Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 549 times)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
What would you do?
« on: October 02, 2019, 07:12:04 PM »
I had a "discussion" on another forum awhile back concerning confronting thieves caught trespassing on your property or found in the act of stealing something of value from you. I'm not talking about someone cutting across your lawn I'm talking about someone that ignores "no trespassing" signs and climbs a fence in order to attempt entry into your house or garage or steal property. Another scenario would be finding an unknown person or persons attempting to burglarize your vehicle, day or night, parked in the driveway, on the street in front your house or in your garage.
I was criticized and chastised by several people for saying I would arm myself and confront the problem. Was told that I should dial 911 and wait for the police. That no self defense instructor would recommend arming yourself and confronting unknown persons committing a crime on your property. This was a firearm enthusiasts forum if you can believe that.
This is not something I look forward to doing but I'll be damned if I'll let some meth head enter my life and steal from me. Hiding in my house waiting for the cops while my property walks off isn't in my DNA. I'm not some tough guy wanting an armed confrontation I just made up my mind many years ago not to let this happen to me or my family if I can help it. If someone defeats a lock and/or ignores signs, fences, security lights and cameras my German Shepard goes first and I'll be following close behind. Firearm in hand.
So what say you. Thoughts or feedback welcome.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 07:45:09 PM »
I agree with what you say as I don't go looking for trouble but if it comes I
won't run and hide while my stuff that I worked for gets taken.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline randyjaco

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 08:53:56 PM »
Same here
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »

Pick 1:

Be Prepared.

Pray for peace but prepare for war.

Hope for the best.  Plan for the worst.

I think we're all in line on this forum.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 06:26:56 AM »
Alte, I have been ceondemned, criticized, cojoled, and chastised for pretty much the same viewpoints on that same type of situations. The irony of this was it coming from so-called gun owners, and by those who claim to believe in the 2nd Amendment.

A thief is a thief. They know right from wrong, and know stealing is wrong. And if the risk for stealing may be a bullet, so be it.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Army 1911

• Military
  • 3 Yard Shooter
  • 1911 Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »
I   bet the peeps on the other gun board don't  have castle or stand your ground laws.  Some places you have a duty to retreat.
A well balanced breakfast, being necessary to the health of the nation, the right of the people to keep an eat cereal shall not be infringed.  Now who gets the ceral, the breakfast or the people?
Sure I'll shoot your Glock.  Just hang it with the rest of the targets.

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 02:43:01 PM »
when i was a kid, the keys were left in the cars, the doors on the houses
were seldom locked, and everyone left everyone else's sh*t alone and didn't
mess with anything that wasn't theirs.
i personally think it should still be like that, but it's far from it.
these days, if something gets stolen from your residence or wherever, you're
treated as if you did something wrong, something illegal, something immoral
and out of line.
" don't you have insurance ? " " don't you have surveillance cameras ?"
" you know you can't have expensive things like that without attracting criminals. . "
i've heard all that b.s. many a time, and i'm sure many others have too.

oh yeah. . ." they've probably made it to mexico by now. ."
to me that just means they're not interested enough to go look
for my property like they're paid to do.

nobody wants to defend your home and property and life,
but they don't want you to either.
it's a big crock of stinking doo-doo IMO
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
What would you do?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »
Come around my place uninvited especially after dark and if one or both of thesehasnt already deterred you from remaining well then be prepared to look at the business end of one of these

It may or maynot provide a loud noise and a bright flash up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline randyjaco

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 05:55:31 PM »
Growing up in Mississippi, just about every pick-up had a gun rack with 1 or 2 long guns or shotguns resting on them. Those pick-ups were seldom locked and all summer the windows were wide open. I don't remember a single gun being stolen, although some went missing for a day or two during dove or deer season :rocknroll2:
Randy
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 06:00:30 PM »
Growing up in Mississippi, just about every pick-up had a gun rack with 1 or 2 long guns or shotguns resting on them. Those pick-ups were seldom locked and all summer the windows were wide open. I don't remember a single gun being stolen, although some went missing for a day or two during dove or deer season :rocknroll2:
Randy
Same thing in Lubbock in the 70ís. 

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 06:02:20 PM »
Randy
Same thing in Lubbock in the 70ís.
Same in Bulverde TX in 70s but gents this ainít the 70s and kids today have mo respect for other or others belongings as is evident by what goes on today vs 40 yrs ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 10:56:48 PM »
 :th_thicon_idea:  I do just what your talking about. I arm myself, and take a German Shepherd , or 2, or 3, with me.

My dogs have probably saved me from shooting prowlers a couple times.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 01:15:04 PM by DCD327 »
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline RaySendero

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
If my GSD goes to fight, I'm going, too!

Think my dog is smarter than a lot of the lefties these days!
Ray

Offline Txhillbilly

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 09:06:14 PM »
It would take the Sheriff's dept. 30 - 45 minutes to respond to a call around here. I've got nice sandy loam soil,and the keys to a backhoe handy - Problem solved!  :th_thicon_idea:
I have worked too hard and too long to acquire the things I have,and if I caught someone trying to steal my things,they don't have to worry much about going to jail with me.

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 09:37:43 AM »
I would exercise my rights to the fullest extent that the law allows.
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Offline Army 1911

• Military
  • 3 Yard Shooter
  • 1911 Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 07:41:14 PM »
Whatever I do, it will be legal, moral and non-fattening.
A well balanced breakfast, being necessary to the health of the nation, the right of the people to keep an eat cereal shall not be infringed.  Now who gets the ceral, the breakfast or the people?
Sure I'll shoot your Glock.  Just hang it with the rest of the targets.

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 11:21:59 PM »
Whatever I do, it will be legal, moral and non-fattening.

Iíll agree for me on the first two but respectfully disagree on the non-fattening part. :)
(Iíve lost 10 lbs since starting the new gig and I need the fat)

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2019, 12:49:20 AM »
In conversations I've either had personally or overheard over the last decade, many different street-level beat cops have all basically said the philosophy of self defense from THEIR standpoint as law enforcement is "If you shoot, you'd better hope A.) you have a fence around your yard, and (NOT "or") B.) you'd better hope you hit him badly enough that can't make it back over the fence. If he's inside it, it's an open and shut case -- he's in your property and that's that. If he makes it back over the fence or collapses out in the middle of the street, you're probably going to spend the next __ years and a giant pile of money going back and forth in court trying to fend off accusations that he might not have ever actually been on your property at all."

With that in mind, and factoring in the changing political climate in this state as a modifier, Gilgondorin is working on implementing a three step solution to deal with the problem:
1.) Hit the lotto
2.) Sell this house (immediately)
2.) Follow Tango's example and buy another one out in the middle of nowhere far away from other people, so that we can avoid dealing with this s*** in the first place

Progress thus far is slow, but optimism is still high.

(We would probably actually get faster results just going with plan B instead -- a giant moat of lava -- but that would make getting porch deliveries unnecessarily difficult and I'm not sure the neighbors would be down with it.  :P)

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »
. . . .  buy another one out in the middle of nowhere far away from other people, so that we can avoid dealing with this s*** in the first place

even then, you still have to do your research. there are a lot of places that were
decent and relatively crime free when i was a kid that are nests of criminal activity
these days.
one place i looked at before buying was interesting, but it turned out the guy had
been dealing out of his house at the place, and may have even had a small lab there.
i could just imagine waking up in the wee hours and having some tweaker pointing
a shotgun at my nose and asking me " whurs jim bob at ? he owes me for a quarter pound. . ."
or some b.s. like that. i was also wary of using the well since i didn't know what may
be down there, or what might be hidden or buried on and around the place.

i have found that you need to buy enough land for a sort of buffer zone around you
if you want to have any kind of peace and tranquility. and be fairly far away from any
sort of town, even if it's just a 1 dollar store and 1 gas station/convenience store and
a walmart kind of town. it'll surprise a lot of people how many "isolated" places are
full of methheads that are supposedly fine upstanding citizens
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible