Author Topic: No spam calls with I phone updated to iOS 13  (Read 547 times)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
No spam calls with I phone updated to iOS 13
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:47:55 PM »
Learned something new today. If your I Phone is updated to iOS 13 you can send all incoming calls not on your contact list directly to voicemail without the phone ringing. No intrusive alerts, rings or vibrations just a red icon letting you know you missed a call.

Open Settings

Go to Phone

At bottom of page turn on "Silence Unknown Calls"

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: No spam calls with I phone updated to iOS 13
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:56:25 PM »
Thanks Alte.  We’ll see how well it works.

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 10:52:35 PM »
Mine must need an update.

I manually add to block list,, which I just looked,, it's a very long list. Lol.

So spammers only get to call me ONCE. 😁
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 06:06:26 AM »
While thats great folks like me who use their cell for their business really cant do that. I get calls from unknown (to me) numbers that are from possible customers. So I will have to continue with the manual system of “block this caller” after I determine its a BS number/call.

However it is good info to know and use for most.

I will for sure be letting my folks know how to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 12:21:44 AM »
I manually add to block list,, which I just looked,, it's a very long list.

Unless I'm mistaken, adding a number to your block list in an effort to combat spamming calls in particular is an exercise in futility.

Spammers/scammers these days use software to "spoof" phone numbers when they make calls, which means they can make one phone number -- theirs -- LOOK like a different phone number to your phone's caller ID each time they call, specifically because they know you'll just block one number after getting a spam call if you keep getting calls from that same number. This method effectively gives them an unlimited pool of numbers -- effectively EVERY phone number on Earth, including even your own (as has happened to me once) -- to use to spam you with, and practically no real defense against it other than simply not to answer.

More often than not, spammers -- which often times set up their operations out of the country and therefore US legal jurisdiction -- deliberately use phone numbers that are dead-ends, disconnected, or not in service so as to make it even harder to report them to the police. On the occasions where spammers DO spoof the working phone number of a legitimate person, that individual may not even realize someone was pretending to make calls from it.

It's gotten so bad that it's made the news MULTIPLE times within the last couple of weeks here in San Antonio. Somehow the scummy bastards have figured out how to spoof the number to City Public Services (the city electric company), and have been making spam calls to thousands of people in town. They even called me personally, disguising their number as the legitimate, working, publicly listed business phone number for CPS Energy: (210)353-2222. My phone even recognized it as being CPS because I have it saved to my contacts list. Though I knew better than to fall for the bull (they pretend your payments somehow haven't been getting processed correctly for the last couple of months, and that they're going to disconnect your services in 30 minutes if you don't pay up $___.__ immediately), they've apparently successfully defrauded other customers out of hundreds of thousands of dollars already.

Blocking numbers is really only useful these days for blocking people -- actual human people -- that are harassing you and don't have the technical know-how to disguise their caller ID info. Though normally Apple is anathema to Gilgondorin, they should at least still be commended for trying to do something about this annoying bulls*** because it's starting to get insanely out of hand. I'm up to usually a minimum of 3, and sometimes up to as many as 10 spam calls per day, which is really frustrating because -- like Shield45 -- I can't tell which calls to answer and which to ignore, because a lot of people often call me that aren't on my contacts list.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 05:07:00 AM »
This “White List” is working well Alte, thanks!