Author Topic: Did the hydro plane yesterday  (Read 463 times)

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Did the hydro plane yesterday
« on: September 19, 2019, 06:12:49 PM »
There was rain all around us when I went out to run some errands yesterday afternoon and the weather radar showed everything was east of College Station. Skies opened up when I was on my way to Academy. Got off the highway onto the south feeder, for those familiar with the area this was right in front of Central Park, slowed to about fifty MPH and noticed water pooled in the road ahead. Slowed a little more before I hit the water and the next thing I know my ass end came around, went down the embankment backwards then straightened out and then hit the slight up rise to the highway where I stopped with a big thud. Another 10 feet and i would have entered the highway driver side to traffic.
My Genesis never died. No warning lights or audible alarms. Put it in reverse and backed on up the embankment to the road w/o a problem. Stopped in the Academy parking lot. No body damage no fluid leaks. Lots of grass in the spokes and grill. Runs fine. Lucky.
My dash cam video shows the whole episode from me leaving the road to stopping took a little over three seconds. The only thing audible on the video was me saying "damn" when I stopped. Been driving 50 + years and had that happen once before abut 30 years ago. Be safe out there.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:05:53 PM by Alte Schule »
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Did the hydro plane yesterday
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 06:38:37 PM »
Damn, you are lucky. Glad it was nothing serious in the end.

Many years ago, I hydroplaned across 4 lanes of traffic and ended up on the other side, facing 180 degrees from the way I was driving. I slid between traffic and miraculously never hit anyone or anything. But scary as hell!!!

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 07:04:43 PM »
Damn, you are lucky. Glad it was nothing serious in the end.

Many years ago, I hydroplaned across 4 lanes of traffic and ended up on the other side, facing 180 degrees from the way I was driving. I slid between traffic and miraculously never hit anyone or anything. But scary as hell!!!

With Lights & siren?

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 07:16:54 PM »
I was very lucky. If I hadn't slowed down I probably would have flipped when I first when off the road. Lucky there was a slight embankment going up to the highway which caused car to stop. Lucky that it happened in about a 20 yard space between a telephone pole and concrete culvert. Lucky that we had been w/o rain for so long that the area was still fairly dry. I bet in another ten minutes there would be no way I could have gotten out w/o a tow.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 06:27:57 AM »

"..My Genesis never died.."

so, is "Genesis" another name for some of your clothes-covered body parts ?

(phew, lucky lucky lucky)

I'm curious tho, why do you have a "dash camera" ?  did it come with the car or did you put it in ?
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 12:54:50 PM »

"..My Genesis never died.."

so, is "Genesis" another name for some of your clothes-covered body parts ?

(phew, lucky lucky lucky)

I'm curious tho, why do you have a "dash camera" ?  did it come with the car or did you put it in ?
I live in a town with thousands of young inexperienced drivers and have had many a close call with inattentive young adults. On a couple of automotive forums I frequent members post dash cam videos of their close calls and accidents where they were able to prove, sometimes after being sued, that the other driver was at fault and that got me to thinking.
I also like "gadgets". So last year, for less than $60, I bought the camera and sim card on Amazon. Had it
installed in less than 10 minutes. The camera comes on when and I start the car and I have it programmed to record on a three minute loop on high resolution. After the initial set up everything is controlled through an app on my I phone. Just save the video to my phone if I need it.

Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 03:07:20 PM »
so, in a way, it's similar to a Red Light Camera

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 03:39:09 PM »
so, in a way, it's similar to a Red Light Camera
When I was typing that I thought you would come back with a red light camera reference.  :th_thicon_funny: :th_thicon_funny:
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 05:53:14 PM »
yeah, ya sorta walked into that one..... :th_thicon_lol:

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 06:04:16 PM »
yeah, ya sorta walked into that one..... :th_thicon_lol:
Nah, I'm Psychic
Toussaint Louverture