Author Topic: Back Up Gun (BUG)  (Read 985 times)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Back Up Gun (BUG)
« on: November 09, 2019, 12:36:35 AM »
I saw this discussion on another forum and since TGF members haven't had this subject brought up in awhile I thought I would bring it up again.

For those that carry do you feel it necessary to carry a back up gun on their person? For every day carry I usually do not. I do have a gun in my vehicle most of the time as well my carry gun on my hip. That's because I have in the past jumped in my car to go get something, usually yard or auto related, and forget my primary carry. But as a routine I do not.

For me a speed loader or extra magazine is sufficient. I have friend that always has a BUG. His mindset is it's easier to deploy another firearm than call timeout and reload. He, I believe, has somewhat of a valid point but the odds of needing to pull your primary to defend yourself and emptying your available ammo is close to winning the lotto.

For those that open carry. Many believe that anyone that OC is just a magnet for criminal types to identify  and incapacitate or disarm you first and take your firearm so a BUG is necessary. I find that a bit of a stretch but the belief that it could happen is frequently debated.

So what says ya'll? I do not want this thread turn into a CC/OC argument please. I don't care if you carry a BUG or not just curios.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Re: Back Up Gun (BUG)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 04:56:44 AM »
My BUG is a 12ga. shotgun!  :wave1:

I usually carry an extra mag, or speedloader, and call it good.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 05:22:16 AM »
guess I'm fading.....I rarely even carry anymore (but when I do it's my Sig 938 - no BUG)

do however have a G26 w/extra mag in the truck's console and an LCR .357 (loaded w/.38 special) in my Wife's truck's console
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 06:07:24 AM »
Seldom carry a bug.  But always have ...

Online DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »
I pretty much agree with AIte Schule original post.

I have always for felt  the normal citizen,   if you have a really good EDC, you dont need a bug. It's very unlikely you would ever have the time to use it. And with good EDC, WHY  would you need it.

If my CZ and a spare mag cant handle it,, its because I'm in the middle of a firefight,, not a personal protection situation. In that case, the only bug involved is trying to bug out and save chicken littles bacon.

I do keep several spare mags in my vehicles.

I've had a EDC on my hip pretty much 24/7  for over 30 years. And I NEVER leave the property without taking something.

At my rural home, the secondary is usually bigger, not a bug but a bull.  12 gauge full of buckshot. Bears are a bigger threat than 2 legged varmints.

If I gotta go outside at night here to investigate, a German shepherd, or 2,  and a 12 gauge go with me.

So, no, I've never messed with a bug.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 01:45:06 PM by DCD327 »
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 11:20:32 AM »
I do not usually carry a backup gun. I honestly do not carry an extra mag. To me, carrying a spare mag is more uncomfortable than carrying the gun. I have tried a few options.

My HK P2000 9mm has 13 rounds. I think that is good enough. Some people carry a 5 or 6 round revolver. I do not feel underarmed.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »
Seldom carry a bug.  But always have ...

actually (Richard) Lee Emery probably had a less distinguished, 11 years or so, Military career than the recruits in the video (if they're indeed  real Marines - not just actors)

he had a non-glorious RVN tour of 14 months 

got promoted to E6 (staff sergeant) before he medically retired from the Corps

his promotion to E7 (gunnery sergeant) was "honorary" 30 years after he left the Service

the guy was an "actor", not really a Military man.....I did/do, however, like the Hollywood stuff that he put out
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 01:55:07 PM »
I do not usually carry a backup gun. I honestly do not carry an extra mag. To me, carrying a spare mag is more uncomfortable than carrying the gun. I have tried a few options.

My HK P2000 9mm has 13 rounds. I think that is good enough. Some people carry a 5 or 6 round revolver. I do not feel underarmed.

I dont remember the "correct numbers", if they ever really had any,, but SD situations are like 99% resolved in the 1st couple shots.
And accuracy is everything.

When I open carry, it's rural, , camp, hunting, etc, an SA 45, 357, or 327fm,, and I never feel unarmed or under gunned.

As far as an EDC,  if the 14 rounds of 9mm in my CZ PCR cant get it done,, I'm hauling azz . Its time to GTF outta dodge.

It's rare i even carry a spare mag. If I get into an uncomfortable zone like pittsburgh,, I may grab a spare outta the console,, but it's rare.

Much easier to just totally avoid bad places where bad situations happen, if at all possible.

The guys that crack me up, and prolly need a whack on the noggin,, is the ones who go buy a $100 unreliable EDC,,, then buy another $100  backup.

Imo,, your foolish to carry either.

If you cant afford , or dont have enough sense to buy a reliable weapon In The 1st place,,then buy 2nd ,,    well,,,, :th_nuts:

1 really good gun is all you need  for personal SD imo.

Its gotta work 100%  of the time, , and YOU gotta be able to hit the target where you need to hit it. . It's really that simple.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 10:20:25 PM »
My back up gun isnít really a back up gun. I carry almost everywhere (canít at work), but I keep a gun in the car that I can easily get to if needed, even if Iím buckled in.

Matter of fact, I almost used it last week... I was at the duo-drive through Bank of America ATM in Tomball with my 15 year old daughter when the driver of the car at the neighboring ATM asked me for a pen, just then the passenger door opened and a car parked behind me playing music loudly. I couldnít see much of the passenger (looked like a 18-19 year old male) and I wasnít sure if the car behind me was with them, but I quickly grabbed my side/back up gun. Luckily nothing happened. I told the lady that I didnít have a pen and the passenger male shut the door. But my daughter was impressed she didnít know why I was pulling the gun out but after the incident we talked. She did realize that there was some messed up stuff happening and I explained why itís important to always be alert and prepared. My daughter now understands why I carry a gun daily.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline Babbalou1956

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 09:21:52 PM »
I don't always carry a BUG. But when I do, I prefer my Beretta Pico.
(2) Ruger LCR 38
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
(2) Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Taurus TX22
Marlin 795 .22 rifle