Author Topic: Micro red dots  (Read 416 times)

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • I'm the Lord of the Platypi. Seriously.
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
Micro red dots
« on: October 27, 2019, 07:37:54 PM »
Any of you guys have a red dot on a handgun? I talked about how I just bought a P80 lower in another thread and then I found a Holosun 507c on sale so I bought that. Wondering if any of you have any experience with similar optics!
I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Micro red dots
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 09:02:37 PM »
I have had a Burris Fastfire III on my PMR 30 for a few years now. At first KEL Tec warned that placing a red dot optic and a slide mount would add to much weight for the slide to function properly. The trick was to keep the mount and the optic combined under 7 ounces. 
Some aftermarket company manufactured a 1.6 oz slide mount (Kel Tec offers their own now) and through different forums I found enough positive spin to take a chance on the 4 oz  Burris Fastfire. Works great. I try to keep it zeroed at 50 feet but have to readjust after every 100 rounds or so which is no big deal for me.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 09:44:08 PM »
I don’t mean to sound like a troll but I never understood why someone would need a red dot sight on a handgun...  I train with iron sights, to me an upgrade are night sights. If I need to shoot at a target 25 yards or more, I wouldn’t use the handgun. But that’s just me.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 11:14:15 PM »
Red dots make you faster and more accurate while maintaining better situational awareness. See the study linked here:

https://lockedback.com/results-4-year-handgun-red-dot-study-sage-dynamics/
I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 06:54:19 AM »
Red dots on a pistol are not my thing either.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 06:58:44 AM »
I've got 3 RDS' - had the slides milled to accommodate on 2 of our Glocks (G19 and G34) - the 3rd one is mounted on a hybrid Charger (upon which I'd rather have a Scope)

'twas "just the thing" a few years back but wouldn't buy them now - and, I much prefer a Laser on a pistol (but who knows, my cares and don't cares could change again)

don't think the benefit justifies the cost.....but, different strokes
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 10:29:14 AM »
I've got a 507c but no experience running it on a pistol.  I ordered an adapter plate to mount in on my ATI FXH45 (plastic-fantastic 1911) back in August.  Adapter is still backordered at Optics Planet and seemingly unavailable elsewhere.  Running the 507c on Sub 2000 presently and will order a 508 (Ti 507) when the plate for the plastic 45 arrives.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
What do you think of the 507c? I ordered it because it fits in RMR cut slides and it had generally positive reviews and a great price.
I have a few guns.

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 06:54:39 AM »
What do you think of the 507c? I ordered it because it fits in RMR cut slides and it had generally positive reviews and a great price.
I think it's awesome.  Same as you, the RMR cut sealed my decision.  I'm a circle dot guy.  So far having the circle half size of my others hasn't been a problem.  I really like the circle for quick and dirty range estimation plus it really helps pick up the dot.

If I had a Trijicon too, I honestly think I'd grab the Holosun first.

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
just me- the 3 red dot sights i had weren't satisfactory at all.
if they ever make one that self-adjusts the intensity of the
dot i might try it, but i doubt it.
any of my firearms have to be ready to use immediately when
they're brought to hand without any kind of adjustment to anything
other than clicking off a safety, or maybe pulling a hammer back
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 06:01:15 PM »

if they ever make one that self-adjusts the intensity of the
dot i might try it, but i doubt it.

So ... the Holosun 507c does self adjust.  But ... b4 you buy another trial, I'll let you know that it isn't good enough to get brightness correct where you might have a Target in much brighter light than the optic.  If lighting is the same at the pistol and the target, it works plenty good.

I watched a review by a real world operator type - his solution is to actively manage the manually set brightness.  It is controlled by up and down buttons that are easily accessed while his gun is holstered.  So he dims it as he enters darker areas and brightens it as he enters brighter areas.  Yes, he's committed.