again when I got home. I unloaded it & looked to figure out the cause. It didnít take long at all to realize that the thumb snap was pushing the safety down as the gun moved around in it. Thatís slightly disconcerting.

So, other than throwing the entire holster away, what can I do to it to prevent this from happening?
The only holster I have that I would feel safe carrying a 1911 in is a full-flap OD green M12  :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

Cheston

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Leather thumb snap disengages 1911 Safety!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 08:18:30 AM »
I have seen a few other people comment on this issue over the years on various gun forums.

When I did carry 1911s, I always used Galco holsters. I never had this.

I'd say - ya need a new holster - or cut the straps completely and just have it be a quick draw type holster

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
I had the same issue.

Right now, I've been CC for 32 + years,, ALL the time. So I dont really think about it much. I get up in the morning,, get dressed, and the sidearm gets strapped on,, and stay there until I'm back home for the evening. Alot of time I dont take it off until I go to bed. Again,, I'm so used to it,, I dont hardly even notice I'm carrying.

What's really funny is I CERTAINLY NOTICE,, if I'm not carrying.  :thinker:

While I'm very active, hands on,, and an equipment operator,, I came home several times, went to undress for the evening,, only to find a cocked and UNLOCKED Remington R1 on my hip.

The thought of a .45 caliber 230 grain slug ripping down my leg, and probably through an ankle, while possibly cutting the femoral artery,, was enough to make re re think carrying it.

I had leather Cebeci holsters,, from the looks of it,  like yours, ,, and one nylon. They both did that.

And I Loved that Remington. It was the most accurate 1911 that I ever had.  What a tack driver. My buddy knew that and finally hounded me for it until I sold it to him.

I went back to CC  my Beretta 92 FS, until I bought a CZ 75 series  DECOCKER. Been carrying that since about 2014.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline AdioSS

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 12:20:29 AM »
Yeah, today I went back to carrying my NP3 96G Centurion today.
Cheston

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 02:57:52 AM »
Yeah, today I went back to carrying my NP3 96G Centurion today.

I bought a 92 G when they 1st came out.  What a nice pistol. Runs perfect,, which was no surprise. I replaced the rear sight with a .030 tru dot,, which made it dead on @ 25 yards aiming right under a 2 inch bull.

I think I like the Amerixan built G as much as I do my Italian  FS.

They both run perfect,, as always with a 92 / 96 series.
While my CZ s are more accurate, and also run flawless,,, I think the Beretta 92/96 style pistol, is possibly the best most dependable pistol ever built.
 Dont care about dirt. Runs any ammo. They also are extremely safe ro carry. Accidental dis charges are unheard of .
And in 32 years I've never broke a part.
My original 92 F had over 30k rounds down the tube. Looked like it was dragged behind a truck down a gravel road. But it always ran perfect and never had a failure of any type. While the accuracy really tapered off , prolly from to much Fmj rapid fire down the tube,, I think it could of maybe used a new barrel. I admit,, I used and abused that gun BAD. It went where I did, and did what I did. It got beat up bad. And I rarely cleaned it. If it got in the mud, I wiped it with a oily rag.  But it took it no problem.

I've had several 1911 s, one high $custom, ,  I certainly couldn't say any of that about.

I dont think I ever put more than 1k rounds down any 1 of the  1911 s  I owned.
The Remington was the only one that never had a failure, and it was probably the highest round count i owned. Close to 1k.
And i shot multiple round brands and types,relaods,, just what ever. And it ran it.
And the slide did rattle if you shook it, but I think that's exactly why it ran so flawless.

Kinda like the AK. Loose is good.  :th_thicon_funny:

I think their average ftf , fte, ,ftl 1911 failure  in the XM test was about 400. Which wasnt very good imo.
Dont remember for sure which manufacturers  pistols they used, I thought they were colts.

The SA cocked and locked safety issue was non negotiable with me.

I really prefer a DA / SA anyway. No doubt caused by so many years CC  a beretta, 
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline dred

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »
Hmmm ...

I've never had that problem with a 1911.

But ... I just sold my M&P 2.0 'cause the unused side of the ambi safety I installed swept the safety off too frequently AND no single side thumb safety is offered.

It just spoiled the cocked and locked comfort.  No negligent discharges but there was one in my future at the rate it was failing.

Ambi safeties worry me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline AdioSS

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 05:22:51 PM »
The ambi side isnít the problem with this holster.
Cheston