Author Topic: Hello, I was going to attend some gun shows in Texas and I'm trying...  (Read 309 times)

Offline MatthewDavenport

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
Hello, I was going to attend some gun shows in Texas and I'm trying to get a good deal,  how do you distinguish from private sellers and regular vendors?

I was looking for a used gun, private sellers will probably have better deals right? And general advice on going to a gun show.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I was going to attend some gun shows in Texas and I'm trying...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 10:39:32 PM »
Welcome. 
The last deal at any gun show was 1994.  :(

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 02:26:47 AM »
I used to go to gun shows all the time - but just the largest ones in Houston. There are 4 or 5 large vendors. Go for them. The small vendors usually sell things for too much, don't have any inventory, or they only carry crappy guns.

Until about 3 years ago, I went to all of the large, Houston gun shows. If I wanted to buy something, I always got there before they opened. So, I could get something before everyone paws the stuff and scratched the guns up.

One or two of the larger vendors went away, but there still should be 4 or 5. They actually have pretty damn good prices, too. I've bought a lot of stuff at gun shows over the past 20 years

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 11:50:08 AM »
I agree. I've found some great deals at gun shows over the years. Now good deals are rare. What really turned me off about shows was during the artificial ammo scare a few years ago. Ammo dealers at the Houston Gun Collectors Association were charging $25 for 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mag .22 LR and the same for 50 count Winchester white box 9mm.  The sad thing is people were lining up to buy.

There are a few local shows I'll attend but that's mostly because I always run into friends and x coworkers.  You can't score if you don't play so I'll spend my money to take a chance at the smaller local venues.

The Houston Gun Collectors Association has a show this weekend. http://www.hgca.org/our-gun-shows/
If I lived closer to the SPJST Lodge I would probably go. The NRG show next month will get a hard pass from me. With $15 parking and $10 entrance fee your out $25 before you go through the door and don't forget $5 for bottled water and $6 for a hotdog.

To answer your questions. Shows will have both licensed dealers and private sellers although some shows require a FFL just to buy table space.
If you see something you like always ask the vendor if it's OK to handle before picking it up.
If your looking for something in particular make sure you have a baseline on what the price is.
If your not sure Google is your friend just don't do a online price check in front of the vendor. It's considered impolite.
Bring a small flashlight to check barrel wear. Some firearms may look good on the outside but have bad internals. I've bought firearms that look like crap but were sweet shooters.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Some vendors are proud of their prices and won't budge. It's OK to walk away and think it over.
For some vendors gun shows are a business and others it's a hobby. I prefer the Mom & Pop tables but I try to look at everything.
If you see something that's priced twenty dollars less than what you see on line remember FFL and transfer fees add up. The gun show price may be the best.
Have fun.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 12:24:59 PM by Alte Schule »
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 12:46:06 PM »

The Houston Gun Collectors Association has a show this weekend. http://www.hgca.org/our-gun-shows/
If I lived closer to the SPJST Lodge I would probably go. The NRG show next month will get a hard pass from me. With $15 parking and $10 entrance fee your out $25 before you go through the door and don't forget $5 for bottled water and $6 for a hotdog.

Have fun.

I was going to go to that show today, but it is not in the larger building it usually is. And, the last HGCA show I went to about 3 years ago was a let down compared to their normal shows. Most of the larger vendors were not there that particular weekend....

I looked at the size of the building on google street view. Not very many vendors will be there. The usually hold the HGCA at the Reliant Center....

There is a show the weekend after Christmas - I think it is at the Bush Convention Center, I may go to that one

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »

Have fun.

I was going to go to that show today, but it is not in the larger building it usually is. And, the last HGCA show I went to about 3 years ago was a let down compared to their normal shows. Most of the larger vendors were not there that particular weekend....

I looked at the size of the building on google street view. Not very many vendors will be there. The usually hold the HGCA at the Reliant Center....

There is a show the weekend after Christmas - I think it is at the Bush Convention Center, I may go to that one
IIt's at the NRG (Reliant) center Jan. 25-26. $10 entrance fee plus $? parking.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »
Besides the HGCA show, there is a High Caliber show the weekend after Christmas

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 03:25:31 PM »
just me- the day of the decent find-a-great-deal-and-have-a-good-time
gunshows are over. i was going to guns shows back when i got old enough
to legally purchase guns, and it used to be a blast. lots of great deals to be had,
plenty of new and used, lots of parts of every description, food items and
samples of food items, and lots of cigars and such that you could light up
and smoke right there on the spot
and walk around and look while doing so.
nowdays it's lots of AR gadgets, lots of glock gadgets, and several tables
of guys who'll install your newly purchased AR or glock gadget for a fee.
there at the last of my run of gun shows, there were times where i might get
a table myself (they were affordable) and sell some of my excess goods.
it got to be too much hassle with these guys who would walk around in a
group while sucking on the earpiece of their glasses that should have been
on their face, and they'd stop and make a critique to the peanut gallery " I just
saw one of these online for $3.00. . " while handling your rare smith and wesson
whatever. these same guys would wander around and do this all over the show
to individuals and dealers alike, thus muddying the waters and ruining any chance
for deal on something that might have caught your eye. (i've had much the
same problem with tirekickers from vehicles and such i've posted online in
the past that i rarely sell anything online anymore)
there used to be lots of great deals on all manners of cutlery too, but the
last time i was at a show it was dominated by "collectors" and very expensive
collector pieces and safe queens, none of the "your choice $5.00" or "your
choice $10.00" boxes to be seen.
i can also remember a time where i might walk the line of folks waiting to
be admitted before the show opened the doors, and maybe buy a gun or
3 right there before anyone ever got inside the building.

sadly, those days are long gone and it's more or less the gawker and
lookee-loo show instead of the gun show these days.

if i were seriously looking for a good used firearm these days, i'd
be hitting the pawn shops one after the other, or put several WTB ads
online in different places.
one thing that hasn't changed- cash talks and b.s. walks, so have the
full amount of whatever you're ready to spend right there in your fist.

good luck
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 03:31:43 PM »
i should have also added that the women's costume jewelry and
scented candles and potpourri b.s. stuff have also displaced quite
a bit of space at modern gun shows.
they used to make all those who sold such foo-foo get back in the
far corner away from the guns and knives and such. if it wasn't
guns or knives you had to be out away from the real "meat".
these days, it's much like all the "sporting goods" store are going to,
and you have to wade through 6 tables of b.s. to look at 4 used shotguns
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible